Are there many blind* gamers on this forum?

Lately, when uploading an image on this forum, I’ve started to try to remember to caption the image so that the pictures are more accessible to screen-readers.

But I also began to think: being the video games are primarily visual, I’m kind of curious how many members of this forum have visual impairments!

If you happen to have, or know people who have visual impairments, and play games, what is your/their experience with games like? (I’m including all kinds of games, not just video games!) What games are most accessible, or least accessible? If you play any audio games, do you recommend any in particular? What are good accessibility options, and what can we do to improve accessibility?

P.S. I say blind-asterisk because I’m also curious about non-legally blind players as well!

A couple years ago Rock Paper Shotgun published this fantastic article about blind gamers who play ASCII roguelikes through screen-readers. To be clear, that means listening to a screen reader rattle off hundreds of individual characters and forming a picture of the screen in your head, the idea of which just blows my mind.

That article also links to AudioGames, a site for computer games played through sound rather than sight. It has a database of accessible games and an active forum, so it seems like a great resource.

1 Like

I know someone whose legally blind (can still make out colours and blurred vision, just can’t legally drive and so on).

In general they game on a 50" screen and play games with distinct colour pallets. For example they couldn’t play Rainbow 6 but they do enjoy playing Overwatch.

For tabletop they can play most games with the use of a magnifier. Games which rely on miniatures or very small text cause the most problems.

1 Like

While I myself am not visually impaired, I work at a school for blind and visually impaired students. I couldn’t speak for those who are completely blind, but I’ve talked to some students a little bit about video games, and some of those with visual impairments do enjoy playing, particularly games with good sound design that cues button prompts and stuff like that (for example, Mortal Kombat). Side-scrollers also seem to be generally easier (from what I’ve gathered), since they don’t have to worry about enemies coming from all angles or what direction they’re heading, etc. That said, I’ve also spoken to some who still play and enjoy games like Breath of the Wild. However, in those instances, the student generally has relatively better vision than some of the other students. Regardless, they find ways to play with the help of lenses, magnifiers, or even just playing with a sibling or parent.

1 Like

Wanted to share Steve Saylor’s work, which I just came across:

https://twitter.com/stevesaylor

Steve Saylor is blind and plays video games! Super neat!

1 Like