A Game That Uses PS1 Visuals to Tell a Story About Asian-American Identity

Sean Han Tani has made some of my favorite games. Working with collaborator Joni Kittaka, he made Anodyne, a thoughtful 2D Zelda-style adventure, and my personal game of the year in 2016, Even the Ocean. His new game, All Our Asias (out this week) is a more personal work, made mostly on his own in the course of the last year.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/pampqg/all-our-asias-ps1-sean-han-tani

I’ve been going at this a little each day and i’m really fascinated by the comfort with which the game exists, it’s rare to see a product feel finished, and still carry with it a style that is decidedly contrarian and characteristic of antagonistic, low fidelity environments, but not in a way that feels rebellious, instead almost showing a kind of coziness and humanity with it, an acceptance of self expression.

Deeply fascinated by the aesthetic of the game, and the various layers of presentation. I wish the conversation log would be a little more complex, but that’s about it. Really enjoying this game and its ideas.

having finished this, i think it’s a really strong example of how intentionally limiting fidelity can be useful and have its own effect. honestly this deserves to be played by more people.

Thought I would put my take on this game here to not flood the ‘show your writing’ thread with my posts.

This game is great and while I appreciate the art quite a bit, I have been taken with the way it searches for meaning in “being Asian”, so I wrote about my thoughts on the game, and about the construction of the term ‘Asia’.