A Fighting Game Thread: For Beginners to Veterans

Fighting games took me a long time to wrap my head around, but once I did, it lead to some of the most satisfying and memorable gaming experiences I’ve had. I’ve been playing fighters for around 10 years now, and I get so much joy out of watching folks pick up the hobby and seeing it start to click for them. Sharing that experience with fellow Waypoint fans would be radical.

So, that said, is anybody interested in playing and/or chatting about fighting games together? I’d be thrilled hear about games you’ve been playing lately, games you’ve been interested to break into, barriers that have made fighters feel difficult to enter, or anything else you’d like to talk about! Regardless of skill level or experience, I’d love to hear any thoughts, musings, or questions that y’all have.

I always found fighting games very hard to get into, probably because of the reliance on combos. This is why my favorite fighting game is Bushido Blade, fights were very fast and often hinged on a pivotal weapons swing or just the right timing. I remember a friend and I killing each other at the same time in a fight it was hilarious and confusing.

Other fighting games I have enjoyed are One Must Fall, mostly for music and style reasons and War of the Monsters. Not sure if War exactly counts as a fighting game in the traditional sense, but fights that bring down cities and being able to use environmental weapons were cool elements in that game.

I did enjoy watching Salty Bet for a while, the chaotic ridiculousness of that stream is good fun.

Bushido Blade is such a fun game! I remember playing a ton of that when it came out, and the joy of a one-hit KO fighting game was such a cool thing. We’re seeing a little bit of a resurgence with of that design lately with stuff like Nidhogg and Divekick. For me, Nidhogg in particular really captures that feeling that Bushido Blade had of high speed, quick decision making, and goofy and fun interactions.

I never got to try One Must Fall unfortunately, but I have a lot of fond memories of War of the Monsters, I just glanced at the cover art and had a huge nostalgia trip.

as someone who picked up sfv ae in a sale a while back with no fighting game history to speak of and is currently learning how to do combo this is absolutely a thread im interested in

being a juri main isnt making it easy for myself either

Good to have you! I pretty much got my start when SF4 game out in 2008, and the Street Fighter series has been my main focus for most of that time. If you end up with any questions, definitely feel free to ask. Juri might not be the easiest character to start with but I absolutely think starting with a character you like is the way to go, it kept me motivated to keep at it.

Don’t learn combos if you’re a complete newbie, just stick to using your normals effectively. Your normals are way more important to getting damage in and controlling the match.

This is definitely good advice. With Juri specifically, try to get a good handle on the reach of her standing medium kick, standing hard punch, crouching medium kick, crouching medium punch, and hard punch at first; those are some of her best buttons for controlling space.

The original Tekken was one of the first games I ever played and I have a deep and abiding love for Yoshimitsu; I’ve been following Tekken competitively off and on since the arcade version 7 was first able to be played in the states but I’d spent plenty of time watching character overviews and systems tutorials from TTT2 before that. I’ve always wanted to get into the game seriously but I haven’t had anything to play 7 on or the money to get said thing, but I still hope to as soon as I’m financially able.

ive breathed fighting games vicariously through twitch and youtube for a number of years now just never got round to actually picking one and learning the details. its a habit i’ve had loving to learn game systems regardless of whether i play them. so i know all the terms and trivia and characters and some of the history and what frame data is but i cant get a dp to come out consistently or get combo timings down. its a weird situation to be in, knowledge but no muscle memory or practice.

My only fighting game experience has been mashing through the story modes of MK9 and Injustice yeears ago, and occasionally throughout my life being handed a controller for smash and being summarily destroyed.

I picked up Dragon Ball Fighterz on Switch a couple days ago and I really want to get somewhat decent at it. I’ve done the basic tutorial and have been going through the combo challenges for each character, which has been a lot of fun! Favorite character so far is young Gohan but pretty much only because that father son kamehameha makes me emotional every time.

Would love if anyone had general advice or resources on where to go from here, one major thing is that my thumb has been real sore after each session, from what I’ve looked up that’s just a common thing?

Here is a video that really helped me when i was first learning dbz https://youtu.be/XtYw3mt3HMw
Right now I have been working on being able to instant air dash consistently.

Bushido Blade is amazing. I always though it was weird how each of its follow ups was a step back the further you go. Like Kengo came out years later and on the PS2 but isn’t nearly as good.

