120 Games, 1 Goal - Pile of Shame: 0

Definitely! It was actually quite refreshing to have a group of characters that were basically with you for there own reasons, rather than just following you because you were the hero. I was thinking theres no way there could be a happy ending here, but yeah it certainly was a good way to wrap up the story.

2 Likes

Shamelog #014 - Reflection

You know what’re good wholesome games? 3D Mario games. Specifically, Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U.

Loren doesn’t really play games, but every now and then she’ll come to me and say, “do you wanna play some Mario?” We have Super Mario 3D World set aside for these very occasions.

I’m definitely with Patrick on this one - the Wii U is a massively underrated console, if only because it has a library of truly fantastic experiences. We’ve just made it to Bowsers final world with 3D World, and even though it’s taken us 2-ish years to get to this point, it’s always easy to jump in and enjoy a couple of levels. Plus, picking Loren up and throwing her over a ledge always makes me giggle. In the game of course.

Post RPG I like to have a bit of a break from games, to let it all soak in. Apart from an hour of Mario, I’ve spent the week reminiscing on Tales of Berseria, and it’s already crystallising in my mind as a great memory. There’s something to be said for thinking about what you’ve accomplished when putting down a game you’ve sunk dozens or hundreds of hours into - reflection is an important part of life we often forget about these days.

The plan ahead, however, is a simple one. Thanks in large part to Waypoint 101 and what occurred in Charlottesville last weekend, it’s time to kill some nazis. I hear Wolfenstein: The New Order is just the ticket we’re after.

Statistics
Games left to play: 116
Current game: Wolfenstein: The New Order

2 Likes

The New Order is good enough that you don’t really need a reason to play it, but I’ll be damned if that isn’t a great reason to play it.

I only recently joined the forum so I just read through this plan of yours and it’s great to see that you are working through the backlog!

I have about 10 years of buying games on you (I think I saw somewhere that you are around mid 20’s) and unfortunately it was the chunk of time (25-35) where you tend to end up with a lot more money but not as much time. So now I have somewhere in the realm of 350 games on steam and about another 100 on gog.

One of my biggest problems after years of listening weekly to multiple gaming podcasts where they are always talking about the newest/greatest/best is that I’ve often tried to keep up with the new game schedule in order to better understand, and be part of, the conversation. What that’s led me to though is buying full priced games, playing for maybe a handful of hours, and then putting the game aside for whatever is next. Then if I even do end up coming back to the game it’s at a point where it’s probably been down to $10 or less in a steam sale and if I had just waited until then I would have saved loads of cash. So I spent upwards of $60 (sometimes more with CEs) for only a few hours of gaming, often in games with dozens of hours since I really enjoy RPGs.

So this year I’ve started to do something similar to what you are doing. Instead of playing through all my games though (something like close to 400 days of continuous playtime it looks like), I’m trying to finish at least 10 games before I can look at buying a new one. Also, when I do buy them I don’t want to buy full priced games anymore, and by making myself complete 10 games between buying it gives new games a chance to become discounted before I pick them up. In doing this I have noticed that I’ve been able to place some of my completionist tendencies aside and consider a game finished once I see the credits, instead of going back through and trying to collect things I’ve missed and whatnot.

The one problem that I’ve run into though is that a lot of the games I’ve been playing recently are the type of games that really never end: WOW (picked back up after about 8 years for who knows why), Diablo 3, Euro Truck Sumulator 2, Forza Horizon 3. A few months back I fully finished The Witcher 3 (including the expansions) and I’ve been drifting a little trying to find another RPG that pulls me in as much as that game did.

I’m definitely going through Wolfenstein as part of Waypoint 101 so that should be another tick off the list in a week or so!

These are the games I’ve finished this year since starting this, it’s not much when compared to my full backlog but hey it’s something:

• Wing Commander 1 (I’m also trying to play through some much older space games I missed growing up)
  • Tomb Raider (2013)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine Expansion (took 40 hours so I’m counting this!)
  • Dark Souls III
1 Like

@Lassemomme true that!

