A Fighting Game Thread: For Beginners to Veterans

Capcom :b: ro Tour

1 Like

To raise awareness of the value of cognitive behavioral therapy

4 Likes

Most of my very few hours in GG Xrd is with Millia, so I’m very excited to see her return and look super duper awesome

Realizing that Millia is basically Kolin except with a budget.

1 Like

I’ve been playing a lot of GB:VS during quarantine and the other day I managed to have my best round of Charlotta yet.

Also why is this her most damaging combo and why does it do 7k

Anyway, if anyone wants to play some matches (PS4), feel free to DM me.

1 Like

A lot of characters have combos that do around 7k damage, and with the way that damage scaling works, you almost always want to do H special > H normal > H special > H normal > SSBA, or something like that depending on the situation and the character.

Hey folks, ARMS is having a free trial for the full game for another week or so! This early Switch game was kind of overlooked as it launched between Mario Kart 8DX and Splatoon 2. But it’s a fun, beginner-friendly fighting game that has a pretty neat tutorial. Admittedly there’s very few things in here that translate from other fighting games, but I think it’s a really great game, and it’s free atm, so just wanted to let folks know.

2 Likes

I wish ARMS had been released, like, this year, when the slate is so empty for Nintendo. I guess the free trial indicates that Nintendo feels the same way. Definitely will give it a shot.

1 Like

I have a general question: how do y’all find consistent training partners for fighting games?

In Smash I had a friend down the street that I played with almost daily for 6 months, usually online, but that helped me improve a ton. I’m really missing that for Under Night. I’ve found people to practice against on the UNICLR discord, but no one that I’ve played multiple times. It doesn’t help that I can’t go to locals and meet people who are also trying to improve.

TLDR: Is having a consistent training partner a reasonable expectation, or did I get lucky with Smash? How can I find one now?

I mean, basically, you just gotta know more people and play with more people. Finding someone that is completely in sync with you in terms of skill and schedule is incredibly rare, so you have to make up for it with having just way more people to play with when you want to.

There are three avenues to look into: locals, online communities you’re a part of, and online communities dedicated to the game you’re playing.

Locals depend entirely where you live. Growing up in a town of less than 25,000, it was pretty much just who I went to school with and who I knew played video games. Going to a city of <million in uni, I still had to be the one to start and run both local monthly tournaments and weekly meetups (where people just play casual matches/money matches/train etc). But you might luck out.

Of course if you live in a large centre though, just search around. There are probably dozens of meetups every month.

Now that’s, of course, during normal times. In our current pandemic, nearly everything is transitioning to online. Search for those local communities, but also ones that are near you (a state/province or two over, etc.) that you could connect to with a decent connection. I guarantee way more people are up to playing online matches now than ever and, unless that community is run by complete assholes, no one is going to balk at new players joining and looking to play a few matches, in person or online.

Another avenue is to look through other communities you are a part of. Here, for example, but also the discords (like Waypoint’s!) and such. Your mileage will vary greatly and you’re not always going to find people who are the most skilled or dedicated, but you’d be surprised how many people will play even niche games in communities of all sizes.

And if you just want to jump into the deep end, there are tons of discords for fighting games in general, for every niche game you can think of right down to discords exclusively for one character in one game and that’s it. These will be the people who are most dedicated to the game and probably willing to play the game the most, but are also more likely to be a) way more skilled than you (which can be discouraging when you are fighting someone and losing every match) and b) not moderated well, so you can encounter the worst of the worst on it.

No matter which avenue you take, good luck. If you’re looking for nearly daily training, it can be a lot of work just to set things up. But the good news is that now there will be more people than ever looking for the exact same thing, especially in a game that’s still relatively new like UNICLR

5 Likes

As long as you know how to improve, a training partner isn’t necessary.
Obviously you should go to locals if you can, but you can still improve just with playing against random people online and using training mode.

