Animal Crossing Has an Unskippable Cutscene That Is Making Me Hate My Visitors

Yesterday I opened the gates to Ella, my island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Then I set my Switch down for 15 minutes while the game played an incredibly long series of unskippable cutscenes.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ag84j/animal-crossing-has-an-unskippable-cutscene-that-is-making-me-hate-my-visitors
2 Likes

I posted a Dodo code to my twitter so I could trade for all of the fruits and yeah, it definitely took… a while for everyone to get in and trade.

Usually I only want one or two people with me, though, so it’s not too bad then. I also wonder if the animation is hiding some backend stuff, the Switch’s internet kind of sucks so it’s impressive it runs so well (well enough to do fishing and bug catching). But it does seem like that should be more on the person coming INTO the town’s side.

2 Likes

Did… Gita… Did Gita just name her island after her cat?

1 Like

Ella deserves no less.

1 Like

It’s pretty disappointing to see Nintendo drop the ball on online features yet again, but after the Pokemon Y-comm disaster, my expectations are already rock bottom. Still, I am having a lot of fun with the online features, even passively.

I woke up at 4AM this morning (not deliberately), opened my gates (with a Dodo code that I put in a discord) and then went back to sleep so that some north hemisphere friends could fish for sharks on my island. Don’t have to deal with that cutscene if I’m literally asleep hehehe.

Just experienced this today and it was only with two friends. Can’t imagine what its like having a big group of visitors.

It would be pretty cool to see it get patched or something but I have pretty much zero hope for that happening.