Anthem Thread for First Impressions, Criticism and Praise

Yes, but also cutting the drop rate of MW/Legendary gear significantly. It’s like sideshow bob stepping on the rakes in game form.

Technically they fixed a bug that was causing way way way too many Legendaries and MWs to drop, or at least that’s what they’re saying.

Ah the ole “actually this is a bug fix not s nerf” excuse that always goes well

1 Like

No, like there was a new bug that increased rates dramatically for only a couple hours before it was set back to normal. Rates are not any lower than they were a few days ago.

1 Like

Maybe I’m the weird one, because all the things some in the Anthem community are getting so bent out of shape about, I just don’t care. I just hit 50 hours, grinding out contracts and weapon challenges and doing freeplay and world events, and I’m still having a blast. I’m having far more fun in Anthem’s first month than I ever did Destiny or Destiny 2’s first months. And knowing that it’s only going to be get better, sign me up for more.

3 Likes

But also, the rates are way too low for a loot game and people getting a taste of the good shit and having it yanked away hasn’t gone over well. MWs and legendaries shouldn’t be rare if they can roll modifiers with +0% damage.

I mean I don’t really disagree. I’m looking forward to the inevitable redesigns, however long it takes to get them.

I think the game has gotten much better since the recent patches (still a ways to go though…) I’m getting a masterwork drop every run, sometimes 2-3. A few legendaries so far as well.

I’m still having fun. I can jump on, see what the dailies are (complete one legendary contract for 500 coin? I can think of worse ways to spend 20 minutes.) - And then I can jump over to another game. It reminds me of what drew me to Destiny in the early days, I enjoyed spending a bit of my night patrolling around Mars just looking for chests or world events.

I actually miss that I’m at the point where there are no unique conversations. The only time my Freelancer speaks now is when I’m on a legendary contract, in response to the quest giver. Just a simple “on it.” It’s a bit jarring to go from a chatty, cool, and humorous character to a “yes man” running the same quests over and over.

2 Likes

So this just dropped:

Really worth a read, although if you read the Destiny chapter of Blood, Sweat, and Pixels you already know what to expect. Big budget game dev is broken and EA has no idea how to fix it.

2 Likes

I would argue that EA doesn’t particularly think it’s broken. I bet Anthem made money.

I think the common thread between the Anthem dev cycle and Destiny’s was a lack of leadership and vision for the final product. People kept changing their minds on what they wanted the game to be, and nobody wanted to make the hard call to commit in a certain direction. Seemed like when Casey Hudson left, it just started a domino effect of nobody being ready and willing to take the ball and run with it to lead the project.

1 Like

Bullet points for those who don’t have the time

-Bioware’s main office had woefully incompetent management who were too busy smelling their own farts and expecting the game to just magically come together in the final months of development (they literally coined the in company term of “bioware magic”) that they were incapable of making creative decisions on what the game would be until the last year of development.

-Frostbite was not made for RPGs and didn’t have basic features the development team were used to having, resulting in an overly complicated design process on the technical end that slowed development.

-Nobody listened to Bioware Austin, the only part of Bioware with experience with live service model games, because the main Bioware office genuinely believed they were the best Bioware cause they made Mass Effect.

-Fucking everyone just started leaving, including the guy who was going to produce Dragon Age 4 because Casey Hudson came back (???) and management restructured, kneecapping his project.

-When it was finally decided Anthem would be a loot shooter, the team wanted to take notes from Destiny and Bioware leadership refused to even let them speak that game’s name in the office.

-Flying was added, then removed, and then added back again when they realized that was the only thing of worth developed by 2017 and the only way they wouldn’t have the whole project cancelled by EA management if they didn’t show it off and commit to it.

-Bioware and EA responded to the article right as it went up, only having enough time to read some bullet points Kotaku had sent when asking for a comment, and somehow decided the article was a hit piece against Bioware management and instantly went on the defensive with patronizing spin that refused to even acknowledge there was a failure within the company in developing this game.

3 Likes

The only thing that gives me any hope for the future of the game is that from all accounts, it seems like it’s purely in the hands of the Austin studio from here on out as they run the live-service. From a paragraph towards the end of the article:

Perhaps Anthem will morph into a great game one day. A few people who worked on it have expressed optimism for the future. “A lot of us were screaming at the wall,” said one Austin developer. “Over time, what builds up is, ‘Okay, when we get control, we’re going to fix it.’ Sure, the game has all these problems and we understand them. It’s very much a ‘motivated to fix’ attitude.”

As you said, they actually have experience with a live service game, and they seemed to know going into release that they would need to fix the game once they got sole control over it from Edmonton.

1 Like

I’d agree…but then I remember that the loot system is so fundamentally broken that I’m honestly not sure you can patch the very core of the game’s single most important system without briefly breaking the whole thing.

If this is going to be a loot game, they need to pull a Warframe and do loot 2.0. The loot works well enough to get you through the story content. But if you want an endgame phase of continually refining gear to increase power or create “fun” builds, the current approach simply can’t do that to any meaningful degree.

You mean Diablo III?

(point being there are so many examples that Management could have learned from but they seemed determined to do it their own way, even if they wouldn’t commit on what that way was)

1 Like

I mean, one of the people in charge of the turnaround in Diablo 3 (including Loot 2.0) literally went to the Anthem subreddit and laid out all the changes he would recommend based on his experience. They’ve been given a roadmap! All they have to do is read the damn thing!

1 Like