A More Civilized Age or: How Austin and Rob Made Me Watch 9+ Hours of Bad Star Wars to "Get to the Good Stuff"

Heh, yeah. They even move like lemurs, I flinched every time they called them meerkats.

A series set directly post-war sounds great. I’m excited to check this out.

2 Likes

How much cannibalism will be in this? Because if I’m watching a Bad Batch movie, I want cannibalism.

2 Likes

Jar Jar’s Sith name would’ve been Darth Bombadment

1 Like

It’s weird to see outright horniness at all in Star Wars, it’s a very un-horny series even with the romance. It’s especially weird to see the horny come from Obi-Wan and Ventress, who are definitely fucking. Nobody can prove otherwise.

2 Likes

Luke and Han were both extremely horny for Leia in the original trilogy IMO (ok, Luke dropped the horny mid-way through Empire).

1 Like

Yeah but never like Maude Lebowski “Jeffrey,” drops robe, “LOVE ME” horny.

As can be seen in Claudia Gray’s Master and Apprentice, attachment is forbidden but booty calls are not.

Fair point. I do wonder how horny Donald Glover’s Lando gets in Solo, but that would involve watching Solo, which I refuse to do.

3 Likes

It feels like Lucas was slightly ahead of the curve in the prequels with blockbuster cinema just forgetting that sex exists. All the MCU for example just seems remarkably free of horniness.

Anyway, this episode takes a turn and knowing what they’re doing for the next episode has me very excited. Rob’s resignation at the end was very funny. I think the Order 66 disaster was the final straw for Austin.

4 Likes

MCU heroes operate on the same level as shonen heroes. Luffy and Goku don’t know where babies come from, neither does Captain America or Black Widow.

Obi-Wan definitely knows where babies come from, however. Knowing stare:

3 Likes

It’s strange because I wanted to say it’s because of the actors but there are plenty of actors in the MCU who have played roles or generally exude some level of, uh, sensuality? I can’t think of the best word.

I know I’ve said it multiple times but I love that CW Obi Wan delivers every line with this face :smirk:. They’re riffing on a very specific aspect of McGregor’s Obi Wan in the prequels (especially Attack of the Clones and Revenge’s “hello there!”)

2 Likes

I like the idea of James Arnold Taylor (the voice of Obi-Wan and also Ratchet of Ratchet and Clank) never actually seeing the prequel trilogy and basing his performance entirely on the memes.

4 Likes

That entire last bit as amazing. I was putting up curtains and almost fell off my step ladder laughing when Natalie set up her viewing experience and described how she was just absolutely cranking that cotton to get through a raid she had no reason to do but compulsively needed run. I might have to start playing FFIV now. Iconic.

It was also good to know that Austin and I had the same meltdown over the Order 66 bit. Definitely looking forward to next episode. If it’s any consolation to Rob, I started Clone Wars for the first time because of this podcast, intending to watch along with the show. I think I kept pace for the first two episodes of the pod, and then? Well, I watched S7E12 last night because I don’t respect my time or myself.

2 Likes

Are you rewatching the episodes they cover alongside them? I watched it all in a big rush like you but last summer during lockdown when Disney+ first launched here but I barely remember anything of it for some reason so I’m watching the episodes with the pod.

1 Like

I rewatched with them through the R3-S6 arc, then lost all sense of self control and blew through the whole thing. Luckily(?) it was so recent that I still remember episodes as they revisit them, but I’ll probably have to do rewatches the farther we go.

A great episode of AMCA paired with a couple of episodes of Clone Wars I am once again wondering about the politics of. Like, will the show - if it ever comes up again - treat Slick’s betrayal and capacity for free will as dangerous, or a flaw the clones have? Does the show want me to think he did something unilaterally bad? Because I do not.

Even the previous episode’s politics occasionally had a weird both sides-iness to it sometimes, ‘you must end this conflict between your peoples’ that y’all started out of pure racism like five hours ago?? Dunno if this was the ep to have a clone trooper mercilessly gun down the enemy with a cool dual-wielding pistol flair.

2 Likes

I don’t remember if Slick’s betrayal comes up again as anything more than a passing reference, but it is not the last time the subject of clone free will come up (shout-out to Dee Bradley Baker). The idea of any clone expressing free will manifesting as being against the war does absolutely get presented as a flaw in the “clone programming.”

1 Like

Finally got around to this pod and the ending is wiiiiild. Natalie numero uno!!!

4 Likes

As someone who fell off the pod due to not quite gelling with the tone of critique and episode timing issues during my CW rewatch I am very curious to drop back in with ROTS, which is a wild ride.

I see Rob has picked out a gem from the crawl on his Twitter. It is funny but I don’t really get the eagerness in the replies to jump on the “heroes on both sides thing” as rampant centrism.

I am loathe to wade into the Star Wars discourse at this point with how loaded it has all become, and defending Lucas, ultimately a rich white Lib and flawed filmmaker, is fraught but I hope they don’t dwell on that sentence too much.

A questionable phrase in the intro screen to a story of an imperial power sliding into fascism after years of manufactured conflict enabled by a military industrial complex and propaganda against so called “rogue states” wouldn’t be my first criticism to lay at its feet. :smile:

I think there are many fair stones to throw at these films and the effectiveness of what ended up on screen but I think it is indicative of the text , nevermind subtext, of this trilogy not quite being given a fair shake in some ways. It is especially a shame that reactionary members of the fanbase then flocked to re-litigating the Prequels as culture war theatrics.

Okay that is too much Star Wars talk. Wanted to finish by saying I love everyone on this pod otherwise and Godspeed with the rest. My ramblings are no way a diss on having fun with this shit. Bless.

1 Like