Baked potatoes, do you eat the skin?

If it has tons of butter and sour cream I’ll probably eat whatever.

If its the one I’m thinking of, it closed 4 or 5 years ago as the couple who owned it retired. I heard that on BBC Radio 2 which is wild in itself. Used to go in once or twice a year with my dad on the way to the Orkney Islands for a summer holiday, and I think the second or third year the owner remembered us. A couple of years later I did a stint flyering for the fringe festival and went in a lot. That place was good!

(also, if it is not the place that closed please tell because man I would love some good baked potatoes!)

I’ll find out next week and post back!

pan fried potatoes (with skin) and some paprika, garlic, and oregano are very :chefkiss:

The skin is easily the best part of a baked potato. The innard is flavorless filler. There’s a reason bars serve potato skins and not potato insides.

I think the most important thing is in how you cook them. DO NOT WRAP YOUR POTATOES IN FOIL. It just traps moisture right against the skin, which is exactly the opposite of what you want. Give that potato a nice olive oil rundown, sprinkle on some coarse salt and pepper, and put that bad boy right on the oven rack - or better yet, over some indirect heat on a grill (although you might want to cut them in half first if you’re going the grill route).

I can already hear the wailing and gnashing. “Oh, but the outside is going to get overdone that way.” Baloney. There is no such thing as an overdone baked potato. “Overdone” just means you’ve increased the skin-to-insides ratio, which is an unequivocal positive.

eta: the “potatoes are empty calories” conventional wisdom that I grew up with has been pretty thoroughly debunked, as has the “all the nutrition is in the skin” CW. To get all those good vitamin c, potassium, etc. health benefits, you really have to eat it all.

I agree with your method, just don’t forget to perforate it first. No one wants hot potato insides splattering their oven.

I always did wrap it in foil but now I live with my boyfriend and he does not do that and my god. I’ve been living a shadow of a life until now.

Right?!?! I always wrapped mine in foil until I met my s.o. and she was completely flabbergasted.

It’s also one of the few times in life where it’s socially acceptable to just be a little stabby.

Wash them, dry them and then give them a good scrub with a nail brush to roughen up the skin for even better crispy-ness mmm

I think this shop is near a shot in the latest Avengers film.

Pro-est tip: Make meatloaf and baked potatoes, eat some meatloaf and the insides of the potatoes, then take the rest of that meatloaf and put it in the potato skins and eat those little bad boy sandwiches.

Huh, maybe the one I heard about is a different one - that sure looks like the same place! Thank you for this bit of good news :slight_smile:

Well, I know where I’m going for lunch today!

I’d have joined you again if I wasn’t already eating!