@flunkhaus welcome to the Waypoint Forums! Thanks for the encouragement :slight_smile: Yeah I know the feeling, for a bit there I was listening to 15 different podcasts a week, and across all platforms that’s a ton of games. People who actually are in the games industry don’t manage to play all the games, I don’t know how I thought I’d be able to haha.

I was definitely getting that way by the end of last year - Fallout 4, Watch Dogs 2, MGS V, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, The Last Guardian, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and FE Fates were already purchased as collectors editions, with Horizon, Zelda, Nier Automata, FE Echoes and Torment Tides of Numenera collectors editions pre-ordered. I had to ask myself, why? Once I took a step back and realized how much money I was wasting, I knew I had to change my habits.

That’s a good plan really, you get to keep up with the new stuff without going overboard. I’ve already been yearning to play Yonder: Cloud Catcher Chronicles & Hellblade, and I know Super Mario Odyssey is gonna almost break me. That’s also important when it comes to finishing games - it’s when you have finished with it, not when the game is done with you. With Far Cry 3 for example, I only liberated the bases and saw the story through - apart from checking out a few pieces of side content, most of that was left to the wayside, and I’m happy with that.

Haha yes, you may have noticed all the games on my list have a definitive end, even if they are big RPG’s. No MMO rabbit holes for me haha :smile: I guess at the end of the day though, if you’re enjoying your time with a game, then keep going, even if you’ve been at it 1000’s of hours. I put a bit over 2000 into Runescape back in the day, and I look back on that fondly - but once I realized I was just grinding 95% of the time, I ended up moving on. To each their own though! Grind can be good sometimes.

To be fair, those are some serious games you’ve knocked off there! All very good ones too from all accounts. I’m seriously looking forward to The Witcher 3 when I make it there :laughing:

1 Like

Shamelog #015 - A Wander in the Unknown

After giving notice in our place of rent last week, it’s been go time with packing, moving, packing, moving and oh, more moving, so sadly there’s been bugger all time to sit down and game in this household lately. I did however end a couple nights with a bit of time in my favourite wander simulator, No Man’s Sky.

I know everyone ragged on this game hard at release, but I was one of the seemingly few people who took the game for what it was rather than what it was marketed as and really enjoyed my time wandering around this universe. Where others saw loneliness and repetitiveness, I saw peaceful solitude and joyful meandering. Each time Hello Games have added to the game, I’ve dropped back in to check out what’s new - and this time around, it’s hit that point of “you should totally see this."

The story, while not necessarily the reason I came to NMS, is welcome as an option. I’ve only just reached the meeting with Apollo, and I’m all in. I wasn’t necessarily even going to check it out at first, but the way Austin talked about it on Monday’s WP Radio really got me interested.

The best part of NMS is the mystery - it’s inner workings are shrouded in secrecy, and the potential for discovery of something insanely cool drives me to go on. I stumbled upon a low gravity planet earlier in the week, where huge, flat sheets of iron floated just above ground. If only my jet packing around had’ve reflected that gravity shift… maybe in the next update.

I know it’s not on my list, but this game is one of those ones that is just perfect for certain situations. Turns out, No Man’s Sky is the perfect game for turning your brain off and just chilling in. Wander about, see some cool shit. Works for me.

Side note: the nazi slaying will come soon - I imagine the first ep of the WP 101 will kick me into gear with that :slight_smile:

Statistics
Games left to play: 116
Current game: No Man’s Sky, Wolfenstein: The New Order

3 Likes

Shamelog #016 - We (Don’t) Like to Move it Move it

Moving house is a pain.

There’s so much to do, then there’s even more that you didn’t realize needed to be done.

Gaming was pretty much out the window for me this week, so much so that I’ve missed my regular post by a day. Kind of hard to game when all the devices are boxed up I guess!

The PS4 is now all set up at least, so some Wolfenstein will definitely be in Order very soon. (See what I did there?)

Games Left to Play: 116
Currently Playing: Nothing! But soon, Wolfenstein

Too many games!

