120 Games, 1 Goal - Pile of Shame: 0

In hindsight I really should have known to do this in the first place, but thank you @nath_kai for moving this into one thread :slight_smile:

Just so I can keep it all consistent and on the one page, here’s the original post of log #001:

Shamelog #001 - A Far Cry From 5 Years Ago

For my first week of playing through every game I own, I’ve decided to go through the 9 games my partner has bought for me over the years. First up: Far Cry 3.

Having never played a Far Cry, I wasn’t exactly familiar going in, but I recognized the Ubi formula right away. It’s weird how some aspects of the game already feel dated - I didn’t enjoy climbing the towers one bit, particularly coming off Breath of the Wild. The outposts though, they were a different story. Every single one was a joy to deconstruct, ambush and stealth through.

The story, while not necessarily the number one draw of the game, is solid. In 2017, it seems a bit obvious in a sense, but I can imagine in 2012 it might’ve been a revelation. It’s a testament to how far games have come even in this relatively short space of time - Far Cry 3 seems like one of those games that succeeded in pushing gaming forward, both narratively and in open world design.

The cast of characters is also pretty great, and really, excellently directed. The characters native to the island were all well portrayed and intriguing, the main character’s friends were crafted in just the right way to give you enough doubt in the final moments of the game, and Jason himself was both likeable enough to play as, yet unlikable enough to keep a slight disconnect between him and the player. Vaas was a particular standout - I always feel enamored with characters who aren’t all there, and boy, does he pull it off well.

Endgame spoilers below.

[spoiler]I love the exploration of the themes Far Cry 3 lays out. A lot of games involve death at the hands of the protagonist, but few manage to grapple with what that means effectively. While I don’t particularly play many shooters, the ones that allow for more realistic characterization and consequence are the ones I’m drawn to. I’m a big fan of Spec Ops: The Line for that very reason, and I now see how people put that and Far Cry 3 in the same category.

Jason’s enjoyment of the situation he’s in really shines throughout the story missions involving the rescue of his friends - the driving sequence during the scene where you are saving his girlfriend was the standout for me, where Jason is borderline laughing maniacally at the destruction while Liza is suitably freaking the fuck out. These moments are what lead me to make the decision for Jason to stay on the island during the final moments of the game. I got the feeling that “save your friends” was the fantasy choice, the choice for those that treat the game as a cautionary tale; whereas “join Citra” seemed like the realistic option, the affirmation of the path that lead Jason to that moment, the “true” response to everything as it were. I had no problem with Jason being stabbed in the end, as it seemed a fitting end to the destruction he had wrought.[/spoiler]

Far Cry 3 is, weirdly, a game that has already aged somewhat. I almost wish I had have played it at the time of release, because I feel like it might have become one of my all time favourites, but through playing a decent amount of games between then and now that also tackle similar themes and house mature stories, it feels a little like the product of its time. That’s not to say it isn’t a great game! I enjoyed the story and characters, the outposts and the destruction. It would still be sitting on my shelf right now if I hadn’t decided to go down this pile of shame path, and I’m already glad that I did.

Have we got any fans of the Far Cry series in here? Thoughts on the game? Favourite moments, memories you’d like to share? Would love to talk about this game some more to be honest, it stuck with me a little more than I thought it would.

Statistics

Games left to play: 119

Current game: Code Name STEAM, (maybe) Until Dawn

I can’t speak for the person who took it, but that’s what my game looks like, so it should be.

Thank you for consolidating your threads! I’m looking forward to seeing how you progress with this - I found out yesterday my Steam library is nearing 600 games, so I think if you can clear yours by the end of the year I’ll be done by… 2022? :weary:

It’s always interesting to read about someone really clicking with a game that didn’t work for me - I struggled with Far Cry 3’s thematic heavy-handedness and white saviour narrative, and ended up spending most of my time climbing up towers so I could wingsuit across that beautiful island! :sunglasses:

One thing I really enjoyed that’ll stick with me is being able to scout and plan attacks on outposts and bases - skirting a wide circle around them monitoring patrol routes, sizing up opportunities for chaos - it’s not an experience I replicated until I was playing MGSV, and I loved it there, too.

