Best Boss Fight Theme Contest FINAL RESULTS

Both Undertale songs deserved to win there, even with my love of Chrono Trigger’s OST.

With it now down to the Top 8, I’m hoping the final two are… Rivers in the Desert vs. Hopes & Dreams + Save the World, with Hopes & Dreams winning it all.

Though I would be fine if Megalovania beat Hopes & Dreams and took the crown too.

I’ll be amazed if Megalovania loses, honestly.

Yeah, pretty much.

Quarterfinals Day 1

Baile Con La Mariposa (Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!) vs Rivers in the Desert (Persona 5)

• Baile Con La Mariposa (Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!)
  • Rivers in the Desert (Persona 5)

0 voters

Day 1 Results

Rivers in the Desert (Persona 5) over Baile Con La Mariposa (Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!), 15-8

Day 2

Weight of the World (Nier: Automata) vs The Unsung War (Ace Combat 5)

• Weigh of the World (Nier: Automata)
  • The Unsung War (Ace Combat 5)

0 voters

Day 2 Results

Weight of the World (Nier: Automata) over The Unsung War (Ace Combat 5) 15-7

Day 3

Bergentrückung + ASGORE (Undertale) vs Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower (Bloodborne)

• Bergentrückung + ASGORE (Undertale)
  • Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower (Bloodborne)

0 voters

Day 3 Results

Bergentrückung + ASGORE (Undertale) over Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower (Bloodborne) 14-11

Day 4

Hopes and Dreams + Save the World (Undertale) vs Megalovania (Undertale)

• Hopes and Dreams + Save the World (Undertale)
  • Megalovania (Undertale)

0 voters

Day 4 Results

Hopes and Dreams + Save the World (Undertale) over Megalovania (Undertale) 17-10

Semifinals Day 1

Rivers in the Desert (Persona 5) vs Weight of the World (Nier: Automata)

• Rivers in the Desert (Persona 5)
  • Weight of the World (Nier: Automata)

0 voters

Wow. Hopes & Dreams actually beat Megalovania.

I mean, it’s the correct choice, but I’m still shocked by it.

Day 1 Results

Weight of the World (Nier: Automata) over Rivers in the Desert (Persona 5) 15-9

Semifinals Day 2

Bergentrückung + ASGORE (Undertale) vs Hopes and Dreams + Save the World (Undertale)

• Bergentrückung + ASGORE (Undertale)

0 voters

Day 2 Results

Hopes and Dreams + Save the World (Undertale) over Bergentrückung + ASGORE (Undertale) 16-9

GRAND FINALS

Weight of the World (Nier: Automata) vs Hopes and Dreams + Save the World (Undertale)

• Weight of the World (Nier: Automata)

0 voters

It’s so interesting (but maybe not surprising) that these two picks were the ones to climb to the top. They’re both songs that hit at the exact emotional climax and tonally summarize all of their respective game’s themes. As much as I love the other contenders (Xenoblade’s uplifting You Will Know Our Names, Chrono Trigger’s ominous Last Battle, etc), it’s hard to imagine a more fitting finale.

I missed most of this thread, but Dancing Mad is maybe the one other contender that I think would come close. That song structurally mirrors the arc of FF6’s antagonist and utilizes leitmotifs with impressive precision. Ages ago there was a really good breakdown on Destructoid, if anyone’s interested.

Final results:

Weight of the World (Nier: Automata) over Hopes and Dreams + Save the World (Undertale), 13-12

Weight of the World is the best boss fight theme ever according to this forum.

I think it’s pretty easy to see that I got pretty burned out on this a good ways through. This ended up being more work than I expected. It also didn’t help that all of my nominations were eliminated early.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

I would just like to thank you for sticking through it even if you burned out on it quickly. It was a lot of fun!

photofunky

I feel like, already, we need to do this again - just so I can nominate and vote Confronting Myself from Celeste to the top.

Yes, thanks! It was interesting to see it play out, even if the inevitability of Waypoint loving Nier triumphed in the end.

As expected, congratulations to EXEC_SPILIAwait what?