A Hardcore Lego Fan Spent Six Years Making an Ambitious 'Bionicle' Fan Game

"Bruh, my 8 year old self would've literally had a heart attack if he saw this," reads a comment on a trailer for a game called Bionicle: Quest for Mata Nui. Based on Lego's Bionicle brand, Quest for Mata Nui looks like the kind of action game that would have been released at the height of its popularity in the early 2000s, with flashy graphics, an open world to explore, and robot scorpions to beat on. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y3zjv7/a-hardcore-lego-fan-spent-six-years-making-an-ambitious-bionicle-fan-game
2 Likes

I loved Bionicle as a kid, this and the next specific gen of it too, this would’ve definitely been a precious (yet still somehow slightly scratched up) CD game on my old family Dell, where I had other LEGO games like LEGO Island and Rock Raiders.

Bionicle had a few game iterations in the past but I feel like this is the golden era of powerful tools being available for indies as small as a single person studio to try something modern with it.

I’m glad to see a… erm… modern third person action adventure game-like approach to a classic.

1 Like