'Assassin's Creed Odyssey' Is Classical Ubisoft in the Wrong Ways

Apology made:

“Reading through player responses [to] our new DLC for Legacy of the First Blade, Shadow Heritage, we want to extend an apology to players disappointed by a relationship your character partakes in,” Odyssey creative director Jonathan Dumont said in a post on the game’s forums. “The intention of this story was to explain how your character’s bloodline has a lasting impact on the Assassins, but looking through your responses it is clear that we missed the mark.”

He went on to say that players will not have to continue the romantic relationship in the next installment of the game’s DLC, saying the developers wanted players to have the option of deciding that their character choice to procreate was a utilitarian decision rather than a romantic one.

Thank you for linking this :heartpulse: !

… Gotta be real here, his reply doesn’t feel like much of an apology to me. I dunno if it’s just me, but this feels very “upsetting a few gays doesn’t bother our bottom line”?

Also, to your previous point about how the whole lineage thing is Problematic about the eugenics stuff… I couldn’t agree more… Ugh… To me, the hope was that the franchise was steering away from that thanks to the events of Origins and Layla Hassan getting the whole “don’t have to be related to someone to see their memories” schtick. And then this whole “lasting impact = bloodline” thing just double backs on that and so much more, imo?

Assassin’s Creed, the series where the pope shoots lasers at you, but they can’t use magic to handwave a baby

wait wait wait. hold the phone.

you’re tellin’ me the pope can’t shoot lasers?

EDIT: anyways. in all seriousness this is some hot garbage and is like… such a normative and frankly boring view of what legacy is? you don’t have to have kids to make an impact? i’m not surprised but i am disappointed that this game plays into the shitty implication that “your kid is special because of their bloodline.”

i don’t have fully articulated thoughts on this yet but that’s my immediate take away.

I’m seeing a lot of bi ppl come to bat for this company on tumblr and twitter and I’m like… as a bi person, it’s exhausting that ppl think Ubisoft gives one single fuck about bisexual people and our community. They don’t. This procreation horseshit isn’t them confirming Alexios or Kassandra as bi, and gay and lesbian fans who played their protagonists as a gay man or a lesbian have a right to be upset about this. Literally the entire reason you could play as either sibling is because both of their DNA is found on the spear.

Also? ALSO?

Not to rustle any jimmies, but there’s a big fucking difference between Alexios knocking some NPC up and fucking off for 9 months while Kassandra has to actually be fucking pregnant and have that baby. Dear fucking lord.

They’ve also established that Kassandra is the canon character from Odyssey, not Alexios… So it throws that quote even more out of wack.

Even if they’re dead set on the bloodline junk, just have the other sibling that you don’t play have the kid, how did this not even occur to them?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did think of it, but didn’t go with that idea out of some misguided idea that the player character has to be the parent because they’re the important one or some other ridiculous reason.

Put me in the “How did nobody catch/ have the power to stop this?” camp.

If you’re that uncompromising on a story about bloodlines maybe don’t let the protagonist be gay? Because there’s no way to do that without saying “Well they were straight for a bit and that’s the legacy they’ll be remembered for.” Not that I’m arguing against gay characters or anything, but if they absolutely have to have a child, and adoption is off the table, then the fact that players can choose to be canonically gay is a landmine that’s going to piss off everyone who chose that route when they step on it.

Also, saying that “players will not have to continue the romantic relationship in the next installment of the game’s DLC” seems like a weird cop out. Don’t like the family you were forced into? No worries, just leave them and go back to the partner you want! Having a straight romance and child is purely a utilitarian choice the writers had to make until it becomes disposable in the next episode.

The decision reeks of a game being developed by people who don’t understand cousin culture. If it’s not the direct bloodline I guess it doesn’t count?

Off topic but that entire article just blew my fucking mind because I genuinely wasn’t aware ppl lived in families where cousins were just whatever.

Lol, for real. I’ve got 30-ish cousins, plus a ton more partners/spouses who are considered cousins, and we’re all pretty close. I’m in four active group chats currently (general chat, cousins around my age, sports cousins, gamer cousins). It’s great and I feel bad for people that only consider the nuclear family to be their kin. Only downside is that weddings be expensive af to accommodate that many people.

As a white person I have all kinds of cousins even with a relatively small family. I got cousins of cousins I know fairly well, my best friends growing up were technically my mom’s cousins, I’m very close to my cousin-cousin. What’s up with other white people that they don’t know their cousins?

In my case, I grew up in an entirely different part of the country to both of my parents’ families, and I’m not particularly interested in knowing about people just because they happen to share less than 1/4 of my DNA?

In my experience, blood is a poor metric for loyalty and kinship. There’s many reasons people might not want anything to do with their family, extended or otherwise.

Yikes. I didn’t even care for this in Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, which had a bisexual (co-)lead who has a granddaughter in the WWI sections. Felt like ‘yeah, he’s our first LGBT lead… if you read the developer interviews and between the lines… but to be clear it’s him who continued the bloodline and not his straight twin sister, who has a canon romance with another assassin in-game’. And he was bi, not potentially gay.

Not sure why, if Ubisoft absolutely had to continue Alexios/Kassandra’s bloodline, it couldn’t be the non-player sibling who has a child? Like, if you play Kassandra, Alexios has a kid.

An update:

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s “ Shadow Heritage” expansion will get changes to its story and cinematics after all, following a controversy in which the protagonist character was hard-wired into a heterosexual relationship that conceived a child, despite the earlier story choices some players could make taking them into same-sex romances.

A Ubisoft community manager said that Ubisoft Quebec is making changes to a cutscene and dialogue in Shadow Heritage “to better reflect the nature of the relationship for players selecting a non-romantic storyline.” The changes and a renamed trophy/achievement some found insensitive and inconsistent with their character will be implemented in a future patch.

“We’ve also been carefully looking at the next episode, Bloodline, to ensure the paths that players experience mirror the choices they make in game,” the community manager wrote this afternoon.

I think it’s strange they worded wanting to be gay in the game as a, ‘non-romantic storyline.’

Agreeeeeeeeed :eyes: . God, I’m so done with Ubisoft.

It definitely reads as if the option is going to be either “yes, I’ll have your baby, but only because of PLOT” or “yes, I’ll have your baby because I love you so much.”

That’s not much better.

I really enjoyed the game and thought it only began to falter towards the endings which were pandering in so many ways that it felt disjointed and ludicrous. To then complete Episode 2 of the Legacy DLC and find that they railroad the decision making to ensure you have a child is wild. I’m also fuming because my Kassandra is bi but is definitely not hooking up with such a wet blanket as Natakas.