Anti Choice ad appearing on site

I posted about this elsewhere but was asked to make a new thread, so here:

Please let me know if this isn’t something you can do anything about, because I understand it may be out of your control. But reading the site today I got an anti choice campaign ad from a group here in Ireland called “love both” :roll_eyes:

I’d rather not have their ads showing up on the site, especially as they have been known to run aggressively graphic campaigns at times. Thankfully the one I saw was not graphic (in the spoiler below)

Waypoint Radio - Podcast Quality Control Issues

I sent a message to Austin about this a little while ago. Disappointing there still appearing.

Somewhat surprised that the Vice ad team would accept money from this sort of hate group campaigning against the corporation’s editorial values/Vice brand. :frowning:

This is why I have no remorse when using adblock.

As mentioned in the other thread, reported this weeks ago. Reported again today, and will follow up on Monday so that it doesn’t get buried over the weekend (which is what I expect happened last time).

Re: Accepting these ads, VICE’s websites all use programmatic ads on top of traditional ad buys. What that means is that a third party services serves up ads pulled from a list of people who have bought “inventory” across the web. It’s not something I love (and it’s been something the team has put in complaints about since we launched), but it’s also a company wide thing and therefore not something we can currently change, unfortunately.

All of that means that bad ads get served up and then we follow up with the ad team and request they block the buyer. It’s a very reactive situation, and also a very. very frustrating one!

This is pretty gross. I know there’s very little the Waypoint staff can do about it on their end as it’s a company wide thing, but it’s still hateful shit being served up alongside their writing because money. It’s not excusable on Vice’s part.

This is terrible.

I hope Vice sorts this out, and big thanks, Austin for reporting this up the chain.

I’m not as surprised, in my eyes Waypoint is a shining light born out of the absolute hell zone that is Vice.

Waypoint is the fifth season of Angel.

Thanks for the hard work, Good Brother!

Shit like this blows my mind. I just cannot understand how in this day and age, with the amount of money in question and the amount of data out there, that blind buys of web space are still a thing. It’s just absurd. Is it pennies on the dollar or something? Could I be buying random ad space just for kicks at bargain bin prices? How does anyone willingly plunk down dollars on ads and just tick off the “whatever as long as its eyeballs” box?

You look at the analytics that must be out there and wonder how something like this even still happens. I had to laugh, and I sent my friends a photo of it the other day. I was reading a news story about the Austin bomber, and the ads being served to me were for the competitive rates for leasing Lamborghinis. It’s this weird mix of horrifyingly specific based on my recent searches, or comically off base.

In short: Yeah, it’s dirt cheap to buy like this.

If your site can garner a standard cost per thousand between $5-10 on a traditional, direct ad buy, you likely have unsold inventory that sits empty - UNLESS, you work with a programmatic solution that fills that unsold inventory. So instead of making your $7 per thousand, the buyers take part in an auction and buy at the lowest possible price. Depending on the site, advertisers could pick up the inventory for less than a buck. On the publisher end, all the slots are filled, so you made something instead of letting the page load with a blank in the ad slot.

The problem that Austin mentioned above is that a lot of times, it’s something that can only be reacted to, and not preemptively blocked since there are so, so many buyers. Once a buyer is blocked, they’re off, but the next less-than-stellar buyer is waiting in the wings.

Seif is spot on here, these things have popped up thru programmatic buying desks, IE dirt cheap unsold inventory.

We’ve revisited our blocklist for contextual blocks / categories, and every now and then a company will slide by these filters by improperly categorizing their ads. This campaign (and advertiser in general) have been blocked completely, and once again thank you all a ton for taking the time to let us know on the forum, rather than just saying ‘that sucks’ and closing the tab. It really helps and we’re checking the site feedback area constantly.

Thanks Joel and all the team. :+1:
Knowing that you’ll take these reports seriously is what stops me from just going “that sucks” and moving on.