I love fighting games, I’ve played them all the time in arcades since Street Fighter II came out and and on consoles whenever I could afford them it’s such an awesome genre. The best ones produce an insane amount of personality out of just a single character sprite. And when I think strong atmosphere in games, I mean yeah there’s the obvious GOAT games like Super Metroid and Silent Hill and Bloodborne but there’s a lot of fighting games that fall into that for me too like The Last Blade or Art of Fighting.

Shame about the community, I know there’s been some attempts at improvement but in general holy shit lol.

Fighting games already have a relatively high execution standard compared to some other competitive games, not just to do moves and combos successfully but psychologically also - there’s no team and you have such direct control over a character that you can’t blame someone else for not guarding the payload, if you lose it’s because you weren’t as good as the other player at the game. I think that’s a way bigger hurdle to get over to improve how you play compared to just learning the controls. But I think that’s also a big part of why they appeal to me.

I’m sure you must have seen them at some point but if not, three you might enjoy picking apart are Kizuna Encounter: Super Tag Battle, Real Bout Fatal Fury, and Art of Fighting 3. Kizuna Encounter is unbalanced but is just super fun and the presentation is cool. RBFF and AoF3 were both unsuccessful for SNK but very interesting because they play a lot like a 3D fighting game, except they’re 2D games. AoF3 especially is a joy to look at too because they all of the animations were derived from motion capture of some actual martial artists and stunt people. RBFF is a 2D fighter with ring outs, all kinds of feint moves, three planes you shift between, just three attack buttons like Virtua Fighter. It’s immediate predecessor and successor are interesting too because the three of them are like a weird transition for how 2D fighter could have worked but they didn’t quite take off. A lot of stuff we take for granted in fighting games today like super moves and meters and dashing and stuff all first popped up in their games, like basically if you look at anything in fighting games that come out today, SNK experimented with it in the early to mid nineties, which I find really impressive when you look at the sheer variety and quantity of fighting games they could put out each year. Like just mercilessly pumping out awesome characters and music and backgrounds and ideas non-stop for a decade.

If anyone in this thread has a PS4 or a Switch, you have access to a good selection of classic SNK fighting games (on the PS4 especially). Some of them often pop up in the PSN’s sales so that’s worth keeping an eye on. But man I’m so happy I can have so many of those games in one place in a way that isn’t just an emulator box or a particularly well-stocked arcade.

Man I can evangelize SNK games all day so I’ll stop now. Just, like, everything about them is awesome, a lot of definitive GOAT level video game music and video game art comes from them too. I think more than any other fighting game developer they mastered having backgrounds that are gorgeous to look at even in instances where the setting itself isn’t something one would typically consider “interesting.” There’s too many to post here but on a technical level this is probably one of the best ones:

Anyway their games are all worth checking out just for how awesome they sound and look and the great character designs even if one ends up not enjoying how they play.

Great thread! I’ve always wanted to give fighting games a solid chance but have never made it a priority. I bought SFV at launch and put some work in for a few weeks but I just didn’t get the bug.

Right now I am deep into Smash ultimate and I expect I will continue to put work in.

Can you recommend a good fighter to pick up on Switch or PC?

Thanks!

There’s a lot on both but a few I’d recommend to anyone are:

Switch (you already got Smash so):
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Last Blade 2
Samurai Shodown (there’s five on there, I like 3/4 a lot but opinions are heated so watch some footage first)

For PC:
Killer Instinct
King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
Tekken 7

This seems like a cool thread idea :slight_smile: Just wanted to hop in and say I too love fighting games. It’s one of those genres that have just stuck with me, even though I wouldn’t say I’m particularly ‘good’ at most of the games I play (except maybe at Super Smash Bros, more like ‘competent’ at the rest).

I’m curious though, I’m sure people come to fighting games for different reasons, but I’d be interested to hear what people like about them (as a whole or game-specific).

I’ll throw out a couple things I like about fighting games as a whole:

• It’s really satisfying to feel yourself improve, whether it’s overall skill and beating harder opponents, or just being able to consistently pull of a combo string that was once giving you trouble. Coupled with this is the fact that a lot mechanics carry over across games, so getting better in one game could mean improving in others too!

• Watching a really good match is truly something to behold. The tension, the spectacular moments, to me it all evokes a similar feeling to watching something like a beautifully choreographed dance routine or a really cool fight scene from a film.

• There’s something I really enjoy about the idea of ‘maining’ a character, as well as knowing that everyone else has a fave and feeling that initial surprise when you find out who theirs is.

Anywho, I just wanted to start with something light! Also, if anyone wants some friendly competition, hit me up! I’ll list the games I have that I play the most.

