Are there any lesser known 2019 games that you're currently anticipating?

For me, I’m really anticipating The Surge 2

Simply because I found The Surge 1 to be a very flawed yet engrossing experience, so a sequel that delivers more of what I enjoyed about the first game (like its limb targeting system) while also addressing some of the big criticisms of its predecessor (like the lack of environment variety) is something I’m really looking forward to. How about you? Any lesser known upcoming games that aren’t likely to make it onto, “Most Anticipated” lists that your look forward to?

A spiritual successor to MegaMan Battle Network. Highly excited for this.

i think Blazing Legion: Ignition is coming out this year? i’m into the like, first person shootemup thing going on, and i just looove its aesthetic. the same devs are also making a game called Killer Auto that looks equally stylish and rad.

i doubt its coming out in 2019 as it has no release date and the developer has been largely silent, but i think about the skating doom game at least once a week

With any luck, Radio the Universe

It’s been in development since 2012, and every year the bits and pieces that are posted get more and more oppressive in mood and gorgeous in aesthetic

It’s not really unknown at all at this point, but Asshole Goose Simulator (I refuse to call Untitled Goose Game by any other name) is probably my most anticipated game of 2019 right now.

No idea if it’s out this year or not but i’m looking forward to Ikenfell, a tactical RPG about students at a magic school that looks pretty good.

i’m also hoping that Chucklefish’s wizard school game, Spellbrook, comes out this year, but that seems pretty unlikely at this stage.
i am only interested in games that involve wizards and schools at this time.

Well to be fair Asshole Goose Simulator was unknown to me until your comment mentioned it, truth when I said lesser known I didn’t so much mean only games that less than a hundred people know about, so much as games that don’t have a large marketing budget nor a large pre-existing fanbase who are already hyping it up. The goose game itself honestly looks like a neat quirky comedy game that I’ll probably keep an eye on.

I am so hype for Tunic. I love my Zelda fox son.

I am skeptical of the 2019 release date, but I’m super hyped for Christine Love’s next game, Get in the Car, Loser!, for many reasons. Not least of which is the Mean Girls reference in the title.

Push Me Pull You (Asshole Goose Game devs’ last project) also seemed like a comedy game, albeit a disturbing one, but the few times I’ve had friends consent to play it for more than a few rounds, it proved to be a dynamic and unpredictable couch co-op sports game. From avid gamers to total game avoidant folks, I never felt like I was too sure of victory, nor loss. It’s a lot like Rocket League in that way, except this one is a cutesy Cronenberg-type dealie (with super sticky sound effects), which is a hard sell for most folks it turns out.

Tl;Dr I’m super excited for AGG and despite the comedic exterior, I suspect/hope this game will be deep and replayable, much more than just a joke release.

Does Ace Combat 7 count? :joy: The story in these games is so absurd and frankly any excuse to pull out my HOTAS and pretend to be a pilot (but not that much of a pilot) is welcome.

Pathway is a neat variation on the XCOM/Mario vs. Rabbids model, with an Indiana Jones setup about treasure hunters trying to beat Nazis to a mysterious artifact, fighting them in strategy battles along the way. I saw it at Day of the Devs and it looked great! Plus, I’m a sucker for treasure-hunter stories.

Another one that came onto my radar a while ago, but has progressed dramatically since, is Due Process. It’s a three-round Counter-Strike-type game which pits police against criminals, with the police tasked with defending sites and criminals tasked with getting in there and fucking shit up. The twist comes from the planning stages which precede each round, in the vein of Rainbow Six.

The maps are procgen, and in the planning stage, you and your teammates are all able to coordinate entrypoints/paths on an in-game whiteboard. Additionally, your team gets a finite equipment loadout that spans all three rounds, and using/losing a piece of equipment in the first means you won’t be able to use it in the second or third, so not only are you planning your routes, your taking risks with how you use the gear to get the wins necessary to win the set. Maybe you want to save the grenades or C4 for a later match if things go poorly, so you can just blast through the exterior wall to get into the safe? Maybe you’re reckless and want to fuck shit up right away? It looks awesome. If I’m being honest, though, I doubt I will find time or my friends to play this.

I was turned on to it by this Polygon video in which Justin, Griffin, Ben, and Charlie get up to their usual bullshit. Highly recommended:

I’m excited to see more Coffee Talk. It looks very cozy (and reminiscent of VA-11 Hall-A). There’s a demo available if you’re interested in giving it a try.

I’ve been following Manifold Garden’s development for years now, and it’s looking like it’s starting to wrap up which I am very excited about. Between this and Sable, I’m hoping 2019 is the year of pastel.

I also want to draw attention to The Blackout Club, a co-op procedural horror immersive sim (!!!) about some teens investigating the weird shit going on in their neighborhood. You and your kid buddies sneak around your neighborhoord, investigating break-ins and disappearances, gathering evidence with your cell phones, and avoiding the baddies.

The pedigree fucking rules: staff credits include several Bioshock games, Prey, Dishonored, Thief, plus one of the two developers at Minor Key, who made NEON STRUCT and Eldritch. I can’t fuckin wait for this one. It feels like it’s going to be a big shot in the arm to the immersive sim genre.

I really want Left Alive, the mecha-survival-metal-gear-spirit-torch-carrier thing, to be good. I haven’t seen many people talking about it. I’m trying not to get my hopes up.

Afterparty is the next game from Night School Studios (developed Oxenfree) and I’m really excited about it. There’s a good chunk of gameplay out there that they showed during E3 and it seems like they’ve fleshed out the already solid dialogue system from Oxenfree, and the entire premise surrounding the underworld being this shady, endless, demon filled party sounds great. IIRC the main plot has you finding your way to the devil so you can challenge him to a drinking contest?

I’m not sure whether this counts as a lesser anticipated game, because in IF circles, inkle (Sorcery!, 80 Days, ink (the language)) is a pretty big name, but also IF is still tiny and anyway I’ve been waiting for Heaven’s Vault for like two years I think.

While it’s not new to 2019, I’m excited for Dragon’s Dogma on Switch! While I’ve never had a chance to play it, it seems that everyone who plays (including Austin Walker) considers it a phenomenal game. I have always had a hard time playing games on PS4, but the Switch means I’ll be able to give this a shot!

In the same vein I’m excited for Final Fantasy XII on Switch as well! Another game that I’ve never played, but really want to. Maybe not the most exciting choice, but I’m anticipating it.

Let’s see, Black Future 88 for sure.

Neocab hopefully this year, maybe?

Eastshade is coming out soon!! Really want to just spend time in a pleasant world

Anodyne 2 HYPE!

NYKRA looks very interesting

And in terms of AAA - Anthem, Division 2, Control (super intrigued by it).

EDIT: Huh, this year might actually be really good! Oh and also another vote for Manifold Garden.