Best Boss Fight Theme Contest Round 4 Day 4

I had a weird relapse that ended up being worse than the initial illness, so that’s why this is delayed.

Day 15 Results

Moonstruck Blossom (Kirby Triple Deluxe) over Gym Leader Battle (Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow), 14-11
Megalovania (Undertale) over The Dark Colossus Destroys All (Nier), 19-6
The Fall of the Final Enemy (Etrian Odyssey 4) over Boss (Golden Sun: The Lost Age), 16-7
In Circles (Transistor) over Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin (Dark Souls), 23-1

Day 16 Matches

Primal Dialga (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky) vs. The Final Battle (Chrono Trigger)

Boss 1 - Olmec (Spelunky) vs. Konga Conga Kappa (Crypt of the Necrodancer)

Dragon Battle (Dragon’s Dogma) vs. The Azure Arbitrator (Trails of Azure)

Vergil Battle 2 (Devil May Cry 3) vs. Bowser Battle (Super Mario Galaxy)

Vote here!

This is the last day of round one. I’m probably gonna do a loser’s bracket once the winner of the main bracket is determined. I’m open to other suggestions though.

Wow, I’m glad In Circles won, but I never would have expected it to be an absolute landslide.

Kinda surprised that there isn’t more Crypt Of The Necrodancer music on here, that game is just teeming with slick electro bangers and boss tunes.

Sorry, still fighting off the last of this nightmare cold. Gonna take a few days break before starting Round 2.

Day 16 Results

The Final Battle (Chrono Trigger) over Primal Dialga (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky), 12-6
Konga Conga Kappa (Crypt of the Necrodancer) over Boss 1 - Olmec (Spelunky), 17-1
Dragon Battle (Dragon’s Dogma) over The Azure Arbitrator (Trails of Azure), 8-6
Bowser Battle (Super Mario Galaxy) over Vergil Battle 2 (Devil May Cry 3), 10-6

Round 2 will start on Friday!

Round 2!

Day 1 Matches

Champion Red & Blue Battle (Pokemon Sun/Moon) vs Rockin’ On (Mega Man ZX)

Baile Con La Mariposa (Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!) vs J-E-N-O-V-A (Final Fantasy VII)

Absolutetion (Crypt of the Necrodancer) vs Ramuh ~ Thunder Rolls (Final Fantasy XIV)

Soaring Through the Melancholy Skies (Gurumin:A Monstrous Adventure) vs Big Arm (Sonic Generations 3DS)

Vote here!

Gurumin was tempting, but all the Sonic Generations boss remixes are masterclass.

2 of my nominations (gurumin and sonic) fighting each other and i even miss the cold comfort of it being match 69, shakin my damn head…

Day 1 Results

Champion Red & Blue Battle (Pokemon Sun/Moon) over Rockin’ On (Mega Man ZX) 9-4
Baile Con La Mariposa (Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!) over J-E-N-O-V-A (Final Fantasy VII) 8-4
Absolutetion (Crypt of the Necrodancer) over Ramuh ~ Thunder Rolls (Final Fantasy XIV) 9-4
Soaring Through the Melancholy Skies (Gurumin:A Monstrous Adventure) over Big Arm (Sonic Generations 3DS) 7-5

Every song I wanted to win that day lost.

Day 2 Matches

Make This Right (Furi) vs Unite, Descent (Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles)

Saber’s Edge (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Abyss Watchers (Dark Souls 3)

Rivers in the Desert (Persona 5) vs Death by Glamour (Undertale)

Battle B2 (Shin Megami Tensei IV) vs Final Battle (Final Fantasy Adventure)

Vote here!

Rivers in the Desert vs Death by Glamour might be the most cutthroat matchup yet.

Have to go with Rivers… barely tho.

Day 2 Results

Make This Right (Furi) over Unite, Descent (Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles) 8-5
Abyss Watchers (Dark Souls 3) over Saber’s Edge (Final Fantasy XIII) 9-7
Rivers in the Desert (Persona 5) over Death by Glamour (Undertale) 9-7
Battle B2 (Shin Megami Tensei IV) over Final Battle (Final Fantasy Adventure) 11-4

I guess round 2 is the one where all my picks get eliminated.

Day 3 Matches

Weight of the World (Nier: Automata) vs Last Stand (FTL)

The First Hunter (Bloodborne) vs Tridimensional Cannon: DDD (Kirby: Planet Robobot)

The Final Song ~ Black Song, White Scales (Drakengard 3) vs Ludwig, the Accursed & The Holy Blade (Bloodborne)

A Beautiful Song (Nier: Automata) vs The Stains of Time (Metal Gear Rising)

Vote here!

man its starting to heat up

oh jeez, there are some tough matchups in this one, huh?

Not my nomination, but I wanna at least throw it out there that the context of the Ludwig fight is REALLY IMPORTANT for its theme and that absolutely y’all should skip to 3:30 in the provided track link to get the full effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF3LooXSxaI

Adding onto this, the context is important for the shift in the song about halfway through.

Ah, you were at my side, all along. My true mentor, my guiding moonlight.

Oh god I want to vote Automata in that last match up, but Stains of Time is too good.

Much like @Peregrin mentioned with Ludwig’s fight, I feel context is necessary for every Metal Gear Rising song. The way each boss fight flows from an instrumental track into a vocal track will always give me chills (skip to ~5:00 if you want to know what I’m talking about).

(Spoilers ahoy)

Day 3 Results

Weight of the World (Nier: Automata) over Last Stand (FTL) 15-4
The First Hunter (Bloodborne) over Tridimensional Cannon: DDD (Kirby: Planet Robobot) 11-8
The Final Song (Drakengard 3) over Ludwig, the Accursed & The Holy Blade (Bloodborne) 12-7
A Beautiful Song (Nier: Automata) over The Stains of Time (Metal Gear Rising) 11-7

Day 4 Matches

The Unsung War (Ace Combat 5) vs Scars of the Divine Wing (Ys Origin)

The Defender (Shovel Night) vs Final Rival Battle (Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow)

You Will Know Our Names (Xenoblade Chronicles) vs Force Your Way (Final Fantasy VIII)

The Decisive Battle (Final Fantasy V) vs Coils of Light (Dragon’s Dogma)

Vote here!

Not my nomination but that FTL song was an underdog I was really rooting for. Brutal match-ups.

whole lot of bad decisions going on in round 2