PS4:
Tekken 7
Soul Calibur VI
Mortal Kombat X
Skullgirls
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Switch:
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Pokken Tournament DX

Improving at fighting games is basically an iterative process. You want to build a solid foundation of fundamentals. Hopefully that’s the stuff you can carry from game to game, like defense, spacing, movement.

You’ll want to work on good bread and butter combos, cause at some point you’re gunna need to do some real damage. Optimal damage kinda depends on you as the player. For some players, it’s high level execution for the very most damage. My interpretation of optimal is the most you as the player can dish out, based on your own level of execution. However, as games age and you improve, this should be something you’ll get better at.

Match ups is probably the most challenging for me and probably one that constantly evolves. Ultimately, you just wanna get accustomed to what a character is capable of. Consider how their tools are used, and try to adjust when you face up an actual player.

And I think the most important thing is to take care of your hands. Doesn’t matter if you play pad, stick, or hitbox. Hand, wrist and shoulder pain fucking sucks. Stretch out, give your hands a shake every now and then.

P.S. There’s probably a bunch of stuff I’m missing. I’ll try to raise em when as they come up. But frame data is pretty huge. I forget when folks started studying this stuff, but it changed how folks learned their characters and learned their match ups. This is really easy to find, there are tons of Google docs you can find that have this data, or handy cell phone apps, so you can constantly refer back. This graphic is a pretty easy visualization of frame advantage on hit.
AdventurousBrownGalago-small

DBFZ is a great game, I’m glad you’ve been enjoying it! I’m a huge Dragon Ball fan myself, I love the touches on things like the father son Kamehameha. It’s the game I’ve been playing the most lately, I can definitely offer some general purpose advice.

If you’re having problems with people Super Dashing at you a lot, you can always hit them out of the air with a crouching heavy for a free combo. Do that a couple of times and they’ll probably stop Super Dashing at you pretty quick, haha.

After launching someone, when you knock them to the ground, they’ll enter a sliding knockdown state. You can hit a character with a super if it’s going to kill, but they’ll be popped up after this, and you won’t get to apply any pressure to them. Often it’s better to just take the sliding knockdown and pressure them as they stand up.

Ending a combo with a level 3 super will always put a character in a hard knockdown state, giving you the advantage as they stand up. It’s notable also that every character’s level 3 super is invincible.

Try to avoid neutral tags (tagging when you’re opponent is just standing there) if possible. It’s very easy for the opponent to just crouch heavy the incoming character and they’ll likely take a lot of damage. Try to tag after launching an opponent, or after knocking them down.

I hope some of that is helpful! Please feel free if you have any other questions.

@CritFumble

The best piece of advice I ever got about getting dp motions, and special move motions in general, to come out consistently is to hit the button later rather than soon. Games are usually surprisingly generous about how late you can hit the button after the actual motion, but if you’re hitting it too soon it’ll never come out.

@Pearlmania

I’m definitely on board with NeoRasa in terms of Killer Instinct and Tekken 7. I’d throw in a bid for Dragon Ball FighterZ as well!

I love fighting games. Some of my favorite memories of playing games were in fighting games whether it was beating my older brother in Mortal Kombat 3 on the SNES at his friend’s house or going to a nearby arcade to play Killer Instinct, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, and Tekken.

It wasn’t until Street Fighter 4 that I decided to actually sit down and try to learn what it meant to play one of these games competitively. I watched a video where Gootecks showed viewers how you can hold down+back with Balrog to buffer charge so you can execute headbutt into his ultra move and it blew my mind.

Since then I’ve been in and out of the scene as a competitor, but have never stopped following the scene and it’s players. When I watch top players compete in any game, I’m always amazed not just by their combo execution, but the the sheer level of knowledge, spacing, situational awareness, and defense on display.

Lately I’ve been trying to learn Tekken 7 and every new thing I learn about the game has felt extremely rewarding.

I remember that same video! I started maining Balrog because of how cool I thought charge buffering was, haha.

I’ve also been putting some time into Tekken 7 lately, it just feels so good to play and has so much character to it. I owned 2 and 3 when I was young, but never really put any time into them, so I’m essentially learning Tekken for the first time. If you’re on PC and ever want to play some matches, I’d definitely be down.

Fighting games have always seemed super cool to me but I’ve never really gotten into one outside of casual Smash. Is there a game on PC that would be good for a first-timer with low-ish system requirements? I have a laptop that was mid-range about 5 years ago and I probably wouldn’t be able to run most modern high-profile stuff like Tekken or DBFZ.