Scouting in Far Cry 3 is especially memorable for me since my time scouting either ended with a tiger’s growl right by my ear, or a tiger wandering into the outpost I was watching, setting off a dozen alarms and single-pawedly clearing the base.

I also have been working on my backlog, but I considered it unrealistic to ban myself from buying new games until I’d played everything I own. For 2 years now I’ve been making slow, steady progress through my backlog with the following 3 rules.

• Play 2 games for every 1 I buy
  • You don’t have to finish every game, but aim to play 5-10 hours
  • If you screw up, don’t give up

In a little over 2 years, I’ve played 121 games, finishing 74 of them. I have 79 games remaining unplayed in my backlog. (I started at ~140.) I’ve spent an average of 14 hours on each game (whether finished or merely “played.”) I started out putting 10 hours into every game I didn’t finish, but I soon realized that some games just weren’t my thing, & that it didn’t make sense to keep playing something I wasn’t enjoying, even if I thought I could beat it fairly quickly. The initial discipline was good, but now it’s about making responsible purchasing choices and using my time wisely. In my opinion, forming better habits is more important than hitting 0; and I’ve already accomplished that. (Though of course, I will celebrate wildly when I hit 0.)

I’m 7 6 games off 1000. But I realised a while ago that a) Buying games and seeing them in my library makes me just as happy as playing them, and b) I enjoy having a vast library to dip my toes into whenever I please.

I have certainly considered trying to clear the backlog. There is a certain satisfaction that comes with ticking things off a list, after all. But I like games for the new experiences they bring. Jumping around from title to title is my way of seeing as many different experiences as possible, even if it is pretty reckless for my wallet.

The only good memory I have of the Far Cry 3 story, is the part where you burn the weed fields while Skrillex is playing. I stopped playing shortly after that. I did enjoy the encampments however, but at that point I had done all the ones on the Island. I didn’t realise there was another island until somebody told me years later.

@nath_kai ha dude, I’m only hoping to have at least 9 games done by the end of the year - we’re still gonna be going by 2022 at this rate :joy:
I can totally understand why the narrative didn’t click, and to be honest, it didn’t really for me either - it ended up being a thing I could appreciate from a distance, if that makes sense? It felt like I was more understanding how the character was acting and why, rather than relating to it in any way. I was only 20 and not as deep into gaming when it came out, so that’s where I wonder if it might’ve ended up an all time favourite (not that I’m some wise ass old man now haha, but you know :stuck_out_tongue: )
The outposts are definitely the best thing about that game, and are definitely what has me more interested than I was in playing 4. Is MGS V similar is it? I haven’t read much into that game or series (only having watched a playthrough of 1) but if it’s along those lines, I might just be more keen to play that too!
Ha oh damn, those tigers are SO scary, especially at the start! I thought the game had glitched at one point, because I took out a base as I was strolling passed without even looking at it - then when I went to investigate, all I could see was bodies strewn about the place with a tiger prowling the center. Can only imagine what the elephants are like in 4!

@lintspeed Those are definitely some good guidelines to go by. I’m already fawning for the idea of playing Destiny 2 and Yonder: Cloud Catcher Chronicles on release, but damn it I’m going to stick to it now! I guess it’s more of an experiment than anything… an experiment in how stubborn I am haha :stuck_out_tongue: kudos to knocking out so many games though, that is impressive! I definitely think it’s important to know when a game just isn’t for you though, so I think I’ll be following your cue at some point and putting some games down that I just know I’ll never like. Kind of wish I had’ve done that with Puzzle’s N Dragon’s Mario Edition a few years back… that was a perfect example of when stubbornness ain’t always a good thing lol.

@Supa_Kappa hey if you’re happy to spend that money and build that library, there’s nothing wrong with that! Different people play gamings in different ways, as long as you enjoy what you do, that’s what matters :slight_smile: That way, you be on top of the convo whenever anyones talking about a game - you probably have experienced at least a part of it at some point!

