Accepting that you suck at a particular game

So, I’ve been trying to get through Bloodborne off and on for a few months now and while it’s taken a lot of effort, I finally made it to to the first boss, Cleric Beast.. I’ve hit a wall because no matter what I seem to try, I can only get about a third of the boss’ health down before they kill me. I know the point of these games is to wash and repeat until you succeed but I don’t seem to be making progress or learning anything new. I’m wondering if I should just accept that I’m not good enough to progress through the game. Does anyone else have this with BB or a different game they felt they couldn’t progress through?

I had trouble with Dark Souls 3, a game in which they took a lot of design cues from Bloodborne instead of the first two Dark Souls games (in those they allowed character builds that didn’t rely on reaction times). I eventually got through the game by grinding and overlevelling the hell out of it and exploiting bosses’ AI. In retrospect that time could’ve been spent better elsewhere.

I just don’t bother with 2D platformers anymore, even with games like DK Tropical Freeze that is basically universally liked, because there’s no point dropping money into something I might only enjoy for the first few levels. I’ve long accepted that I suck at 2D platformers and they’re just not for me. I’ll play games with some aspects of 2D platforming like Hollow Knight, and actually I quite like some slower-paced 2D platformers that are more about puzzle-solving like Thomas Was Alone, Limbo, or The Swapper. Stuff like Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, etc. though, I’ll pass on.

I have a real “I can learn anything if I put in the time and effort” attitude, so for me the acceptance comes not in my own inherent lack of ability, but in accepting that I’m just not willing to devote the time and effort I would need to in order to get good at fighting games. Had I gotten into them when I still had all the free time in the world, I fully believe that I could’ve broken through whatever barriers are holding me back, but alas I devoted much of that time to becoming godlike at First Person Shooters instead.

I love XCOM 2. I also suck at XCOM 2.

I suck at XCOM 2 because I am absolutely unwilling to play that game without copiously ridiculous amounts of save scumming, to the point where it’s actually become part of my process for playing that game. I like being able to see how different scenarios play out and make that part of my playthrough, and also my enjoyment of that game falls off a cliff when I forget that a mech went into Overwatch or forget how much damage a certain attack does and lose a soldier I’ve spent twenty hours training up. I understand that that is on me, and an explicit part of what that game is trying to do… but that’s not the version of that game that I really enjoy (and I appreciate that the game kinda acknowledges that). Instead I want to play it like Into the Breach, where every outcome is clear and I can reset and retry different paths if one ends up being suboptimal. So I’m left with a game that I absolutely love in what some players might consider a compromised state, and I am absolutely terrible at it in the way it’s meant to be played… but I’m fine with that.

I will never be good at chess but that doesn’t stop me from loving reading about chess.

I’ll usually bash my way through single player games until my skills are sharpened, but I’m lousy at any PvP stuff, and don’t have the time or inclination to get better. I’ve played through all the Soulsbourne games (save Demon’s) yet will routinely get destroyed when an invader comes through. I also played a bit of Destiny multiplayer and actually felt bad for the other players on my team, as I was always at or near the bottom of the table each round. Just a different set of skills I don’t possess, and I’m ok with that.

Regarding Cleric, I had the toughest time with him on the first playthrough. Once you get used to the game’s speed and beat him, things may get easier for you.

A few days ago I just uninstalled Hollow Knight. The game is beautiful and interesting and I really like it, but I just can’t kill some bosses. I don’t have the reflexes or the muscle memory for this game and it saddens me a little bit, too old now for these games.

The souls games on the other hand are a lot less difficult than they are designed to feel at the beginning, they just don’t give the player the time or space to learn the timing and develop a sense of the combat. Bloodborne and DS3 are specially guilty of this. I love these games so much, but when thinking about this and how some friends bounced of Bloodborne because of it I can’t help but feel “Bloodborne you’re a prick, fix your attitude friend”

I’m similar to @coltrane in that I do believe that most people, if they put in enough time, effort, and perhaps a willingness to learn from others, can complete most games. That being said, whether most people find worth and enjoyment in mastering difficult games is a far more salient consideration. Like in Bloodborne, I was able to discern a path for me to beat the game even in the early stages, but to me that path would not be a worthwhile use of precious free time when there are other games I’d rather play.

So yeah, don’t get hung up on “not being good enough” OP. That’s a BS concept that only makes you feel bad about what should be a fun and invigorating hobby. Just move on to things you feel are worth developing mastery over and enjoy some video games.

