'Art of Rally' Shows That Racing Games Need to Get Weirder

Last year, I watched John Frankenheimer's 1967 racing epic Grand Prix. It's a remarkable movie that both romanticizes and documents an era of racing that was unconscionably dangerous to drivers and spectators, but was also beautiful and exciting in a way that is very different from modern racing. The movie certainly finds something ghoulish about the culture surrounding racing at the time, and posits that drivers of the era must have been raging narcissists who would rather die trapped in a burning race car than go to therapy. But it also shows how different the race courses were, how each one had a distinct identity, and how drivers had to pilot crude, dangerous machines through these labyrinths with almost no margin for error. It was incredible stuff, and the very features that made it remarkable were also the ones that helped make it so deadly.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/epdw47/art-of-rally-fun-selektor-nostalgia-realism-impessionism

Yes! Finally Art of Rally is getting some love. It was one of my favorite games from last year, and my appreciation for it has grown more as Dirt 5 abandoned pure rally racing.

I completely agree with Rob about the game being an impressionistic take on Group B, and that is why it sticks in the mind so much. I’m not much of a real life rally fan, but this game got me down a few Wikipedia holes learning about the history of the sport. The nostalgia really is contagious. I really can’t wait for the console ports so more folks can check out AoR.

2 Likes

Absolutely adore Art of Rally. One of my favorite games of last year for sure, and I hope we get more games like it.

1 Like