Best Actual Play Podcasts?

@glenatron @Twig I actually did think of Numenera a while ago and googled about for a podcast but the one I found (can’t remember the name) wasn’t very good. There was very little characterisation and everybody complained all the time lol. I will check out the Dark Sun podcast tho. Unfortunately, none of my friends are into the geeky stuff I am so I know nobody who has even played Morrowind let alone into tabletop RPG’s lol.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Film Reroll crew yet. They run GRUPS and play out various film plots, and use the dice mechanics (And the occasional player unfamiliarity with the movie) to take that plot in unanticipated new directions. They have ran movies such as Frozen, Speed, Holloween, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, Homeward Bound, and more!

If I ever find a good one, I’ll bring it up in here. Sob, sob.

James D’Amato of One Shot/Campaign sums up why I love NeoScum so much in a single tweet:

That sounds dumb and fun.

I can definitely second the Campaign podcast. It is consistently funny, and well produced. I’d also suggest Wizard on the Wynd or How We Roll Podcast if you looking for drama and story. Wizard on the Wynd are currently playing D&D 5e but in a homebrew setting, there is also some world building stuff that’s been done in a dramatic manner. How We Roll focuses on Call of Cthulhu, but they are currently running Curse of Stradh. Both have great production.

I tried NeoScum, gave it the entire first episode but I just can’t get into the humour. I am going to sound aloof but an hour of role play that ends up with punching a guy in the balls, which had been proceeded by a burping contest, just isn’t for me. Unless I am missing something fundamental, which is quite possible.

I will try one of the other sets suggested in here. Now all my sports podcasts have finished for the summer I need a podcast fix!

Judging by the general comments in this thread this may not last, but I started The Adventure Zone about a week ago and am currently on episode nine and finding it an awful lot of fun.

I think because of the length of its run everyone has a point where they burn out a little bit.

I also think it will play better if you’re coming at it divorced from all the in-the-minute fan drama.

Though I had my beefs with it for a while, the last episode was really great and a good payoff for years of loyalty.

Hope you enjoy it!

I’ve listened to much longer actual plays without getting burned out - Six Feats Under, which I mentioned up-thread, had a 13th Age campaign that ran for 89 episodes, each one between 2 and 4 hours, and I just got more into that as it went on. The Adventure Zone I’ve gotten burned out on several times, largely I think because I’m coming at it from the perspective of someone who plays RPGs and as the show gets more and more story- instead of comedy-based it becomes more and more clear that Griffin is extremely railroady as fuck. If you can ignore that it’s pretty good, though.

I enjoy the Adventure Zone but the sheer amount of self-referential stuff here at the end where every character or event that has shown up at any point previously has to pop up again really gets in the way of the story for me.

I think this is the perfect way for me to listen to it, in the fact that all the arc is available to me immediately. I am struggling with Friends ATT currently simply because of the weekly structure (then split into two different arcs so some characters I don’t hear from for almost a month) and my memory is awful. I have just finished the murder on the train part of Adventure Zone and because I could just do one after the other within a week I just felt much more invested in everything.

It has really surprised me how much I am enjoying it. I bounced hard off NeoScum, I like Friends but feel I am listening a bit out of habit more than anything, but this I am really liking. It does sound like it is going to change and maybe I will drop off, but the first 18 or so episodes have been great for me.

I have enjoyed the sneak attack podcast a lot:

The podcast is well produced, funny, and the story is engaging.

I’m a big fan of Dice Funk. It’s a D&D podcast that’s currently on its third season/campaign. Austin Yorski, the current DM, allows for a lot of player freedom and flexible storytelling, to the point where barely any of the campaign is planned beforehand…which may sound like a bad idea, but it’s turned out really well so far. It tends to go at a fast pace and never really gets bogged down in game mechanics. I’ve found all of the people involved to be cool/fun/funny/etc. Also 2 of the current players are queer women, so, that’s a plus, for, me., The current season is good to start on, but if you wanted something to binge, the second season would be good as well. Not that the first season isn’t worth checking out, the campaign is still really good, but the production quality wasn’t quite as good and there was a different DM. Since Austin is going to be the DM for the foreseeable future, you’d have a better idea what to expect from the show starting after the first season. <3

She’s a Super Geek mixes one-shots with some longer arcs. Love hearing a woman GM. Past games have included Lasers & Feelings, One Last Job, Fate Accelerated (FAE), and So You’re Becoming a Dragon (from this year’s 200 word RPG contest).

This sounds interesting, I’ve been looking for someone who plays Fate in a way I enjoy listening to and haven’t had a lot of luck.

I mentioned it in the podcast recommendation thread, but here we go again. One of my favorite actual play podcasts is Big Gay Nerds. It’s an LGBT-focused actual play podcast with a cast of queer friends. The ‘main’ campaign is a Monster Hearts game, but they’ve also played D&D 5e, World Wide Wrestling, and Blades in the Dark. BGN is charming and well worth a listen.

