A Light in the Darkness: Portable Gaming in Hurricane-Wrecked Puerto Rico

In a dark room, on a small desk, a screen pulses to life, and Mario begins jumping. A Switch, running Super Mario Odyssey, is one of the only sources of light when the sun sets on Falmung’s small Puerto Rican apartment, sapped of electricity for months.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/mb9vm3/a-light-in-the-darkness-portable-gaming-in-hurricane-wrecked-puerto-rico

The administration’s disaster response for Puerto Rico has been fucking disgusting.

I talked about this on a podcast I produce called Headshots. I was in Puerto Rico for two months after the storm before leaving very recently. Getting my Switch charged and having new games made everything so much more bearable. I bought Mario + Rabbids the day before the storm and at the first wifi I found I bought 4 games: Golf Story, Picross, Steam World Dig 2, and Stardew Valley. Mario Odyssey pre-load was the best because it took me over a dozen hours to download it over spotty cellphone reception.