Are spoilers a deal breaker for you?

Not a deal breaker, by any means. But more and more, I cherish experiences where I have no informed expectations, and have to uncover the game’s secrets for myself. Hollow Knight was a fun instance of that. I backed the game and then didn’t really follow the development much at all. It turned out to be fantastic, and I loved stumbling around in the dark, clinging to a hastily brokered trust with the people who poured years of themselves into this thing.

I don’t find them to be a deal breaker as a general rule. Unless the spoiler is that the game is bad in some way that makes me not want to experience it. That being said, I don’t particularly like finding out about plot points in a very story based game. Especially when they are bits that you can’t change in any way. Like finding out about one of Mass Effects endings would not have upset me because I could have at least banked on the idea that I might do something even slightly different.

Not a deal breaker in the sense I will never play the game. But if I was really looking forward to it and I get told the major twist, it creates a disconnect because I’ll now never get to experience the reveal/twist naturally. If I was say, spoiled on P5’s major twists, I’d probably wouldn’t have been freaking out as much as I was, and that would really suck.

Nah, but there are certainly certain kinds of things I think are better unspoiled, just because they are so surprising and great to run into unexpected.

But if I do find out one of those in advance it’s rarely gonna completely kill the experience for me.

I absolutely don’t care 99% of the time. A lot of my favorite games are games I knew basically everything that happens in them.

I have a complicated feeling on spoilers cause sometimes my own curiosity and wiki access will get the better of me.

I also really hate when someone even vaguely hints at an emotional response to a moment in media because even if they didn’t spoil anything instead of steeping in the moment all I think about… Is that conversation instead.

Not really. I play a lot of old games where I already know a lot of the big beats but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying them. That being said, if I know I’m totally going to play a new game, I tend to not watch much about it just so I can experience it fresh.

Having been at uni for the last 4 years having every book and film under the sun spoiled for me without much warning, I have grown fairly numb to it. That said, if I am choosing to want to watch or play something I will try and consciously avoid things where I can. When I write about films I try to go in fairly blind too.

I spent a few years being really serious about avoiding spoilers before I realised that I wasn’t finishing a lot of the games I play anyway and I was being a jerk to other people by making it impossible to discuss things I hadn’t seen around me. These days I don’t go out of my way to avoid spoilers, but I don’t care if something gets spoiled for me.

I don’t actively seek out spoilers but they don’t bother me at all, especially since this research a few years ago confirmed that in some instances, spoiling media can enhance your enjoyment.

Usually it isn’t an issue, sometimes it drives me to finish an experience even. I heard what the ending to INSIDE was before playing it, and honestly knowing that was the only thing keeping me going in the game.

No, but I do try to go into things cold because those tend to be my favorite experiences. For instance, I watched Over the Garden Wall upon recommendation without knowing anything about it and that absolutely made it that much more mysterious and exciting.

I saw a poster link that article from a while back that shows evidence that, for the average person, knowing the main beats of a story beforehand enhances their enjoyment of said story. That very well might be the case, that most people tend to get bored and overwhelmed in the face of unanswered questions, and would rather not wait for answers. However, for me personally, I enjoy the detective work and do not feel any anxiety about unknowns (at least in fiction, heh). So for me it’s different, I would much rather exist in that space where I still have questions that give me something to think about. Obviously it’s different for different people and creators alike!

It bothers me but I don’t let it ruin my day. More often than not, it makes me interested to continue or check out a game.

It really depends what it is for me. I’m very specifically avoiding reading about the stories (or really anything) from some of the big recent releases I haven’t yet gotten around to. Conversely with a game like Dark Souls the thing I don’t really want to see ahead of time are the boss fights - less from a story perspective, more from an ‘I want to work out how to fight this thing for myself’ angle.

In certain cases I’ll intentionally read into a story ahead of time to make a decision about whether or not I want to see it be played out. Getting spoiled on a major beat probably won’t turn me off playing a game, but I’ll generally try to go in sight unseen in most cases if I have the opportunity. Sometimes it takes a few spoilers to sell me on a thing, however: certainly hearing discussions on end-of-year podcasts have convinced me to play certain games that I might otherwise have never touched.

One thing is that I do kind of like advance warning if there’s something in the game I’m NOT gonna like. Then I can just be prepared for it and compartmentalise it a bit and try to enjoy the rest.

So I do like to know if a game is gonna be really crappy with LGBTQ+ stuff, and I would like to know if at some point in the game there’s a really frustrating bit that I might want to use a guide or cheats for. That kind of thing, where I get to it and instead of being thrown by it I can just sigh and say ‘well, I knew this was coming’ and get past it.

This is the same for me. The worst part is that it doesn’t even have to be a ‘real’ spoiler, it can be totally fabricated, but I can’t stop thinking about it the entire time I’m playing. I don’t get mad at people over spoilers, but I generally know if I want to play something or not from a couple of minutes of gameplay and the basic premise; if I want to play something, I’ll intentionally avoid all trailers, story discussion, etc, until I’ve finished it.

I avoid spoilers whenever possible, but the true deal breaker for me is hype. I’m probably an old man trapped in a twenty-something’s body, but I get curmudgeonly as hell about people coming at me with “Stranger Things CHANGED MY LIFE!” This was said to me once, and I haven’t looked in ST’s direction since. I knew the hype around No Man’s Sky was going to result in something truly dismal, but I went ahead and bought NMS anyway. It couldn’t maintain my interest past the second star system, and “dismal” was a pretty accurate descriptor for my feelings about it.

I worked door-to-door as a canvassing agent for a window company, and one of the first things I was taught was to match the other person’s energy. Sometimes, and I’m guilty of this myself from time to time, you love a thing enough to get up in someone’s face about it. I find that is usually the mind-killer for any potential interest they might have.

I’m not a “peppy” person, and being faced with pep exhausts me because I know I frequently can’t match the reaction they were hoping for. Don’t project your reactions onto other people, y’all, they hate that.

almost never, except for games im explicitly told to avoid spoilers for like nier. with most games i find them annoying but never enough to ruin the experience for me

Feeling out of sync with something is a weird feeling these days. I watched Stranger Things and enjoyed it, but in the back of my head all I could think about were all the think pieces that would appear from it, all that nostalgia wringing and 80s love, when in reality a lot of the show felt largely surface level.

I completely respect people’s reactions to that show, since I will be the first person to go on an hour-long tangent about why the Hannibal show succeeded on nearly every level for fans of Thomas Harris. I have enough critical understanding of film language and storytelling to go into the minutia of “why?”

But I think that’s my hangup: people who shriek about their new favorite show don’t seem to have a lot to connect it to. When you say something changed your life and then prance away without a qualitative analysis, leaves me feeling like what I’ve just been told is insubstantial. Almost “put-on” like a Facebook post; it doesn’t feel sincere. Have I mentioned I have some capital-T, capital-I Trust Issues?

Maybe I’m just an elitist prick, with more intellectual pretensions than I deserve to hold, but I don’t think so. I think I’m most receptive when someone either gives me some good food for thought before going in, or says nothing at all and just shows it to me. I don’t think people should feel obligated to perform a heightened interest, simply to legitimize a “guilty pleasure” in their own minds. I can’t see their vamping as anything other than compensating for a lack of confidence in what they’re saying.