Best Boss Battle Theme Contest - Nominations

Gonna submit 2 from Dark Souls 3 since I’m playing it for the 15th odd time right now and it’s fresh in my mind:
Iudex Gundyr, the full version, not the shortened version from the OST, and Dragonslayer Armor(Also the best Boss in the series, fuckn’ @ me).

Putting my Manditory Metal Gear Rising vote to A Stranger I Remain, but again not the OST version, which is even more egregeously cut short than Gundyr’s theme is. For some reason the full version used in the game is still labeled as a Beta version wherever you go.

I gotta put down a vote or two for something from the Sonic series, but DAMN that’s a tough call. I recon I’ll go for good old Live and Learn, but also I’ll throw down It Has Come To This from Sonic and the Secret Rings. Just 'cos not enough people know that game has an absolutely KILLER soundtrack.

Also No Way Back ~Out of my Way~, the version of God Eater’s theme used for the major battles. God Eater does that thing where there’s one key track that gets remixed for different situations basically everywhere all through the series and the fact that I’m not sick of No Way Back after playing through all of the first one and about half(maybe?) of the second says a lot. God Eater is The Shit, yo.

Metal Gear has a good few bangers, Snake Eater being the obvious pick. But shoutout to Koi No Yokushiryoku, yo. If only because Paz is a god damn hero.

I’ll probably be back with more of The Good Shit when it comes to me.

Oh yes this is going to be fantastic. My nominations (in no particular order):

Undertale - Heartache
I also love ASGORE, and Megalovania, and Battle Against a True Hero, but Undertale’s first boss theme might still be my favorite. It’s understated in a way that fits its moment, when you still don’t quite understand the stakes of the journey you’re about to play, and it’s filled with a kind of solemnity and quiet power.

Shovel Knight - The Defender
This theme is great for two reasons: 1) it comes at an absolutely off-the-wall moment in the game, when you rematch a previous boss except now that boss can fly and summon meteors and shoot massive fireballs in an incredibly satisfying and well-tuned fight, and 2) it’s a partially-remixed, more frenetic version of the theme for the game’s first level, and it really carries this sense of progression and knowledge of how far you’ve come as a player since them.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky - Primal Dialga
This one is just so different from typical final boss themes—it’s still driven and climactic but the the instruments the composers chose also give it this sense of peace and clarity that really fit the end of this (extremely underrated) game. One of my fondest gaming memories is the first time I played this fight, and the first time I heard this song.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Beast Ganon, Phase 1
As you can probably tell, I’m a sucker for leitmotifs and callbacks, so when the true final boss of Breath of the Wild ended up being a remix of the game’s absolutely incredible main theme mixed in with signature riffs or music from about four or five previous Zeldas (Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, among others), I dissolved into a puddle of my own happy tears.

Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal - Champion’s Theme/Red’s Theme
Replaying Silver on my 3DS for the first time in probably a decade has made me remember just how good that generation’s music was, and this piece is the capstone. That moment of finally finding Red at the top of Mt. Silver and hearing that moment of total silence before this theme started playing easily ranks as one of my favorite moments in a series I’ve poured something like two or three thousand hours into.

Aaah I forgot that In Circles counts as a boss theme! Definitely one of the most powerful tracks in that game. Tough call for me between that and The Spine (which also kinda counts?! Supergiant is… so good… Darren Korb <3)

I was wondering where all of the Undertale nominations were. I didn’t have any myself because I was sure like 5 songs would be shoe-ins.

The amusing thing about Never to Return is that technically, you, the player, are playing as the boss, the final trial of the hopefuls who have fought so hard just to make it to Mount Alodiel…

Maybe “amusing” is the wrong word? It makes me screw up my face and go “heh” and shake my head slightly. Whatever that feeling is called.

The expanding cosmic brain moment where I hadn’t considered that and just added a whole 'nother level to my Pyre love?

Klonoa - Baladium’s Drive

Touhou Imperishable Night - Deaf to all but the Song

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure: To Make the End of Digging (Blackbean)

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure: Soaring Through the Melancholy Skies (Tokoron first phase) also known as “soaring through the azure sadness” but this title’s better

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen: Coils of Light (Daimon first form)

Ys Origin: Scars of the Divine Wing (some dumbass bug)

I think The Spine is a level theme and not the actual theme used during The Spine boss process? But nonetheless The Spine is a brilliant track.