That’s my argument about a lot of stuff lately: just don’t play that game that you feel icky about for some reason, you can play something else! And a lot of that “something else” I already have. So, I decided to do something similar and not buy more games this year (i.e. September through December). Saving is always good, but it’s not about money. It’s just a bit of backlog shame and a bit of… something else. Not sure what, political ickyness towards some stuff? Maybe I just want to clear my head and backlog a bit. Also, “an experiment in how stubborn I am” – same! :­)

First, don’t expect elaborate writing about games I finished, so I’m not gonna hijack this thread ;­) But if it’s OK with you, @Lawnch, maybe a monthly summary, just to keep myself accountable? At the very least I will continue to post finished games to my Backloggery (I know, I use that site wrong).

Second, I think clearing a backlog would be a by-product, rather than a goal. So my rules are:

• Three strike rule: I can slip and buy two games, but no more. It’s just for something that my friends would like to play with me, or maybe for next, after “Wolfenstein”, game for Waypoint 101.
  • Free games are a fair game (sorry). Steam, Origin, Humble Bundle, GOG, etc. give away games and I can totally get them. Free2play games are fine too, and also gifts from friends. But not something like PS+ or Humble Monthly – you technically paying for them.
  • I can buy game-related stuff. Maybe something for a gamepad, maybe server for a multiplayer game, stuff like that.
  • I can buy games for other people.
  • I’m about finishing games anyway, to at least some extent, so no additional restriction here. If I tried a game and didn’t finished it, that’s just it: I’m not gonna count it, but no additional penalty.

I think, that’s it. Oh, right, a bit of technical stuff: I’m primarily a PC player, but would like to finish some games on PS3, 3DS, maybe even Wii. And I don’t even gonna try to post a list of games I own, it’s huge! %­(

Good luck to me and to all of us, huh! :­)

1 Like

Sounds good dude, would be great to hear you check in every now and then with how you’re going! As long as you’re having fun, that’s what matters :smiley:

Cool!

I don’t think that two person Waypoint 101 would be good, or anything, but just for fun (and because I still don’t sure how to get list of games from one category from Steam, and because I’m waiting for crafting to be done in DDON) I created list of unfinished games we share:

Steam
16 Fallout 4
27 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

GOG
33 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (on Steam)

PS4
65 Far Cry 4 (finished the game, but not DLC, on PS3)

Vita
75 Vagrant Story

PS3
83 Heavy Rain

Wii U
95 Zelda: Wind Waker (on Wii)

Wii
102 The Last Story

3DS
107 Zelda: Majora’s Mask

I forget I own some of them. Thanks :­/

@onsamyj dude, we got some hardcore RPG action to get into! I’m going to be playing Wolfenstein: The New Order and Far Cry Primal over the next couple of weeks, but after that it’s Witcher 3 time - maybe we can work through that one together? I’d love to check in each week and compare notes!

Shamelog #017 - No Man’s Order

No Man’s Sky seriously got its hooks in me guys. You know how Austin talked about it being that “just one more thing” kind of game like Skyrim? Yup, it’s totally got that.

The main story that Hello Games added in this last patch is real great sci-fi. For someone like me who picked it up at launch, it also has a few great nods to already existing facets - the handling of the inclusion of Nada & Polo was particularly pleasing.

This latest update really brought the wonder to me in a way that I hadn’t felt with the game before. I kind of figured out the scope and felt I’d “seen it all” on my initial 30 hours - now, even after another 30 hours of play in the new update, I still feel like the game keeps offering up surprises. And that’s fantastic.

I have also started Wolfenstein, finally. I must say - that first level is not great. Beach storming and trenches, really? Even the tutorial felt busted for me; I kept getting stuck and dying while trying to find a way out of the damn plane. Thankfully, the game picked up after that - the institute was gripping, with BJ’s inner monologue really selling it. I’m on my way through some checkpoints now, and the area is weirdly familiar to the first Goldeneye 64 level to me, in a good way.

