Apple Event: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple Watch Series 3, Apple TV 4K

The iPhone X, pronounced “ten”, features a 5.8-inch Super Retina OLED edge-to-edge display with a 2436 x 1125 resolution and 458 pixels per inch, including HDR support in Dolby Vision and HDR10 formats, as well as True Tone technology.

The device uses touch-based gestures to interact with iOS 11 in lieu of a home button, and is powered by a next-generation A11 Bionic neural processor that handles world tracking and scene recognition, backed up by a GPU that enables graphics at 60 frames per second. The handset comprises a glass and stainless steel design, which features a front-facing camera with advanced facial recognition and authentication technology called Face ID.

The Face ID authentication process utilizes the 7-megapixel front-facing TrueDepth camera along with a dot projector, infrared camera, and flood illuminator, in order to accurately map and recognize the user’s face, so that it can be used to authenticate Apple Pay and gain access to secure apps. By combining these technologies, Apple claims that Face ID learns to recognize the user’s face under a variety of conditions, and can’t be fooled by photographs, with a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of mismatch, which compares to 1 in 50,000 for Touch ID.

There’s also a redesigned, vertically aligned dual-lens TrueDepth 12-megapixel rear camera, featuring Quad-LED True Tone flash with dual optical image stabilization, while Portrait mode with Portrait Lighting on both the front and rear cameras offers dramatic studio lighting effects for creating portraits with a shallow depth-of-field effect in five different lighting styles.

Elsewhere, the iPhone X’s glass back supports wireless inductive charging that works with Qi-certified third-party charging devices, including pads offered by Mophie and Belkin. Apple also gave a sneak peek of AirPower, an Apple-designed wireless charging accessory coming in 2018, which offers an active charging area to simultaneously charge up to three devices, including Apple Watch Series 3 and a new optional wireless charging case for AirPods.

The iPhone X comes in 64GB and 256GB storage capacities, costing $999 and $1149, respectively. The iPhone X will be available to pre-order from October 27 and will ship on November 3.

The backs of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are made from “the most durable glass ever in a smartphone,” according to Apple, and each one is color-matched to an aerospace-grade aluminum bezel. Both devices are splash, water, and dust resistant to IP67 standards.

The iPhone 8 measures in at 4.7 inches and the iPhone 8 Plus is 5.5 inches, like the past few models of iPhone, and they come with a new Retina HD display with True Tone technology. True Tone adjusts the white balance of the display to match the surrounding light so looking at the iPhone 8 provides a “more natural, paper-like” experience.

Apple said that the speakers have been redesigned and are as much as 25 percent louder and deliver deeper bass than the iPhone 7. All of the iPhone 8’s new technology is powered by the A11 Bionic chip, featuring a six-core CPU design with two performance cores and four efficiency cores. A11 Bionic integrates an Apple-designed GPU for “up to 30 percent faster” graphics performance than the A10.

The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are each getting a “more advanced” 12-megapixel rear camera, with a faster and larger sensor, new color filter, and deeper pixels. Each smartphone includes Portrait mode with Portrait Lighting, which introduces studio lighting effects to iPhone, letting users change the depth-of-field effect with five different lighting styles.

The iPhone 8 will be available in 64GB ($699) and 256GB ($849), while the iPhone 8 Plus will be available in 64GB ($799) and 256GB ($949). Each device will be available to order starting Friday, September 15 and then launch September 22.

Upon launch, the iPhones will be available in the following territories: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UAE, the UK, the US, and US Virgin Islands.

This also includes wireless charging.

Apple Watch Series 3 is available with cellular capabilities built right into the device, so you can leave your iPhone behind and still send or receive calls and messages, listen to Apple Music, and more over LTE or 3G. Apple Watch shares the same phone number as your iPhone, but it requires an add-on plan.

Apple Watch Series 3 is also available in a Wi-Fi + GPS version without cellular. All models feature a 70 percent faster dual-core processor, a new wireless Apple W3 chip, and a barometric altimeter.

