'Assassin's Creed Valhalla' Is Obsessed with Story, and Its Deceptions

Postscript is Cameron Kunzelman's column about endings, apocalypses, deaths, bosses, and all sorts of other finalities.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wx8znm/assassins-creed-valhalla-is-obsessed-with-story-and-its-deceptions

And then in the actual ending of the entire game,

It flips off its story by having the antagonist trick Layla into dying then taking control of the Animus, becoming the new player character and looting Eivor’s memories to find out all her secrets against her will. Someone who knew her, betrayed her, and was defeated by her ultimately wins and gets to look directly inside her head.

It’s a gross violation of the story that was previously being told in the game and made me stop playing, and probably not play any further Assassins Creed games.

1 Like

Is that the end, like, end? There’s no taking back control of anything?

That sounds uncomfortable as hell to play through and is making me reconsider buying it :grimacing:

Not going to lie, this article has made me more interested in playing the game. I’ll take an AC that’s a confused mess, but at least makes an attempt at using its setting over an AC that’s a confused mess, but does not care at all. This was a large part of the initial attraction to AC games for me.

Guess I’ll either wait until I find a sale cheap enough I’m willing to buy the game or I’ll eventually use some Assassin’s Creed 4:Black Flag magic on it.

Correct.

Basim is the new modern day protagonist, Layla is dead/trapped in a computer.

It’s real good up til that point but those last two hours ruined the entire experience for me.