54 page document leaks, allegedly proving EA is funneling players towards loot boxes

I’m currently unable to spend time reading the entire article, but this is looking an awful lot like something that rhymes with “poking fun”.

1 Like

You see this in Ubisoft’s games too. There’s some currency you need to collect to collect to get over the final upgrade hump which you can get by either doing this repeatable activity or scouring the map for it OR for a “nominal fee” Ubisoft will just give you some. If you are adopting some kind of long-term MTX-based monetization strategy for a game, your design will inevitably lead you to said MTX.

2 Likes

It’s gambling. I played FIFA for years but luckily never caught the Ultimate Team bug as I don’t have the patience for it and was broke. I know loads of people who continue to play it and have to treat it like a job or investment and other people who’ve had to tap out as they were conscious of how much other decent gaming they were missing out on. It’s only been one-way traffic as well. It used to be reasonably possible to spend some time on your Ultimate Team and build a relatively unique side that you could compete with but it’s been abandoned in favour of gimmicks like Team of the Week and weekend leagues that pressure committed players to spend hours of their free time grinding for unlocks or basically demands they spend their own money to remain competitive.

It’s one of those things where you don’t need proof to know what EA are doing but it’s good to see it laid out so clearly. Was it not a Waypoint episode which claimed EA made their yearly turnover targets from Ultimate Team alone? I’m not surprised because the committed UT players I knew were spending up to 10 times on UT alone that I was spending on buying FIFA.

2 Likes

I guess this is helpful for legislation? Otherwise yeah, of course.

Or a possible Supreme Court decision post-legislation, yes.

1 Like