I’m starting a similar project but I’m not holding myself to finish every game and a lot of games I’m not even bothering with, mostly long games, as I just don’t have the time. Still working on the list.

I found myself in a similar scenario (though not as bad, more like 50 titles), but I ended up just changing my habits and dropping most of the games from my list (Arkham City, Alice, Bulletstorm, etc).

• I won’t buy a game unless I plan to play it right away.
  • I won’t buy a game if I’m currently in the middle of one.
  • I won’t buy a game if I’ve been playing something that’s inherently replayable (Diablo, Overwatch, MMOs, etc).
  • I won’t browse sales for games to buy (I used to be a big-time /r/gamedeals poster and follower, this was my biggest downfall).
  • I won’t buy an older game without watching at least 30 minutes of gameplay first (this tends to satiate impulse buys).

It’s been working well for me so far. The only game I’ve bought this year that I didn’t finish was Persona Q for the 3DS. In that case, it wasn’t clicking for me, and it’s a massive undertaking in terms of hours, so I dropped it guilt-free! I found having that big backlog stressful, so it was best just to ‘get rid of it’, in a sense.

A lot of the games I dropped are titles I still have interest in, but I know they’re the types of titles where I’m going to play the first 60-120 minutes, think “I’m tired” to myself, and then never come back to. If GB or Waypoint played through them I’d love them, but I’ll never get through them on my own.

I’ve finished 6 or 7 long games this year (30h+), and not because I have more time, but because I’m focusing, and playing games that I really enjoy. It’s helped me square away long titles from my backlog that I genuinely wanted to play, like Yakuza 5, and it kept me on track for completing Persona 5. I don’t really find myself worrying any less about “is this an acceptable number of hours for the price”, but I’m having way more fun with the games that meet that self-imposed quota now.

Good luck with the backlog! I’m looking forward to checking in on your progress every so often. :slight_smile:

I really like your idea of watching a substantial chunk of gameplay first before buying older titles, I’m sure that alone would’ve saved me dozens of times over the last couple years haha. I think, like you, it was the focus that I needed - After thinking it’s going to take me ages to finish anything, it surprised me that I blew through Far Cry 3 so fast and am already halfway through Code Name STEAM. I guess that structure helps a lot more than I thought!

Shamelog #002 - Full S.T.E.AM. Ahead

2 weeks in, 2 games done and dusted. Not bad!

This last week saw me powering through Code Name STEAM, a game I was hyped for pre-release thanks to my love of Fire Emblem - but then dropped like a hot potato once I saw the reviews and complaints. My impressions going in last Monday were tied to Austin’s heavy dunking on it on the Beastcast, so I was expecting to be frustrated to no end. Happily, the improvements made to the game post launch (most notably the “speed up enemy turn” option, though also including some needed balancing) turned Code Name STEAM into a challenging yet fun 20 hour campaign.

In the beginning, I did not give a shiiiiiiit about the characters or story. I appreciate a good wacky game, but it felt like this steampunk-alt-history romp-with-storybook-characters was a little dumb. Well, for the first half at least - by the final 3rd or so, I ended up invested in the earnestness of the crew on board my steam powered blimp. I particularly appreciated the twist that came about just after Dorothy came aboard - definitely did not see that coming.

The combat style of this game, with its 3rd person over the shoulder movement and lack of map, frustrated me to begin with. Part of what makes FE so satisfying is knowing the variables at play - not having that knowledge, combined with the constant forward-push of new enemy reinforcements at the rear, did not bode well. But, once you get your head around what the game is trying to do and start working within the confines it presents, the tactical plays you start making are so gratifying. Each new character that is introduced adds a new layer of possible strategy to your roster - Even smaller, weaker units like Tom Sawyer became mainstays for my team.

The only complaint I would lay at the feet of Code Name STEAM is I wish it would give you more information about a mission before diving in. Often I would start a map and immediately realise that I’d chosen the wrong units for the job, causing me to need to back out to the menu and reconfigure my team. There is a “suggested” option prior to each map, but weirdly I found those units to not actually be the best choice.

