2018 Music Releases

y’all i am deep in my feelings today and listening to the most recent Mount Eerie record for the first time and hoo boy

this is an experience.

alright folks it is THAT time of year again!! chart time!! here’s my top 42 albums of 2018

and you can make your own chart here: https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/

I still have a bunch of albums I’ve been meaning to listen to but for now here’s my somewhat-but-not-really-ordered list.

I edited it down to 15 because there were so many on my top 40 that I didn’t have really strong feelings about.

I also cheated and put Carla Morrison’s Amor Supremo Desnudo on there even though it came out in 2017. In my defense, I didn’t hear it until January of this year and have listened to at least one song from it every week since.

Cut it down to 25 to just include the stuff I really liked. It was a good year for games and music it turns out

Edit: also just wanted to shout out all the people in this thread for posting such good stuff btw. I would have never known about the Beths or Sudan Archives otherwise. You all have great taste and you’re doing important work

Wow, I hadn’t heard anyone talk about Saba’s album, but I guess it is universally adored?

It’s one of the most emotionally charged albums I heard this year. It’s heartbreaking and lonely and hard to listen to in a way really few rap albums are

Lmao, I didn’t even notice it was on your lists until you said that! The cover is really dark, so it’s hard to see as a smaller thumbnail :joy:

CARE FOR ME is all killer, no filler! Each song is rich with impecable word play and flow, along with a wide range of emotions. I also think it’s sequenced really well. It feels like a cohesive whole in a way few albums do these days.

This isn’t new but Sorry To Bother You finally came out in the UK this month and after seeing it (I loved it) I’ve been listening to a lot of The Coup (the director’s band, who did the soundtrack.)

I think it was a 2018 release? I’m not sure what the US release dates were.

Caught this on an Adult Swim montage of Dream Corp LLC.