2019 Comics/Manga/Graphic Novel Thread

I havent quite moved into the digital realm for comics yet but right now it appears like Comixology is the way to go for general interest stuff (with the unfortunate side effect of supporting Amazon), but like GoldenJoel said I think theres ways you could get more specific with Marvel and DC.

I briefly did some research on the Shonen Jump stuff while looking into getting a sub for a little cousin. There are two apps: one for Viz, the publisher, and one for SJ, the publication. Im not exactly sure how those two intersect, if at all. Regardless, Ive heard that both those apps are good and worth it if you want to keep up with current manga and it might be worth downloading both and seeing what the subscription options are there, and if the two intersect. It would be nice to have access to Ino Asano’s new stuff as well as, like, Boruto, for sure.

Honestly, if you’re looking to explore some comics without breaking the bank, you could check out your library.

But for your app, I think Comixology is probably your best bet. I believe there are a number of deals that pop up on there, with bulk comics buying available sometimes. Plus you can browse without committing to a price or subscription. I think with a sub you get a TON of stuff, but it’s usually a season behind or one-run kind of stuff.

I think the issue is, and why I hesitate to recommend Comixology, is because it’s Amazon owned. The app is pushing to monopolize the whole comic-buying industry. Push out smaller stores.

This! Libraries are a resource we should use and cherish and depending on where you live they probably have everything thats new and current from the major publishers. (I know Toronto tends to keep current, but I don’t want to speak for like… every library system)

My library is definitely very good and very kind and willing to always let me request stuff from other branches. The biggest hurdle being if I am curious about something older than say 5-10 years and I have noticed that most publishers have, at this point, done a pretty solid job of digitizing their backlists.

The Shonen Jump app, while behind on amenities like tracking what you’ve read, is absolutely the best way to cheaply read through all of Naruto (outside of library). 1.99 a month gives you access to that and a fair number of other shonen manga. It’s not good for building your own manga library, but it’s excellent for going through a publisher’s large catalog for cheap. “The Promised Neverland” and “MHA: Vigilantes” are two of my favorites, but you could also read through DBZ or One Piece. Just be aware that anything subscription doesn’t cover you’re better off buying elsewhere

I’m just about to start My Brother’s Husband Vol.2. I dislike manga and anime because it’s so tropey/pervy, but this manga is fantastic and I can’t wait to read the rest and watch the anime. Is there other series’ out there that tell a good story without any fanservice cringe?

Absolutely. What sort of stories interest you?

Honestly anything as long as there are no exam arcs, nose blood fountains when the busty underage fanservice character walks in, characters whose entire personality is they think about food too much, etc. Not into sports though. Tempted by Junji Ito’s manga, and may check out NHK because hikkikomori and their struggles interest me, but I may watch the anime of that…

Also I hear rumours that Netflix is doing a live action remake of One Piece, so I’m gonna hold out and see what happens there.

Definitely check out Junji Ito if youre already interested. Gyo or Uzumaki are probably good places to start.

If you want something with a similarly uncomfortable vibe but a little more light hearted maybe try and track down a copy of An Invitation from a Crab by panpanya. One of my favourites from last year.

Go For It, Nakamura! by Syundei is very cute, about a queer high school boy who is struggling to tell his crush how he feels.

Will try those, thank you.

I wish I could do the Splatoon manga, because Splatoon 1 is life, but I opened it, saw a character being scolded for thinking about food too much, and put it back on the shelf. It mostly retells the SP campaign story too. Missed lore/backstory opportunity.

You may enjoy some of the shorter work of Inio Asano such as Solanin and What a Wonderful World—solid slice of life stories involving characters on the cusp of “adulthood” and all its ensuing melancholia and angst. Like Junji Ito, I think Asano is a good introduction to manga.

Highly reccomend the work of Yoshihiro Tatsumi, he started a new style of manga called “Gekiga” meant to be darker, more focused on story and for a more adult audience. Drawn and Quarterly released 3 collections of his work from the 70’s.

I would also suggest the work of Seiichi Hayashi. Theres a collection of his work from the 60s and 70s called Gold Pollen and Other Stories thats fairly easy to tack down and really cool

Theres also Yuichi Yokoyama, who is a fine artist-turned-cartoonist. His work is really out there stylistically:

Also basically all of Osamu Tezuka’s catalogue is worth looking at. Im particularly fond of Ayako, as it was sort of my jumping off point to Tezuka after reading some Astro Boy as a kid.

Keeping it within the year, Kabi Nagata’s most recent volume of her Solo Exchange Diary (the sequel books to My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness) came out in February and is fantastic.

Sorry if these suggestions are overwhelming at all! Theres just a lot of really awesome manga out there!

All good looking stuff, thanks guys.

It’s telling and sad how old these examples are though. Japan needs to get its shit together. I lived there for two years and the kawaii chibi ~uguu~ shtick and the shrill nonsense that would pour out of every store’s speakers because of it were instrumental in me leaving, it was literally affecting my mental health.

I mean, you lived there and I haven’t, but you may be exaggerating the situation just a bit. Just as some might assume the American comic industry is nothing but the same dozen superheroes, if you do a little searching you’d find that there is a wide array of interesting and alternative stuff that probably speaks to you.

Honestly, one suggestion, if it is available to you, is go to a local comic shop and talk to the folks working there. They may have good, personalized recommendations.

I’m not exaggerating, every kombini, electronics store, market, and pharmacy has shrill, ‘kawaii’ nonsense assaulting the ears. I recommend noise cancelling headphones to anyone who moves there.

I was more so referring to your assessment of Japanese comics culture. But again, I am no expert.

Edit: moving back to the topic of the thread: I read the first two “perfect editions” of 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa this past week. It got its hooks in me real good and I can’t wait to read more. I have been in kind of a lull this year for American/European comics; none of the artists I am in to have put anything out and nothing has really caught my eye.

Nah, that’s pretty much on point too. In fact, I was kinda nice about it. There were stores whose top two floors I simply wouldn’t go up to because of all the insanely creepy hentai. Japanese media is incredibly fanservicey/tropey/ very often creepy. Keep in mind, we don’t really get most of their output localized, just the cleaner safer stuff.

I love Solanin, although I haven’t been able to get into other Asano works.

As in they haven’t clicked with you or you haven’t had the opportunity to explore his other works? What a Wonderful World is probably the closest to Solanin. Everything else takes these very emotionally devastating turns—Goodnight Punpun is phenomenal but packs a hell of a punch. His newest series dead dead demon’s dededede destruction may be worth looking at. The first volumes have a scifi Solanin-vibe.