Popped by just to correct some errors:

1. RPGMP3 weren’t the first. I’m in the position of knowing this because I founded RPGMP3 and eventually handed it over Hal who now runs it. :wink:
  2. Yog-Sothoth was the first worldwide to record games and put them on the net.
  3. The same also goes for binaural recordings (and now ambisonic).
  4. All Yog-Sothoth Call of Cthulhu games are becoming free, for everyone, forever:

I had never listened to a roleplaying podcast before and somehow I stumbled onto this last year. Great stuff, got me interested in tabletop, loved the campaign and the players. Sucks that it’s stuck behind a paywall now. I’m listening to the new Nerd Poker, so far it is not holding my interest.

Yeah I wanted to like the new iteration so badly but I really think Sark was the glue that held everything together. It doesn’t help that the audio in the new series is Very Bad and I don’t really have the patience to wade through the bad stuff until it sounds OK.

Edit: Whoops, as a new user I’m limited to two links in a post. Just search the main sites for the campaign names!

Most of the podcasts I like to listen to have already been mentioned but I want to name a couple that might be worth checking out! Overall, I don’t think these any of these crews are very funny and there are only a few out-of-character jokes; so keep in that in mind!

Role-playing Public Radio (RPPR): Has been around forever and has easily the most extensive back catalogue of any actual play podcast I know. They play a ton of different games and have, in my opinion, a few adept GMs and they all take turns. They also each have their own style, so depending on what you like, you might gravitate toward some APs over others depending on who GM’ed them. They also do lean into Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green and that ilk of horror role-playing games and not much on the traditional swords-and-sorcery side. A couple of the campaigns I think are ‘high points’:

• Tribes of Tokyo: Ran by Ross (the primary GM and host of the cast). Uses Night’s Black Agents (a GUMSHOE game with lots of mechanics for investigation and action a la Bourne series). The game has bits of silly stuff in it because one of the player’s kind of didn’t ‘get’ the premise and made a bit of a ridiculous character. It feels like a techno-thriller that runs face first into vampire killing.

• God’s Teeth: Ran by Caleb (perhaps the standout GM, or at least my favorite). Runs on Delta Green, which most people are familiar with. Follows a group of operatives who are pretty much coerced into taking the worst possible ‘cases’. It deals with a lot of sensitive topics adequately and Caleb’s plots are written like fucking airport thrillers (in the best possible sense). He just hits you square in the face with something ripped from the headlines he’s turned into an adventure and somehow manages to tie this overarching thread through all of them. It never feels contrived, and the best thing about the RPPR crew is that they roll with things. They buy in so hard. It makes everything click. This is closest I’ve heard an AP get to True Detective Season One. It’s perhaps one of my favourites out of the hundreds of of hours of APs I listened to.

• Know Evil: Perhaps their most popular and Ross’s defining campaign. Ran in Eclipse Phase (a criminally complicated RPG system with an outstanding lore. I cannot imagine running actual Eclipse Phase. Thankfully, there’s an official conversion for Fate Core). It’s a sprawling tangled web of events following operatives in a covert group that protects humanity from existential threats. It’s far future but it’s not Star Trek, it’s not Star Wars, it’s not the Foundation, it’s not the Expanse. It’s dirty, radical, and in a lot of ways conscious of the problems that are likely to arise from the current paths we’re on. The characters are good. The universe is complex. Ross manages to make us care about this little group dealing with some real serious shit and at the same time hints at the sheer magnitude of everything else happening elsewhere that doesn’t involve the campaign.

• A nice thing about RPPR is that over on their non-actual play feed they also do Post-Morterms for the main campaigns where the GMs talk round-table with the rest of the playgroup about where they got their ideas from, what worked, what didn’t, etc. It’s a nice learning exercise.

• Warning: Sometimes they deal with darker themes and topics, so that might not be for everyone. I find they know when to draw a veil for the most part and don’t engage much in inappropriate humor regarding these things. They, themselves, are not a diverse group (mostly white males) but they do seem to genuinely try to explore new identities through their characters in a manner that is respectful (again, in my opinion, as a member of minority group).

The Jank Cast: I don’t listen much to this podcast anymore but I had to recommend two of their campaigns. Both ran in Apocalypse World. I think the Jank group was tailor-made to run AW, or AW was tailor-made for them. They are a diverse group (women and non-heterosexual people are on the cast) and they like to explore identity and everything that means a lot. Again, they touch on darker things but I think they’re even better at veiling than RPPR and most other podcasts I’ve listened to. Anyway:

• Leviathan: Ran in AW. Technically, it starts on ep. 3 (they didn’t record before them) but you get to learn about the words through the AP rather than being there for character creation and world creation. This campaign is a wonderful example of what happens when you take a few well-realized characters put them in close quarters and just let them go. The plot never gets too big. The locations are never too sprawling. The characters are everything and even the NPCs, who sometimes end up becoming PCs, become meaningful and worthwhile caring about. I sometimes hated the PCs but I never disliked the players. The PCs always behaved in ways that followed from who they were. Nothing felt contrived. Every action felt believable. It’s really a wonderful listen.

• Black Diamond: Ran in AW. A ‘follow-up’ to Leviathan that takes place many years later and can be a stand-alone listen if you like. The few main characters who show up are drastically different and the ensuing story is as well. It didn’t feel as special as Leviathan did for me but it felt like a worthy sequel for those characters. It’s a slower burn. It has, in my opinion, a better realized setting. It seems to try things with AW that Leviathan didn’t.

I hope if anyone checks those out, they find something they like in there!