2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates: Do They Have Policies? What Are Their Policies? Let's Find Out!

“But hideokojima,” you cry, “Don’t we still have about 6 months until the primaries actually start?”

Nonsense. Don’t put off until tomorrow what can be suffered right here, right now. Also there’s a bunch of life stuff I’m ignoring right now! I hope you’re ready to bomb your expectations through the floor because boy howdy they still won’t be low enough.

~~~Welcome to the 2019/20 Disappointapalooza!!!!~~~

Now, as this is a forum for website primarily about video games, I will do my due diligence by having a cursory skim of a wikipedia article and doing barely any in-depth research. I’m here for a distractinggood time, not an accurate or informative time.

:racehorse: :racehorse: :racehorse: People Definitely Or Almost Definitely Running :racehorse: :racehorse: :racehorse:

Apparently there’s over 130 people filed to run so here’s what wikipedia says is important.

• Julian Castro - former mayor of San Antonio, TX and Secretary of Housing+Urban Development. slogan is “One Nation. One Destiny” which sounds very fash.
  • John Delaney - former Maryland US Rep. never heard of him. slogan is “Focus on the Future” which sounds like absolutely nothing.
  • Tulsi Gabbard - Hawaii US Rep. has a logo.
  • Richard Ojeda - former West Virginia US Rep. Major. Lifelong Democrat but voted for Trump? Weirdly overwrought logo. Possible white supremacist. My favourite to win for this reason.
  • Kamala Harris - California US Senator, former California Attorney General. Not quite confirmed yet, but likely. Loves prisons, loved by liberals.
  • Marianne Williamson - Never heard of this person. Apparently a “spiritual teacher” who once tried to run for Congress. Apparently advocates reparations for slavery which puts her above 99% of existing elected officials but believes in open borders (okay!) as long as “individuals are vetted” (ehhhhh). Ultimately an entrepreneur so not to be trusted.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Notable People Who Might Possibly Be Running :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

• Elizabeth Warren - Massachusetts US Senator. Hey! I know this lady! Also beloved by liberals. Apparently one of the more “progressive” Democrats but still bad for reasons I can’t remember.
  • Jay Inslee - Governor of Washington. I don’t know anything about him but Seattle is in Washington and Seattle is cool. Kshama Sawant should run for presidency but also she probably correctly believes the position should be abolished. anyway he’s proably bad also. next in the list:
  • Bernie Sanders - i’m very excited for 2016 to never end, which first started 50000000 years
  • Joe Biden - former VPOTUS. sucks.
  • Michael Bloomberg - Former Mayor of NYC. sucks.
  • Cory Booker - New Jersey US Senator. Another liberal darling.
  • Oscar de la Hoya - Boxing champion. I don’t expect any of these people to introduce good policies so if he at least punches people who deserve it I’m okay with that.
  • Eric Garcetti - Mayor of LA. Sounds like Tommy Carcetti from The Wire, so probably bad.
  • Kirsten Gillibrand - New York US Senator.
  • Eric Holder - Former US Attorney General under Obama.
  • Angelina Jolie - uhhh okay sure
  • Beto O’Rourke - Former Texas US Rep. Everyone keeps yelling about him but probably disappointing.

also a bunch of other governors and senators and representatives whose names i don’t really recognise so it’s a w/e from me.

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: Notable People Who Have Declared They Are Not Running :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

• Hillary Clinton - sucks. historically not good at this
  • James Comey - cop. sucks.
  • Andrew Cuomo - sucks.
  • Rahm Emmanuel - extremely sucks and i regularly forget is a democrat
  • Tom Hanks - ???
  • The Rock - ???
  • Tim Kaine - see Clinton
  • Michelle Obama
  • Oprah
  • Mark Zuckerberg - personally i will never believe ol’ Zucky is not running for President
  • forums user hideokojima - i am not american nor do i believe the office of president to be a legitimate one, but, just in case.

“but what are their policies?!”

