Arcadia: Inside the SEGA Dreamcast

The SEGA Dreamcast occupies a nostalgic place in the hearts of many gamers. It was one of the first consoles to feature online-play, and had a powerful processor that gave it the ability to run high-resolution graphics.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/arcadia-inside-the-sega-dreamcast/5908b6d037d188e40d012560

Pilot Week Videos Discussion

This is neat! But one correction - the SH4 had a 128-bit bus (which was how Sega justified the “128-bit system” marketing), but was a 32-bit processor.

Love the design and idea of these videos. I mentioned this on the Game Boy one too, but it would be cool if they were a bit longer and more in-depth. For example, mentioning how the Dreamcast exclusively hosted several colorful and weird Japanese games and that its roster of those hasn’t really been matched since.

Ohhh noooo I wanted to hear Rob’s voice for like at least 45 more seconds in this video.

I loved my Dreamcast. I feel like unmet ambition’s often used to turn older gaming hardware and software into punchlines, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Technology inevitably gets better, but I have to give credit to the people who risk doing it first, even if it means not doing it right. Ignoring that is like making fun of an old movie for not being 4K.

So about a month ago I pulled out my Dreamcast and was wondering if people had found a way to reverse engineer the netcode of the Dreamcast. Turns out someone has made what they are calling the DreamPi that lets you connect up to their network they’ve put together and even have a light online player webapp thing so you can find your friends and see what games they are playing and who’s online.

At the time I checked people were playing Quake3 arena and Phantasy Star it looked like.

There’s also a cool easy to do hardware mod someone in Russia put together that replaces the GDROM with a flash drive reader. Costs about $200 + shipping IIRC. On my list of “Things to do when I have money”.

I had so few genuinely fun games for that system as a kid, but goddamn if it didn’t get me on the Soul Calibur train immediately. It was also the system that suffered my endless hours of Marvel VS Capcom 2. Rest in power, Ol’ Dreamy.