2019 Comics/Manga/Graphic Novel Thread

So! The Wild Storm is a 24 issue limited series comic book by Warren Ellis and Jon Davis-Hunt, rebooting the original WildStorm universe from the 90s for the modern day. It is a story of intrigue and political manipulation, superscience and space, and how corporations and right wing politics that work only in the pursuit of profit affect people. It has people that can turn into mechs, shadow wars, and super-humans trying to survive and fight for their freedom in a world where they are most often used as tools by corporations. It is queer and diverse as heck. It is the best thing Warren Ellis has written to date imo.

If any of this sounds interesting, the first two (or three now maybe?) trades are on Hoopla, the DC universe app, and Comixology Unlimited. Alternatively, you can buy the singles too!

It is, in a phrase, good as heck.

The library has volumes 1-3 and 4 is on order! Thanks for the reccomend, I’m putting a hold on vol 1-3.
I had forgotten Ellis also wrote Transmetropolitan, maybe a tie between that and Planetary for his work that I like best.

Absolutely, I hope you enjoy!

I’m an Apollo/Midnighter person through and through (I came to his work through first Extremis and then The Authority) but I think the universe and reimagining of themes is probably my favorite thing about TWS. I still need to find time for Transmet as I was always worried it would’ve aged badly but friends have said it’s still worth reading

A bunch of holds came in:
The Wild Storm vol 1, Ellis and Davis-Hunt
Blackbird vol 1, Humphries and Bartel
When I Arrived at the Castle, Emily Carroll
Upgrade Soul, Ezra Clayton Daniels

Have read Upgrade Soul, it’s the story of an older couple who try a radical new life extension treatment, very good.

2 Likes

I decided to treat myself to a whole bunch of queer manga for my birthday and I have no regrets.

4 Likes

Looking forward to your review/thoughts on The Wild Storm. I don’t think I am generally a fan of Ellis but the cover and what I have seen of the art have me awfully curious.

1 Like

Hey! I’ve neglected this thread because I haven’t been reading many comics lately and I’ve been super busy, but I wanted to share my pride month comics reading list:

Some stuff I’ve already read, some stuff thats new. So far I’ve been jumping around to find something to grab me and Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me is a real standout. Mariko Tamaki is a brilliant queer YA Fiction writer and Rosemary Valero O’Connell’s illustrations are really incredible. Side note, I really wish Jillian and Mariko Tamaki still collaborated, because Jillian’s solo work in comics hasn’t been nearly as good without Mariko’s writing. Alas

It’s also my first time reading Sailor Moon! I’m a big fan of the anime and it’s cool to finally see the source material.

I guess the odd one out here is Invitation From a Crab, which isn’t really explicitly queer but notably features a non-binary protagonist and is just aesthetically really pleasing.

2 Likes

Ooh excited to see what you think of Blackbird too since I think it’s genuinely very good but didn’t see a lot of chatter about it online. Jen’s interiors are even better than her cover illustrations imo, and Humphries spins a good neonoir yarn.

1 Like

I read volume three of Aposimz this evening. I really enjoy the art of Tsutomu Nihei but, and maybe this is more or an issue of translation, boy does he tell a clunky story. The actual plot of Aposimz isn’t really too important, although I do think it is already stronger than Knights of Sidonia, nor does it bother me. I am reading the series because I wanted a fun sci-fi/cyberpunk feeling brawler and Nihei always delivers that. Rather, the way he does dialogue feels so wooden; characters seem to speak largely for exposition or what they are saying seems to be a non-sequitor. It, for lack of a better term, feels awkward—all the more so because Nihei can be very sparse with words on a page so you’d think each word would feel a little more meaningful. It creates for a funny reading experience in which I am actually a little annoyed in the moment but that subsides during an action sequence or when I put the book down. I guess I am really describing the process of watching a b movie.

I may also be particularly attuned to the dialogue and plotting of Nihei as I also picked up volume 4 of the Master Edition of 20th Century Boys and oh my god can Naoki Urasawa write.

edit: because I like this trend of folks posting photos:

Been down a real Evangelion hole, still not out (want to watch the newer movies) but I have read
The Wild Storm. Tons of Ellis banter, coming right off Injection I recognize it right away: basically, friends calling each other assholes, affectionately. He’s approaching the story a bit differently than Planetary and Transmet in that there are no monsters; that is characters who we only know through their monstrous actions. The POV shifts from all three factions, two of which are quite monstrous in a we control the world kind of way, but they are still human and banter with their loved ones.

Could do without the John Wick/action movie style fight sequences.