Tor from Iji is still my favourite final boss theme.

The Decisive Battle from Final Fantasy V. Those drums are amazing.

Melissan Battle from Baldur’s Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. It’s a fairly short track, but considering that the fight itself is split up into several different phases with long breaks in between I think it does a pretty good job at getting you pumped for the final battle of this incredibly long series of games.

Opression from Cave Story. I love Boss Tracks that want me shout at my monitor while the fight is about to start.

Weight of the World from NieR: Automata

Only need one nomination.

I don’t know if it technically counts as a boss, But I would like to humbly nominate:

Def Jam: Fight For NY - The fight against Sticky Fingaz inside the burning tire factory set to the tunes of “Man Up” By Sticky Fingaz (Warning: Explicit lyrics)

You’ve been taking this assholes shit all game. He never liked you, you never liked him. He turned on your boss and your friends in order to come work for Snoop Dogg, he kidnapped your girlfriend, and kicked the shit out of you. Now, you finally get payback. Sticky decides to set fire to the tire factory he’s hiding in, in order to stop you from escaping so he can finally fight you. This all happens with one of the most disgusting hip-hop beats I’ve ever heard in my life and it fits the scene perfectly.

Also: The final fight against frieza in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai

So many delicious guitar solos everywhere <3

Nier: Automata - A Beautiful Song
I love the sweeping, operatic nature of this song, and it’s fitting for such a tragic boss.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengence - I’m My Own Master Now
I wish I had more to say about this song, but honestly, I like Blade Wolf and I like the gif of Big Dog using lyrics from this song.

Final Fantasy VI - Dancing Mad
Final Fantasy VI is one of my favorite games from my childhood and the baroque style of the song combined with a lot of the Renaissance imagery used for Kefka made this final fight really memorable. Also this is apparently the longest final boss fight song in any of the Final Fantasy games?

Crypt of the Necrodancer - Konga Conga Kappa (King Conga) and Absolutetion (Golden Lute)
Of the boss themes from Necrodancer, these two stand out the most in my mind. I love the rhythm in Konga Conga Kappa, and Absolutetion is such a great weighty song.

I have always really loved The Oracle from the Thanatos fight in Secret of Mana.

i thought of a 5th one:
Sonic Generations (3DS version): Big Arm (Big Arm)

How much longer should nominations stay open?

Battle of the Four Fiends, Final Fantasy 4
The Other Promise, Kingdom Hearts 2
Final Battle, Spirit Tracks
I’m blanking on any more ones so I might get back to you if nominations are still open then.

1. Gone Guru by Lifeseeker (Dead Rising - Convicts fight)
    Dead Rising is a game about expecting the unexpected and being prepared for anything. Nothing prepares you for the convicts in the military jeep and this accompanying groove.

2. Boss 1 by Eirik Suhrke (Spelunky - Olmec)
    I have never experienced a more complex mixture of frustration and accomplishment in a game than when I heard this music for the first time and died right just before killing Olmec. While most of Spelunky’s music is chilled out jazz fit for a boat adventure, this track finally matches the tense nerves of a nigh-successful Spelunky run.

That’s really all all I have. I tend to make my own soundtracks for games after I play with sound for a while and honestly I don’t play that many games with real boss fights in them. The ones I do play, I usually find a track outside of the boss fight that I like the most i.e. Route 1 from Pokemon Red/Blue is way better than any gym leader or rival theme imo.

Final Battle from Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen (my first exposure to this amazing theme):

Magus Battle from Chrono Trigger:

The Marvelous Duo (Popple Battle Music) from Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga:

Four Emperors (Dreadful Fight) from Final Fantasy 4 DS:

Waterblight Ganon from Zelda: Breath of the Wild:

okay since that’s not happening here are 5 nominations for real

Bloodborne - Ludwig the Accursed

Furi - Make This Right

NieR: Automata - Weight of the World

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - It Has to Be This Way

Dark Souls III - Abyss Watchers