Series 3 models look the same as Series 2 models, with 38mm and 42mm sizes in gold, silver or space gray aluminum, or silver or space black stainless steel.

Apple Watch Series 3 pre-orders start on Friday, September 15, with in-store availability beginning September 22, in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Puerto Rico, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

Wi-Fi + GPS models start at $329, while Wi-Fi + GPS + Cellular models start at $399.

The new Apple TV 4K supports HDR in both the HDR10 and Dolby Vision standards.

Apple TV 4K is powered by an Apple A10X chip, which delivers up to two times the CPU performance and up to four times the GPU performance compared to the previous-generation Apple TV.

Apple services chief Eddy Cue said the price of 4K HDR movies on iTunes will be the same price as HD movies, and users will get automatic upgrades of HD titles in their existing iTunes library to 4K HDR versions when they become available for no additional charge.

4K content will also be available from popular services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video on the new Apple TV coming soon.

Apple TV 4K is available with 32GB or 64GB of storage for $179 and $199 respectively. It can be ordered starting September 15, with in-store availability starting September 22.

With support for AirPlay 2, coming later this year, Apple TV can control multiple AirPlay 2-compatible speakers as well as your home theater speakers to create the ultimate home music experience.

The fourth-generation Apple TV did not receive a price cut and remains available for $149.

iOS 11: September 19th
watchOS 4: September 19th
tvOS 11: September 19th
macOS High Sierra: September 25th

I hate the layout of the divot-avoidant battery life/time/signal strength UI elements on the X so much.
there’s loads of space to the right of the battery but basically none to the left of signal strength. also the stuff on the right should be swapped with the time because the signal strength icon tapers in the same direction that the corner of the phone curves if you put it on the left.

Welp…

Guess I’ll either be sticking with my 6s for the time being or swapping out for a Plus cause those prices are noooooo thank you. Also face recognition kinda creeps me out.

Alright, it really creeps me out.

Also my gen 1 Apple watch is collecting dust somewhere on my desk so I don’t see myself getting a new one of those either.

My understanding is you can just turn the face recognition off and use a passcode. But it’s a shame about the price and the ui bit I hate, because I’m currently on a 6 which they don’t even sell anymore, so I’m probably due. Guess I’ll go with an 8 or 8+.

Ah sweet I just bought an Apple TV and they don’t have a trade-up feature for the new one. Thaaaaaaaanks Apple…

It doesn’t help you now, but just FYI macrumors tracks the number of days (along with average number of days) since the last product revision for a given apple product so you know what kind of odds you’re playing against when you decide to bite the bullet on a new device: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iOS

I got a Mac Mini recently knowing that it was past due for an update, so it’s a bit comforting that Apple still isn’t updating it. It’s weird that they’re selling a desktop computer that hasn’t updated its specs or price in three years, but I guess that’s just the cost of entry into the Apple system (I didn’t previously own a Mac and needed one to be able to compile programs targeting Apple platforms).

please don’t buy any of these things, thank you

I don’t know exactly what ‘just bought’ means, but Apple’s standard return policy is that you have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it, so you can always bring it back and use the refund for a new one.

+1. the price is ridiculous. I am still preferring the Samsung Galaxy phones, which is much easier for data transfer between computer and the phone.

iPhone X looks amazing, but it is too expensive…

Pre-orders for the iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, and the Apple Watch Series 3 begin tonight at 12:01 PST/3:01 EST. You can pre-order on Apple’s website, carrier sites, the Apple Store app, or through Target and similar retailers.

Apple Store link: http://store.apple.com

Wasn’t sure whether it was worth making a new thread for or not, so i’ll just revive this one instead!
Did anyone preorder the iPhone X on friday? I got my preorder in, apparently a couple of minutes too late though, because my delivery date is showing as November 13th - November 20th.

Yup! Using the iPhone Upgrade Program, mine is coming on Friday, wife’s arrives a couple weeks later. The ~5 minute difference in order times made a difference, clearly!

Still not get my iPhone X. two weeks more from the websites notice, lol

I am curious about iPhone 8 security, is it easy to hack?