Everything was new to me, never read the 90’s comic, except the concept of “the bleed” that Ellis has brought over. Volume 1 was the introduction to all the characters and sets up what I assume is the defining conflict (two secret factions that control everything going to war). Like what I’ve read so far, interesting characters and great art, looking forward to the next volumes and hope they focus more on the weirdness than the action movie stuff.

b

2 Likes

One more thing on The Wild Storm: besides the page posted above, I really liked this sequence:

This is an assassin talking to his boss. He has found out he has inoperable brain cancer is also beginning to doubt everything he took for granted about his job.
I like this sequence because it’s a play on the “Ellis Banter” I was talking about before, with that one line “you’re talking like a man with a brain tumor” taking on a lot of nuance. It’s not meant to be half as menacing as it sounds, just a continuation of the banter this guy has with all his employees, but it communicates so much and added to that creepy smile is quite chilling. In the next page he says “it was just a joke, lighten up”, but the damage is done.

1 Like

Blackbird, Humphries and Bartel.
Super glam, especially the covers which are like beautiful fashion magazine shots. Appreciate the beauty but this style tends to rub me the wrong way…how to articulate this…all the art is so very well defined and posed, which gives everything a veneer of artificiality.
Given that this is a story about people who can use magic to glamor themselves, and the wizards seem to trend towards hedonistic overlords who control everything, the style totally fits! But still…
Parts of this story fit the fantasy trope of a teen discovering the world of magic and she’s actually uber powerful, but it veers off enough to probably stand on its own. Not too enthusiastic about this one, but man those covers are great !

1 Like

Funnily enough I actually was quite surprised at how expressive Jen Bartel’s interiors are after being familiar with her (largely static and stuff imo) cover/illustration work but I can definitely see how everything being so “clean” and neon all the same could distract from the gritty neonoir of the text

Also glad to hear you are digging TWS :smiley: how personal it feels to the characters, constantly, is what makes that book so special to me. Personally I enjoy the action sequences, but the exchanges/moments you shared are the kind of stuff that makes the book a real standout for me. I think in a lot of ways it’s some of Ellis’ most human work? Which is weird considering.

1 Like

When I Arrived at the Castle, Emily Carroll. Love her work. These were my fav two pages that are sfw.
Very short fairy tale/gothic romance/horror, in which a cat woman and a vampire have an encounter.

2 Likes

oooo I like that art

bunch of holds came in. Someone asked me what I was doing for 4th of july and I was thinking to myself, I’m going to be reading this pile of great books that’s been building up.
(in pic: The Wild Storm, Ellis and Davis-Hunt, Exhalation, Ted Chiang)

1 Like

Okay I say this without any hyperbole, Gou Tanabe is the only person to successfully adapt Lovecraft’s work as a comic. Richard Corben does a very fun and very unsettling variation on Lovecraft that is pure Richard Corben, but Tanabe manages to create work that is evocative of the unease and dread that permeates Lovecraft’s best stories. I am heartily recommend this book and Tanabe’s other collection to anyone who is a fan of Lovecraft, Junji Ito, or just wants a good antarctic tale of terror in the middle of July.

1 Like

Looks good! The library system only has his adaptation of The Hound and other Stories so I ordered that.

Recieved a copy of the hardcover Monstress collection as a gift, its very nice. Includes a brief afterword by the author, glossary, concept art by Takeda, some variant covers. All which i dont think were in the paperbacks, but not 100% on that.

2 Likes

I picked up the eleventh, and latest, volume of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt. The series has been a little listless in its second act and I was prepared for this volume to be the death knell of my interest but, instead, looks like this act is racing towards a climax and there is now a very cool, very Gundam, anti-war / anti-corporation plot that aims to be more bombastic than a colony drop. So, I’ll check out the next volume when it releases later this month.

I am also reading Inio Asano’s Dead Dead Demon’s De De De De Destruction and that continues to be engaging and beautiful and foreshadowing heartbreak and devastation as only Asano can deliver. I am really looking forward to feeling SAD when the next volume releases in October.

Tomie by Junji Ito. Blurs the line between physicality and the more ethereal aspects of a ghost story, even more than the other work of his I’ve read. What I mean is that the ghost, or curse, whatever Tomie is, has a very physical presense, she is this thing that will not stop replicating at a cellular level.

Page from the book where some guys put ground up Tomie in sake vats. Mayhem ensues.
Anyway, liked this a lot. Internal debate about if there is intended deeper commentary in these stories or if it is more of a set up for startling/wierd/silly situations. Leaning toward the latter.

1 Like