Games Left to Play: 116
Currently Playing: Wolfenstein: The New Order

Oh, boy.

Oh, girl.

Oh, humanity.

Seems like work %­) Not sure, but maybe. For now I just want to cleanse my palette, so to speak, because last month I finished all the stuff that was in the first DLC for “Breath of the Wild” (minus hard mode) and then immediately jumped into “Dragon’s Dogma Online” (because I wanted something similar, I still have post-“Zelda” blues), which is huge too. So smaller games for now. And then I need to finish “Final Fantasy IX” otherwise I will lose the will to do so. That’s what actually happened with “Witcher 3” – I was pretty deep in Skellige, iirc, doing everything (What do you mean “everything”? EVERYTHING!), and then something distracted me and… here we are, many months (years?) later.

Also, I missed it, but I have “No Man’s Sky”, too. You know, I like bite-sized games, aha.

And I brute forced my list (just took couple of screenshots and run them through OCR. Fancy, I know):

Steam playlist

Alien: Isolation
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Anodyne
Aquaria
The Baconing
Batman: The Telltale Series
Betrayer
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Darksiders (Warrnastered Edition)

Darksiders II
Dead Rising 3
Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut
Deus Ex: The Fall
Divinity II: Developer’s Cut
Divinity: Original Sin (Enhanced Edition)
Doom 3 (BFG Edition)
Dungeons 2
The Dweller
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (specifically Special Edition)

Else Heart.Break()
Evoland 2
Fallout 4
Fight The Dragon
Final Fantasy IX
Forced
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Halo: Spartan Assault
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II
Iron Brigade

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
The Last Tinker: City of Colors
Lego The Hobbit
Lemma
Limbo
The Long Dark
Malebolgia
Master Reboot
Max Payne 3

Monaco
Moon Hunters
No Man’s Sky
Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee
Of Orcs And Men
Outcast 1.1
Psychonauts
The Real Texas
Renegade Ops
Risen 3: Titan Lords

Secret World Legends
Shadowrun Returns
Soma
Sonic Generations
A Story About My Uncle
Styx: Master of Shadows
Sunless Sea
Transistor
Victor Vran
Westerado: Double Barreled

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I think I will start with “Batman”, I can finish it in a reasonable time.

No Man’s Sky has me somewhat curious now with all the patches but I’m trying to stick to my backlog as much as possible while trying to also keep up with 2017 releases.

I thought about picking up Wolfenstein to follow along with the Waypoint crew but I’m just so busy as of late that my limited gaming time I’d rather spend on the Switch I got a few weeks ago.

@onsamyj it’s all good dude, just play what it is you feel like playing! :slight_smile: you’ll know in advance what I’m gonna be playing at any given time, so feel free to play along or it whenever you feel :slight_smile:

@TheJames I totally understand. Really, if I was asked the question, I’d still suggest not picking up NMS up until it was on sale and you were just in the mood for a chill game. I do think it appeals to a specific type of player, namely me haha xD

1 Like

Shamelog #018 - They Did Nazi That Comin’

The world is a better place without Nazi’s in it y’all.

The New Order’s alternate history world sure is a fascinating one. Having never played a Wolfenstein before, the introduction of this steampunk inspired weaponry and enemy variation was enough to set this shooter apart from your regular FPS.

I am particularly picky when it comes to shooting games. Destiny was totally my jam, yet Halo left me wanting. Titanfall 2’s campaign was utterly brilliant, but Doom (2016) was met with a resounding “eh”. For a long time I figured shooters were no longer for me, even though I loved the shooters back on the N64. Wolfenstein ended up being another that didn’t really click with me on the gameplay front - I ended up just dropping it to the easiest difficulty.

The thing that did pull me through was simply the wonderful characters surrounding playable meatbag BJ Blazkowicz. Not merely a vehicle for destruction, BJ was a multidimensional murder machine, capable of actual love and believable motivation - not something you can say about regular FPS protagonists. The band of freedom fighters around you were also exceptional - Anya, Klaus, J and Caroline were standouts.

