April Fools 2019 Highlights

It’s that time of year again, have you actually managed to find any aptil fools stunts that weren’t tired or horrible?

I have two so far. The winner for me right now is Extra Credits, who made easily the most classic april fools video ever and it genuinely made me laugh. They also went right for the jugular with one of those entries and that took me off guard in a good way.

Dan Olson managed to get a win in through a different way by presenting his video as a joke and then swerving into probably the most concise and sobering criticism of Fortnight and modern gaming monetization schemes I’ve seen.

And hey, Phelous deserves a shout out for going subtle. He read another terrible creepypasta story, except this one was a parody story, and he never actually points that out. It’s a really weird joke to go with but it works, partly because the parody story is so good at parodying actual creepypasta stories.

Everything else has been route or terrible so far.

2 Likes

i’m always a sucker for April Fool’s jokes that call the audience’s bluff, so i’m into Digital Foundry joking about a Bubsy episode of DF Retro - and then not only doing it, but making it surprisingly interesting:

also shoutout to Digital Extremes and Grinding Gears, who both apparently thought “why make one in-joke when we can make several dozen in a short space of time?

1 Like

EXPLODES INTO THREAD HEAVILY PANTING AND SLAMS THROUGH A WALL

EVERYBODY STOP WHAT YOU’RE DOING

NITRO RAD WON APRIL FOOLS

SPOILERS

that was a bothered beaver

2 Likes

On Twitter, Terrace House Food Shots (@TerraceFood) has been shots of Yama all day instead of shots of food.

1 Like

Reddit Games decided to subvert April Fools with a serious post about inclusivity in the gaming community. Edit: further down the forum I saw there’s already a Forum thread on this specifically, so maybe it doesn’t fit there. Still the coolest thing I saw on April Fools this year.

1 Like

You say that as if Yama isn’t already a snack

:wink:

SBNation posted their belated April Fools gag today

Their retrospective series (Rewinder, Beef History, Collapse) have all been stellar, and this is a fantastic way to take advantage of that.

2 Likes

Without a doubt, one of the most impressive fakes I’ve ever seen

I was previously unaware of NitroRad, and this is one hell of an introduction. Riffing on the Eric Andre Show SEEMS simple, but this is the first I’ve howled laughing at!

That pinned comment tho

I quite enjoyed Andrew ?'s Binging with Babish April Fools, which was giving a recipe from Pokémon’s Brock and his jelly donuts…

Followed up the following day by an actual episode of the show for onigiri:

1 Like