All That Jazz (Literally. I Want To Hear Some Jazz Please)

Polar Bear is a really cool experimental jazz band from the UK. They use the Wiimote sometimes https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mRS93SP_-FM

I play piano for a living, so every Christmas I have to burn Christmas stuff into my brain. I would go insane on a yearly basis if it wasn’t for Vince Guaraldi https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVB18xbRMI4

John Zorn is extremely not for everyone, but he’s written like 400 albums of stuff like this if he happens to click with you: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy06MDECg10

1 Like

I came to this thread to recommend Kamasi Washington and find recommendations for drummers/pianist, so thanks for this reply. <3

Clair de Lune by Kamasi Washington has been the soundtrack to quite a bit of introspection and reflection for me this year. It’s steady and feels a bit more structured than you might expect from jazz, but I think that’s what I like about it. It’s like if you listen close enough, you can catch a glimpse of whatever emotion is on the back of your mind in this, like this could accompany whatever high or low mood you might find yourself in.

This is a medley of My Favorite Things, Someday My Prince Will Come, and Moanin’ put together for an anime about jazz musicians. I don’t know if most here would consider this very good, but I love it a lot. I’ve been a drummer for a long time and I’ve always wished to be a pianist, so hearing these familiar songs played in a duet between a drummer and pianist is so nice to me.

And speaking of Someday My Prince Will Come, I love Wynton Kelly’s take on it. I think I’ll love any version of this song, but I think I particularly like it with a bit faster tempo and a full band behind it.

6 Likes

Classic.

1 Like

Lots of great stuff, guys.

Here’s some recommendation from my country, Poland.

Krzysztof Komeda was a pianist and composer, he composed music for movies such as “Rosemary’s Baby” (and unfortunately, he died tragically aged only 37). “Astigmatic” is regarded among best European jazz albums (recorded by Polish, German and Swedish musicians) & if you’re into avant-garde/post-bop jazz you should definitely hear it. I love the balance between experimentation and lyricism on this album.

It’s also fusion but here’s one that I very much like

serious shit no playin ho

i don’t know shit about jazz so i’m gonna use this as an opportunity to find some good good ass tunes to listen to

3 Likes

I just had an error where nearly every video on this thread started playing at once and it sounded… Kinda good?! A true wall of sound.

THAT WII-MOTE THEREMIN. Nintenderemin. Therewiin. There’s a portmanteau there somewhere, I just know it.

I’ve been listening to that album a ton lately!! It makes me feel like I’m an engineer on an intergalactic freighter, working diligently but dreaming of the day when I will be the hotshot pilot with cool 80’s hair.

I’m psyched so many people are into Kamasi Washington here! The music video for truth is so beautiful and moves me to tears each time I watch it.

And this one from Lonnie Smith is pure chillout vibes.

I haven’t quite listened through all of it yet, but I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve heard thus far of Alfa Mist’s Antiphon.

1 Like

I’m here to say listen to Smokin’ at the Half Note by Wes Montgomery.

Ninjatune duo Skalpel (who’re also Polish) sample a bunch of Komeda

Ooooo! Pharoah Sanders is amazing, especially his album Karma. He took the religious themes of John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme and took them to their logical evolution to make one of the best things ever!

I’ve been digging into Sun Ra lately, but this is an album I keep coming back to. It’s very loose, groovy, and funky. It’s great to listen to while driving home at night.

Bill Evans is amazing and this album proves it. I listen to this when I get home a lot because it puts me in a very peaceful mood. The live nature of the album keeps it from getting too bland, and keeps you interested.

This last one is a bit of a stretch. Miles Davis’s electric period from the 70s is one of my favorite parts of music history. Some argue that this sound only worked in the studio with albums like Bitches Brew, but I think it sounds even better. It’s Jazz for a post-Hendrix world and it’s amazing and funky as hell. Live Evil is a stand out and more accessible, but Dark Magus is my absolute favorite.

My favorite current jazz musician is Trombone Shorty. I’ve seen him live many, many times, and he never disappoints.

In light of his recent passing, I’d like to put in a recommendation for Cecil Taylor. I’ve only recently put in a lot of focus on his work; the man was a master.

WARNING : FREE JAZZ INCOMING

Jazz Advance, his first record, which features features ahead-of-their-time tracks like Rick Kick Shaw, came out in 1959. That’s wild to me

1 Like

Wynton Marsalis has always been a favorite of mine. The tone he gets out of that trumpet is soothing as all get out.

1 Like

I want to make some room for the (south) London jazz scene which is a super exciting space right now. A lot of artists from the Croydon area often show up on each others records - the most ‘famous’ out of the scene is probably King Krule.

Two artists I want to give a huge shout-out to is the Ezra Collective and The Comet Is Coming. I’d recommend keeping an eye on Brainchild Festival as well - it’s sort of an annual hub for the scene.

Ezra Collective are this sick quintet that plays this hybrid of afrobeat, jazz and hip-hop. Their sound is geared for live performance (which is unreal). I’d recommend checking out the entirity of their ‘Juan Pablo The Philosopher’ EP. Here’s a Sun Ra cover they did that appears on the release.

The Comet Is Coming are a bit more heavy-handed and make this crazy free jazz, experimental racket. Their 2016 album ‘Channel The Spirits’ is a concept album that follows the internal monologue of a comet as it careens toward earth. It’s wild.

Wanted to bring The 1959 Project to your attention—it’s a blog with a daily post about what was happening in jazz on that date sixty years ago. I’m really enjoying it so far.

(This thread is pretty stale, but the Music category is quiet enough that it’s still on the front page for me. Hope reviving it is okay!)

No trip through spiritual jazz is complete without Alice Coltrane

1 Like

Lemme tell ya’ll about that DOOM JAZZ:

Jazz for when you gotta solve that case before the femme fatale shoots you in the back.

Pretty great topic.

I’ve been listening to Erroll Garner and he’s is also a joy to watch perform with his trio. For example,

And of course Misty,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_tAU3GM9XI

Mary Lou Williams has a lot of interesting pieces like this choral work from Black Christ of the Andes,

and her trio album zodiac,

3 Likes