3 Years and 2600 Hours Later, 'Mario Maker' Player Still Can't Beat His Own Level

2,600 hours is a lot of hours. It’s the equivalent of 108 days, 15 weeks or 3.5 months. It’s also the incredible amount of time Braden “ChainChompBraden” Moor has spent trying to beat Trials of Death, a Mario Maker monstrosity of his own making, a towering journey into the heart of gaming darkness. Moor's journey started in December 2015, more than three years before Nintendo announced Mario Maker 2, and he still hasn’t finished Trials of Death.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/paj47y/3-years-and-2600-hours-later-mario-maker-player-still-cant-beat-his-own-level

Maybe it’s time to consider that the level might be too hard, just a thought.

6 Likes

(1) I love this ongoing story. Thank you for not letting it fall by the wayside.
(2) Your links to previous articles (“I’ve written about Moor several times before. (Here, here, and here.)”) aren’t currently working as links on the article.

I’ve made it to the final section 4 times, so no thanks, I’ll continue.

16 Likes

I’m following you on Twitch now as you continue your twisted journey.

Do you ever worry, that you will beat it, upload it, and someone will beat it almost instantly?

No. I’m very experienced with this game (and even more so, my own level), and it’s still taking me this long. Anyone else would still take a very long time. I know how good other players can be… because I’m one of them. I don’t want to sound arrogant, but there’s no other way to put it.

1 Like

That’s fair. I’m glad that added pressure isn’t keeping you up at night. Looking forward to the day you beat it!

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that our forum threads are public, and threads for articles tend to get more outside eyes than others. Please keep that in mind when posting in these threads! A joke could get miscontrued for something much more serious to someone with no grounding in our community.

We would also suggest everyone take a moment to refresh themselves on our Code of Conduct and Rules in order to keep this thread fun and engaging, as befits the article’s subject, particularly Rule 10.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I’m genuinely worried Nintendo will do something shitty with supporting their last gen game’s online features before this level gets uploaded.

I don’t mean this as a slight at your abilities in any way more of a dig at Nintendo’s ability to understand the intersection of their games and the internet.

1 Like

Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb was saying that he wants to create a level that no one can beat - I feel like these two are kindred spirits.

There has to be someone that has the same BDE as ChainChompingBraden has who will spend equal time trying to beat it. Also, I’m looking forward to the Mario Maker Morning of this level.