The strong story beats surrounding the auxiliary characters made me wish the game leaned more into a Fallout template, allowing for more exploration and a chance to bond more with this wonderful group. At the very least, it would’ve been much nicer if the DLC focused more on these characters - say, vignette style missions focusing on smaller missions focused around each member of the resistance - rather than focus on the shooty shooty bang bang of Nazi’s, but hey.

If you’re a little less like me and actually enjoy shooters, Wolfenstein: The New Order is definitely not one to miss.

Statistics
Games left to play: 115
Current game: Far Cry Primal

2 Likes

Yes! I wanted to drive around in those huge cars so badly. Interestingly, previous “Wolf” game had a hub world, that you were running around between missions. And, IIRC, that hub was changing over time, too. Weren’t particularly great, but I’m sad they didn’t expand that idea in “New Order”.

This is a really cool thread!

Some months ago, I also started agressively finishing games to try and clear my backlog — only problem is, I haven’t stopped buying new ones. So despite finishing one or two each week, I’ve been hovering at around 70 for a while.
I also try to write a Steam review when I finish a game, to put my thoughts in order. It’s been a good writing exercise so far, and a great way to really hone in on the interesting parts of each game, good or bad.

I had a blast with Wolfenstein TNO! A real HL2-like FPS, 1 level = 1 idea, some cool world-building and the writing was suprisingly thoughtful. The way in which they introduce audiologs at one point, for example; their integration in the story felt natural and fresh, they told a short story with a complete arc and managed to develop an off-screen but important character. Top notch stuff!

2 Likes

@onsamyj I know right! It does feel like the game could’ve gone in that direction with the base you visit in between missions a few times, but alas. It does feel like ideas were cut in order to trim the game down (probably ultimately for the better) but still, the possibilities!

@TheFightingDoll totally with you dude, I’ve definitely found writing my thoughts down here has helped me reflect on what I’ve played over the past few months in a way I wouldn’t have normally. It has actually helped me not buy games that I would’ve immediately otherwise, and I’ve actually saved a ton of money already (despite the update I’m about to post at least.) Maybe at the end of the year I’ll go through and figure out everything I’ve not bought to see how much I’ve saved. On TNO, hell yes on the audio logs. Quite a clever way to fill in some backstory without making you hunt for it, worrying you’ve missed bits or gotten them in the wrong order.

Shamelog #019 - Distractions & Diversions

Guys… I made a mistake.

I logged on to Runescape.

This game is an MMO that saw me through high school, then on an off for a bit after. About 6 years ago, I cancelled my membership. Apart from logging on for a night just to look at it every now then, I haven’t returned since. Well, until now.

I spent a couple of days getting hooked on free play again, then it got me. In a moment of weakness, I subbed for a month of membership. All of a sudden, I’ve added another 40 hours to my apparent 3000 hour time with this game.

Man, this game. MMO’s really do appeal to the darkest parts of ourselves, don’t they? That carrot is just so fun to chase, even though it moves the second you grab for it. I’m not saying it’s not rewarding - I’ve felt that dopamine hit a few times in the past week, as I continued to level up a few old skills and watched my money stockpile grow - but when you’re dealing with a game with essentially no end, that’s a dangerous proposition.

I’m swearing here and now though, this is only temporary. I’ve only got 1 month of membership, so I won’t be sticking around. I’m going to try my best to not sink too deeply - been there, done that, not fun.

God help me when this game comes to iOS next year.

As a side note, I did actually start Far Cry Primal before I was pulled away. Controlling beasts is pretty cool, but using an owl as a drone is a bit… weird. I’m keen to play it, but man, I can see why people bounced off it - it feels just like Far Cry 3, which I played mere months ago. That sameness is ultimately what lead it to not hook me from the beginning. There are a few differences that do make me want to see it through however; not having a white bro as a main character helps. Not saying the dude you play here is great either, but hey. Small steps.

Games Left to Play: 115
Currently Playing: Far Cry Primal, Runescape