unclear at this point but i suspect the majority will be a variation on this:

I don’t know about you but I am extremely excited to see these fine, fine candidates yell over each other to see who can be the most racist and subservient to capital!

Hey all, as someone who has been diligently muting stuff on twitter because it’s January 2019 and the election is 22 months away, I want to encourage everyone who posts in this thread to remember that the election season is tiring and stressful for a lot of people, including the mods.

We want to emphasise two points at the opening of this thread:

• We all have varying tolerances for gallows humour re: political discourse. This thread should be mindful of Goal B and avoid turning political machinery into spectacle going forward.
  • As the primary develops and people determine their preferences, forum users will inevitably disagree. We would also emphasise Goal D in conducting these discussions.

edit from moderator @robowitch: A further mod post has been added further down in the road regarding commenting on elections in other countries. You can find a link to this here.

Please do not sleep on the Free Hugs campaign guy

But it’s going to be frustrating to see how this all goes. I don’t particularly love or really like any of the candidates right now. I’m so exhausted by national politics that it all kinda feels hopeless to even focus on this at the moment. I know I’m gonna get hurt down the line. I cannot imagine throwing my support fully behind any of these people and knowing I’m going to have to vote on them at any point fills me with dread. It’s important, of course, and that’s the problem. I have no question about the weight of the 2020 primary and I know it’s going to be necessary to engage with it, but it feels absolutely dreadful right now.

The last time there was a presidential election I frequented gamerghazi, it sucked. Hopefully, this one goes better.

I would not be shocked if Amy Klobuchar ran as a more moderate version of Warren. She is, like many dems, very unremarkable, however she does have one of the highest staff turnover rates in the Senate so maybe she is more interesting than I give her credit for.

I hope Joe Exotic runs again.

He may have to cut his hair though.

That list of dems is a whole lot of cops, business guys, and wonks hoping to respectability politics Trump out of office and it’s gonna suck.

I lay some of this blame at Bernie’s feet because the guy has spent the last two years acting like he’s going to run again rather than trying to build up an infrastructure of candidates around him to accomplish left-wing goals in the long term.

That being said, it’s hard not to see him as the only half-decent candidate in a crowd of pondlife who could a) win and b) actually create some meaningful change.

I’m not sure Bernie runs again and if he does I’m not sure he could win a national race.

My pragmatic side is telling me when it comes to Dems who is president doesn’t matter as much as we think but it’s preferable who is in the WH has a D next to their name. A Biden or a Beto in the WH would be tolerable but a Republican majority in either house of Congress has proved to be the most incorrigible thing for US policy.

Always. Focus. On. The House. The incremental steps that is the reality of progress in the US is only reversible when we first lose The House.

Tl;Dr Vote in the primaries, if a candidate you don’t like wins the nomination shrug it off with a grin and vote D in Nov. At least until something drastically changes in our politics or all the Baby Boomers sail back to Valinor

Well Sanders did focus a lot of energy on left leaning candidates and ballot measures the past couple years for midterms, and I don’t think his populist energy is some mantle Sanders can just pass down for an effective presidential candidate. The dems were always going to run a bunch of centrist libs and I don’t think he could change that

I do agree that this kind of pragmatism is necessary, but as we saw in 2016, that doesn’t get people out to vote. Admittedly, the Republicans have done their absolute best to create an environment where them getting hate-voted out of the Oval Office is a possibility, but that’s not something to count on. The Dems are in a good position following the mid-terms but I’m just scared that any Dem who gets in by being the most Democrat-ass-Democrat will have neither the mandate nor the political will do anything substantial.

Which is why I’m saying the Democratic party needs to go back to their old strategy… being Congress most of the time. While ignoring the conversation about party ideology switching slowly during this time period, Dems from FDR assuming office to Bill Clinton only 5 Congress weren’t Dem majority in both houses and only 2 where Dems didn’t hold at least one house.

