Anyone seen BlacKkKlansman?

I just walked out of the theater and am blown away. I’m not even sure what I have to say at this point; it’s an incredible film from all angles—narrative, craft, performances, etc.—and I’d love to hear all of your thoughts. It feels like it raises a lot of good questions about the nature of working inside/outside a system, on the changeability of systems themselves, while having a sequence midway through that deconstructs BS centrist both-sidesism incredibly well.

Anyway, since I didn’t see a thread for it yet, I thought I’d make it. What’d y’all think?

It’s the first movie I’ve ever seen back to back in two days in my entire life. That’s a good indicator of how much I love it.

Out for the moment, but one thing I wanna touch on is how it’s read between white and black audiences. Similar to get out, for me BlacKKK may as well have been a dark comedy - we were absolutely losing our minds laughing at some of the scene. the scene where the man and his wife talk about killing black people like they’re about to go to Disneyland almost broke us. in contrast, the white people around us seemed to be super uncomfortable - perhaps even more so because of the confusion at our laughter.

To put it shortly, “we been knew.” racism, to me and my black friends, is a part of our daily lives, and there’s an absurdity to the beliefs of racists that you can’t help but laugh. It’s an extremely helpful defense mechanism.

Anyways. Go see this movie. I’m probably gonna be all over this thread lol.

I’m from Colorado Springs, and I’ve never heard this story before! I mean, Colorado definitely had its share of the Klan that I’d heard about, but not this story in particular. Good ol’ CSPD. I loved this movie, it was really powerful.

I feel this way a lot, and especially during this movie. It’s like, haha, listen to the dumb shit these people were saying all those years ago. And then… The end happened, and all the footage from Charlottesville. They’re saying the same stuff, doing the same things. It really drives the point home. Anyway, I’m gonna recommend this movie to everyone I can.

I think this having happened in not the Deep South™ is really unique and separates it from a lot of similar stories. Both John David Washington and Laura harrier were fantastic in the movie along with Adam Driver handling bluffing and unease really well. I have some thoughts about later scenes including some trigger warnings for racial violence: The end of the whole bomb scene until the cops try to arrest Ron Stallworth feels a lot like the “things are falling apart” section of a Coen brothers movie. That’s where I felt the comedic sense of the movie the most. Still was trying to figure out what all Spike Lee was trying to get across in the scenes where the movie kept cutting between the KKK swearing in/Birth of a Nation and the Black Student Union talk about the lynching and burning of an innocent black man. I understood the contrast for most of the scene, but the very end where chants of “white power” were matched with “black power” was kind of confusing?
On a different note, though, I am starting to not be able to stand Paul Walter Hauser’s roles/acting choices after seeing him in I, Tonya and this where he plays the same bumbling goof who commands WAY too much screen time. It distracts the hell out of me.

My read on that scene you mentioned with the cutting between Birth of a Nation and the Black Student Union talk was an as-explicit-as-possible rebuke for the those who would equate people chanting white power to people chanting black power, because it clearly lays out the context for both and removes any possibility of equivocating between them. Or at least that’s what I thought Spike Lee was going for, and I thought he pulled it off pretty well.

Gotcha, I guess I was thrown off by putting the chants at the end. But yeah, I guess I go in with that already figured out so it threw me off.

I’m hoping to see it next week. I think there’s a live q&a screening with Spike Lee afterwards as well.

I’m a CO Native as well. Not exactly the story I’d want to rep our state, but it happened, so…

I can’t believe they made a comment on a “ghetto at Five Points.” I was like “damn, so we’ve been acting this kinda fool forever now huh.”

THANK YOU. Can not stand Paul Walter Hauser. And the fact that he’s literally playing the exact same character here as in I, TONYA lends a kind of perfunctoriness to all of those scenes.