Even with those minor complaints, I was surprised by the fun and depth Code Name STEAM provided, and was glad it was on this list. I know I 100% would have skipped it otherwise - turns out, the improvements and balances made post-release turned this game from an exercise in frustration to a solid tactical romp with more heart than you would expect.

Statistics
Games left to play: 118
Current game: Watch_Dogs

I’ve gotten to a point in with my backlog where I don’t set out to beat a game unless I really enjoy it. Most of the time I’ll play about 30 min to 2 hours of a game and then say, “Alright, I think I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of this.” I especially do this with Steam games since we all tend to have more of those and get them for much cheaper.

I played though Undertale, Human Resource Machine and No Time to Explain over the past week.

Debating what to tackle next. I do have Horizon: Zero Dawn in the shrinkwrap still, but I’m also not quite sure I’m read for another open-world game right now (Beat Witcher 3 back in March). Might just keep playing these small games on my backlog. Also tempted to finally dig into those games I bought during the PS4 sale like Resident Evil Remake and Bully.

@ChronoPunk that’s totally fair. Especially when they are games you picked up for next to nothing, you can really be happy knowing you gave it a fair shake and gotten what you want out of it.

@TheJames Oh man, yeah I could see needing to hold off on Horizon. I feel like similar sorts of games suffer if you play them one after another? I played through the beginning of Horizon and totally loved it, but it’s been put aside as a “not yet” thanks to Zelda. I have no doubt I will dive so deep into that game, but I only really want to when I’m really feeling like that kind of game. Also, I hope you enjoyed Undertale! It’s in my all time favourites, but (as talked about in the Undertale topic on these forums) I imagine it might be difficult to really love now due to higher expectations and spoilers as such? Curious how you found it.

I started a project like this about two years ago (albeit less strict, and without writing about it more than a few times) and have finished a bunch of really cool games I would have otherwise ignored had I not made the effort to really dive into my library.

I think you’ve chosen a good bunch of games to start out with, so playing through them should come easily. However, I would like to share one thing I learned when I started playing through my own backlog: If you find you really don’t like a game, you don’t have to finish it. My rule going in was that I didn’t have to finish every game in my library, I just had to give each one a fair shake. I had a lot more games than you though, so time was sort of an issue haha. =p

I’m only into my 3rd game and I know what you mean - Code Name STEAM was definitely abandoned, and I’d half given up on Far Cry 3 in favour of just playing the newer one(s). So glad I decided to do this already!
Yeah I totally agree, I can tell there’s probably going to be a couple out of these 120 that just won’t be a good fit for me - the key is to play them until I have finished with them, which doesn’t necessarily mean completed in some cases. I’m pretty confident that most of these titles are up my alley though - they were curated from a larger list where a ton more have just gone in the cupboard/“Steam sales” list, never to return. Still, I’m having a blast already, so that’s a good thing!

This is kinda off topic but I just finished far cry 4 and… I honestly don’t see how people can call it a better story than Far Cry 3, even considering how bad 3 got in some places. The gameplay is still solid and the bad guy is intriguing but… man, that story did nothing for me on any level.

The two rebel leaders were really unlikable; I wanted to help neither of them. The running around and general Far Cry-ness was good but I could leave the story. The stuff with the CIA agent was fun though.

That doesn’t bother me so much I think, because I definitely played the game for the world and the outposts rather than the story. It is a shame 4 has those shortcomings though. Really hoping 5 picks up on that front… kinda feels like a disaster in the making if it doesn’t.

@Lassemomme @Ali_D have either of you played Primal? I’m curious about it, but I don’t know where that’s gonna land on priorities once I’ve finished this list.

Haven’t played it but sounds like even more of the same thing by all accounts, and it doesn’t sound like anything essential, so to speak. I’ll put it this way: even my friends who are seriously, irresponsibly and dangerously into the far cry formula felt that Primal went back to the well a bit too much.

Fair enough, might knock it down a few steps in priority. Then again I’m planning on playing another 6 or so assassins Creed games, so formulaic isn’t something that bothers me too much haha