Barkley 2 is Dead (Sorry, True Doom Murderheads)

welp

tl;dr: Turns out the management of Barkley 2, the sequel to the classic vidcon Barkley’s Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, that managed to have a successful kickstarter, was very very bad. There was no actual leadership, the dev team changed constantly, everyone just did whatever they felt like, the money was used extremely poorly and ran out fairly fast while using promise of percentage payout to keep people on, and the majority of the game was just done by the original three guys. They’re now broken apart, and while one of them is trying to replace the lost devs, they’ll probably have to rebuild everything because the people who did the work aren’t there not to explain how to work with the project anymore.

We all thought we would finally have our game for true doom murderheads, not just games for trend, games for stoner, or games for corporate attitude. Yet here we are.

We’ll have to look elsewhere for the game we seek, fellow true doom murderheads.

This just keeps aging worse and worse, impressive.

1 Like

They were for corporate attitude the whole time…

Well…

…this is a hell of a thing to hear about for the very first time.

Not unexpected at this point but still, RIP to the Magical Realms of Tir na nOg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

4 Likes

Wild to think this is one of those games to add to the list of “games I played a demo of that never actually ended up coming out”

bhroom has taken to the Tales of Games Twitter to claim the game isn’t dead, just on life support, limping along with only two people actively working on it right now (them and a coder).

The question is how much this matters given a lot of the exciting names attached to this thing aren’t there anymore. Technically their work is probably still in the game, and I’ve heard whispers on the wind that what they were attempting was definitely ambitious.

Hopefully at least something comes out. bhroom is saying they “owe everyone a demo.” So maybe we can look forward to that.

1 Like

Worth noting about that the one guy left is also the one of the founders who didn’t work on the first game.

Multiple of the ex-devs have come out to trash how the company was run on the SomethingAwful forums. There’s a decent summary on Resetera of it if you’re like me and don’t want to skim through a SA thread looking for details. Most if it is in that original tweet but there’s a few additional posts, one from a different dev that is quite long. It sounds like it was all a bit of a mess.

Yeah, this thing is dead, and if anything comes out, it won’t be a true game for true doom murderheads as promised. Everything was handled wrong because these internet chuckleheads couldn’t all agree to actually treat a project this ambitious with a professional mindset. Like, good stoner comedies don’t happen because everyone making it was high, but because enough people were sober to structure good jokes. These false doom murderheads didn’t understand this, and their vidcon suffered for it.

Shut Up and Jam Gaiden was the game that got me back into watching the NBA. It traded so well on the larger-than-life personalities that make professional ball so compelling. Real bummer to see that the series was mismanaged to such an extent.

In any case, if anyone here is reading this and haven’t played it already, I wholeheartedly recommend giving SU&JG a shot. It’s free and is a perfect fusion of 90s JRPG tropes with NBA culture.

1 Like

Just be warned the game is fairly old and was made by SA regulars.

I found it really funny, but some stuff has not aged well (like Ghost Dad) and some stuff wasn’t really a good idea to begin with (Juwanna Mann). But the furry sections? Incredible. I also have to bring up that all the save points spit out a rambling text explosion they just took from blowhards on the SA forums about why all Japanese vidcons are inherently more sophisticated than western vidcons.

Oh yea, I guess I forgot about the problematic ish in it. It’s admittedly been like a decade since I played the game. Still, like you say, it has some fantastic moments if you’re willing to overlook some stuff.

aw man, there go my ten bucks that I forgot about

2 Likes

This game was one of the only two things I ever backed on Kickstarter (the other being Broken Age) and while I had honestly pretty much forgotten about it, it is still a major bummer to hear its in this sorry state.

I wonder if there will ever truly be a game for true doom-murderheads…