They say 3 “coequal” branches but 2/3rds of congress people think reproductive rights need to be in the constitution and abortion is untouchable even if a Republican president added 6 seats to SCOTUS and appointed the Fox News prime time lineup to them.

Meanwhile Obama tried to pass healthcare and 41 Senators killed most the legislation and all we got was it’s desiccated exoskeleton passed but the filibuster needs to go… That’s another topic.

Presidential races are weird and undemocratic and our infatuation with them has been a hindrance to our legislative prospects, especially in midterm cycles. My only hope is 2018 seems to show signs that Dems are focusing on their local and state races.

How do you ya’ll feel about Warren?

She’s not perfect, and she by no means represents the more progressive ideal candidates that were just elected to congress, but before she was drinking wine on Facebook to show how much she’s like AOC, she was grilling Wells Fargo execs their awful behavior. Which I do loooove to watch…

I don’t think negates any of her really strange 'I am whatever % Native American" comments, and I have read that she has been pro-business in some other areas, but I feel like she has been advertised as that ‘bridge gap’ between progressives and party-line democrats.

In all honesty, I feel like the party will probably lean on Warren as their super delegate candidate.

That’s another thing I’ve been curious about… Does the Democratic party learn from their awful, party-splitting mistakes and kill the super delegates? Or does it continue to not understand their voters and continue to make back-door election decisions?

Warren sucks but I could stomach her. I can at least she her being more likable to the wider public than any of the Clintons. I was excited about Beto during the primaries but then I learned more about his stances and one particularly unforgivable thing of him voting to take away power from unions and any sort of union like organization.

Julian Castro seems like the best possibility of what we have right now. I consider an endorsement from Shaun King pretty strong, honestly, and he’s been completely behind the guy. His slogan seems more a jab at current immigration policies than anything actually fash. The only thing that killed my enthusiasm right fast was his stance on college is the same nothing gobbledygook all the democrats spit out that basically cost Hillary a lot of the youth/college debters vote.

Most everyone else I either don’t know much about or actively kind of hate (I still haven’t forgiven Harris for defending ICE, and Joe Biden can rightly fuck off).

I wouldn’t count out Cuomo just yet. And he absolutely superduper sucks.

So far Warren and Sanders are the only candidates I’m aware of that rank above “having my brain scooped out with a melon baller,” and they just barely clear that bar. If there’s anyone I could actually get excited about, they’re either unknown at this point or attracting very low levels of media attention.

They reduced the influence of super delegates. They have always been a non-factor and hold over from the era where there were no primaries.

Warren is an acceptable candidate. I’ve seen a lot of reporting about her handling of the 'I am whatever % Native American" that goes in several directions. On one hand, how she botched it. But also some tribal leaders saying that everyone should have the opportunity to fumble through this ancestry and they consider Warren a long term ally.

As someone from her state, she will listen to critique and she is effective at her job. It all comes down to if she can win. 2016 has reminded us all that there are three branches of government and I would prefer to take by the legislature. The white House is way less impressive if you own the House and Senate.

I’m a Canadian living the US, so I would very much appreciate it if y’all would vote in an adult. That’s really all I ask.

Bonus points for a sane approach to policy, and not selling the planet down the river.

Extra bonus points if they are super boring but good at the actual job. So maybe Inslee would be okay.

You all better be vigilant too, because the alt-right seem to be stoking into your politics as well. Need I bring up the crap Ford has been up to? I hope you find a way to get him out of there soon.

Don’t worry, we have an election this year that will get 25% the coverage on canadian media compared to the american election!

(There’s a roughly 0% chance the Liberals don’t win again anyway, because we love mediocrity, but if the alt right wanted to slide in we’re primed and ready!)

I got married on November 9th, so every 2, 3 and 4 years, like clockwork, my anniversary is ruined by election season.

Anyway, I genuinely forgot this was even a thing until about 2am this morning when it hit me like a freight train and made me put in the real effort to fall asleep so i wouldn’t have to remain conscious through that revelation.