You’re not wrong that you can improve without a training partner, but I think 100% that having a serious training partner can increase your gains exponentially. If you’re playing online, especially against strangers, you can’t get instant feedback on your matches. When I play smash against my brother, I can say “hey you’re rolling from ledge way too much, but I let you get away with it until I need a kill,” and he can implement that thought into his play right away. He wouldn’t get that feedback online with a random. Combos and movement you can improve online, but once you’re taking further steps into fundamentals and psychology having a training partner is massive.

3 Likes

I had a step-brother who I played a considerable amount of Melee with, and while I never got truly good at that game, having someone to play with regularly growing up was a huge help for reaching a point of general familiarization with those systems.

Tried doing the same with DBFZ via my local friend, but we got out of step in experience almost immediately, so I haven’t spent a lot of time with it. It’s not impossible, but trying to become proficient at a fighting game without an acquired enthusiasm or a friend who plays frequently, is incredibly difficult.

3 Likes

I mentioned earlier that I had been having a hard time finding a consistent training partner in UNICLR. Between the playerbase for the game migrating to PC and the netcode being pretty bad, it got to the point that I was having trouble finding matches at all, even using Discord. I saw that Soriz and Djeeta had come out in Granblue, so I decided to take a look at the game again.

Y’all? Granblue Fantasy Versus is good! I still prefer UNICLR, but I’m finding lots of matches, and more people in my local discord are playing it. I tried Djeeta, and for some reason she clicks with me in a way that Gran and Katalina don’t. I’ve got a solid gameplan with her, and some good corner carries/combos (which I couldn’t do consistently with other characters). I feel that, unlike UNI, it doesn’t take as much time to feel like I’m really playing the game. I played a bunch of matches in the lobby, and then moved to ranked. I made it to B rank pretty easily, and while I don’t care about rank too much it feels good to know that I’m not a total beginner. I can definitely see how skills transfer between games, and how UNI has helped me in Granblue.

I also got into the beta for Guilty Gear Strive, so I’ll post what I think about that game from a beginner’s perspective soon!

2 Likes

I personally am not good at getting better just by playing. I’ve been playing power rangers lately and playing online is not helpful. Training mode is whatever. A game like that where you can lose your whole team in a snap is hard to improve without consistent seeing thr same things over and over and learning how to deal with them. Now, if a PC training bot had “that shitty infinite combo” as an option to work against thatd be different. At least for me.

So Granblu is my first Arcsys game and I haven’t gone online yet. Being in an actual lobby with an avatar walking around seems more intimidating than I expected? Are there any sort of etiquette I should know? Does the loser get off the cab?

1 Like

You’re fine. Everyone was a beginner once. Fight people for as long as you want. They’ll either stop, use you to practice things, or keep on destroying you. Just keep trying, try not to be salty, and communicate good game using one of the phrases or a sticker when either of you are finished.

5 Likes

R O B O C O P

1 Like

I spent a lot of my youth in the early 90’s in various arcades and lived through pretty much the Capcom fighters glory days. Though I never played competitively, I always loved playing with my friends and kept up with the scene. College saw a bit more competitive play at my college’s arcade with CapSnk2, GGXX and SC2 being the few that I could hang relatively well.

And just like before, I definitely still keep up with the scene and new releases. Unfortunately, now with a full time job and a family to take care of, I have little time for games in general let alone learning them to play with any kind of proficiency. Though working in a gaming company does at least allow me to find people to play around the office. I just recently finally understood Smash and again can hold my own in Ultimate or at the very least understand why i lost 0-3 stock haha.

Really, that’s all I ask for nowadays. Is to be familiar enough with a game that I can watch something like Evo and understand what’s going on. Even if I know, I’ll never have enough time to be close to that level.

One thing I’ve always wanted was the idea of like a fighting game beer league. Much like how you can usually find a game of pickup softball in your local town, I like the idea of a relatively low pressure, but still with some stakes environment full of other folks like myself who don’t really have the time to devote to fighters, but still like to play or watch them casually.

1 Like