I’m actually pretty good at games with reaction times, partially because I’m the kind of person that needs to try something and fail in order to learn.

This also makes long strategy games extremely frustrating because it may take an hour before I fail and learn. This is why I’ve never beat a StarCraft game even though I’ve put dozens of hours into plying the early missions.

Same boat! I have accepted that I will never experience the Soulsborne games in the way everyone seems to want me to because my brain and reflexes will not allow me to do anything that requires precise timing.

In my experience, the people who want you to experience SoulsBorne games the “right” way are the worst kind of players.

I came across this same issue in Monster Hunter World. I got caught up in the hype, and bought it even though seeing videos and hearing about it just wasn’t a game for me. The only weapon I could use with any sort of confidence was the bow. I try multiple other weapons, long sword, the switch-axe, and another one that I’ve forgotten, and they were just all over my head. Between the combos and having to build up different gauges to make it more powerful, I just couldn’t wrap my head around it. I’m sure playing solo rather than with a group of people didn’t help much either.

If it makes you feel better, I’m replaying DS3 for the 3rd time, and I keep running into roadblocks that I never had playing through the previous times. The thing that keeps me trucking through is that these games are designed to be beatable in a variety of ways. If a group of enemies are messing you up, there’s always the possibility of using ranged weapons or spells to fight enemies one at a time. And if an exceptionally strong individual enemy is doing the wrecking, maybe poison will do the trick, whereas just hacking and slashing won’t.

The exception here is Bloodborne, since the ranged weapons are mostly used for parrying, especially early on, which kind of locks you into a very narrow range of approaches.

Fwiw, I gave up on the first Dark Souls for several years, and only returned to beat it after I forced my wary through the more user friendly DS2. Nothing wrong with giving up or taking a break from a game if you aren’t having fun. All the same, there’s nothing wrong with using a guide or a wiki, especially with Soulsbourne games. Or at least that’s always my preferred way to play…

I wrote a bunch of shit and realized this discussion about hard games was just going to become a Dark Souls thread, so suffice to say that, if you are having a hard time in a Souls game, go online and read the elemental weaknesses of the bosses, and DO NOT feel bad about it.

OH and to the thread’s point: I fucking LOVE Spelunky but I’ve never seen a final boss. I have 70 hours in that game and I just can’t help myself from making some careless error. I’ll never hold it against the game, just myself for being rash!!

despite the not-insignificant hours i have put into them, i suck at MMOs. i feel like i could probably learn how all the mechanics work, the best builds for my characters’ classes, etc, with some time and effort, but i never do. i like playing MMOs to explore the world and story and goof off with friends, so what’s the point of grinding to get the most powerful weapons and armor so i can do, like, raids or whatever? i’ll probably never see a raid and i’m cool with that. as long as i’m capable enough at the game to see most of what i want to see i’m fine with it.

I wanna like strategy games, but I’m bad at the lot of them. Whether they be 4X games or RTSs, I’m terrible at it. The only time I could be considered even mildly competent at a strategy game was when I was big into the Age of Empires 2 remaster, and that’s because one of my friends was a Starcraft master and desperately wanted to share his love of RTSs so he coached my friend group.

I beat him once out of what must have been over one hundred games with a castle rush as the French and it might be my proudest video game moment.

I’m not necessarily bad at RTS, but they stress me out in ways that other games don’t, because they constantly make me think that I suck. Knowing that at any moment I’m probably doing something sub-optimally (i.e. not keeping up with production in the late game or poorly micro-managing battles) leaves my brain feeling exhausted, even if I win. I really want to enjoy Dawn of War III because I love the WH40K universe, but starting a new mission or match just generally makes me feel anxious.

I love turn-based strategy games like XCOM but when I tried out Shadow Tactics, a real-time squad based strategy game, I was terrible at it. I just could not handle things once I got to the point where I had to coordinate the actions of 2 or more characters at once. The reviews for the game are so great, but I had to quit because I was spending so much time failing and just started to feel bad about it.

It’s increasingly looking like I might have to do this with Hollow Knight. I reached the first of three endings, and what it takes to get to the second and third endings is O_o. Platforming isn’t really my main genre (Strategy, rpg and tactics games are more my main thing) so I’m not too surprised by this, but I am a bit disappointed. Youtubing the endings isn’t the same as getting to them.