Best Boss Fight Theme Contest Round 4 Day 4

Decisive Battle is one of the few classic FF boss themes I genuinely like, but, well, Coils of Light.

Day 4 Results

The Unsung War (Ace Combat 5) over Scars of the Divine Wing (Ys Origin) 8-4
The Defender (Shovel Night) over Final Rival Battle (Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow) 6-5
You Will Know Our Names (Xenoblade Chronicles) over Force Your Way (Final Fantasy VIII) 7-4
Coils of Light (Dragon’s Dogma) over The Decisive Battle (Final Fantasy V) 8-3

Really low votals that day for some reason. Also not sure why the survey questions are being randomized sometimes. I’m not checking the “randomize question order” box.

Day 5 Matches

Bergentrückung + ASGORE (Undertale) vs Final Battle (Shadow of the Colossus)

Battle for the Umbran Throne (Bayonetta) vs EXEC_SPHILIA/ (Ar tonelico 2)

Never to Return (Pyre) vs Gwyn, Lord of Cinder (Dark Souls)

Spicy Calamari Inkantation (Splatoon 2) vs It Has to Be This Way (Metal Gear Rising)

Vote here!

Goddamn, match 83 is a brutal choice to make.

Never to Return against Gwyn, Lord of Cinder is like… final 4 material, not second round D’:

I’m actually gonna vote against Asgore here. While I adore the song, I do not think that song works as is within the Undertale soundtrack as it does when it is covered (whether that be a sophisticated orchestral arrangement or with some shit hot heavy metal guitar licks). The original just sounds messy at times and lacking punch at others.

And the Last Battle in Shadow of the Collossus is just all around great.

I vote for Bayonetta because its good and so it wins that matchup by that fact alone. I’ll back Dark Souls in this one, beautiful case, but that’s more due to me not playing Pyre (and lacking the emotional connection I will no doubt have for the song). It is a powerful moment in Dark Souls though…

And always vote MGR. Even if that Splatoon track is FIRE.

Here is the necessary context for the MGR fight. Link blurred because it’s the final boss.

I’ll make a case for the original version of ASGORE.

No arrangement plays with dynamics as well as the original version does. From the start with Bergentrückung’s simple chiptune melody, to after ASGORE breaks the Mercy button and the drums kick in and you get the frantic bass line in that brings that sense of desperation to the song, to when the song gets to the final phrase of the melody and there’s a huge swell with the choir and strings that just gives the song the gravitas it needs. And then there’s later in the song where the motif from Heartache is brought back and the song pulls back, leaving it with just the timpani and the melody.

No other arrangement plays with the dynamics as well as the original does, not even my personal favourite.

That Shadow of the Colossus song is my pick so I’m showing my bias here but I need to tell everyone that song plays over a fight against an angry, hairy skyscraper with horns that shoots missiles out of his hands. Just wanted to get that out there

I think SPHILIA is my favorite song in the tournament.

I have a feeling everyone is taking the “Final Battle” title of the Shadow of the Colossus song for granted because the song that actually plays during the final boss of Shadow of the Colossus is Demise of the Ritual (which for my money is a far better song than Final Battle).

Final Battle isn’t even used in the released version of Shadow of the Colossus, the fight it was attached to was cut.

Woah you’re completely right and that’s wild I fabricated this memory when I heard final battle? Thanks for clearing it up and also that other song is great too. Played this game once like 8 years ago so this checks out

Some of these songs are going for such different things compared to the ones against whom they are pitted!

Lot of tough decisions this time. Damn.

Wait, so the song was never in the released game?

That feels like it might be disqualification material.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

I feel Final Battle should be disqualified, yes - but ASGORE is gonna beat it anyway, so what’s the difference.

I would say to play it where it lands since this is just for fun, but the fact that it’s named Final Battle gives the impression that it’s a different song than it is. If it makes it to the next round/you do a losers’ bracket, tacking on a disclaimer that it’s not Demise of the Ritual might be helpful. Cut content is content too!

But I voted for Asgore’s Burger Truck, so what does my opinion matter :woman_shrugging::man_shrugging:

Day 5 Results

Bergentrückung + ASGORE (Undertale) over Final Battle (Shadow of the Colossus) 18-4 (welp)
Battle for the Umbran Throne (Bayonetta) over EXEC_SPHILIA/ (Ar tonelico 2) 11-9
Gwyn, Lord of Cinder (Dark Souls) over Never to Return (Pyre) 12-11
It Has to Be This Way (Metal Gear Rising) over Spicy Calamari Inkantation (Splatoon 2) 12-9

Day 6 Matches

The Other Promise (Kingdom Hearts 2) vs Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI)

Hepatica (Xenosaga Episode III) vs Battle with Magus (Chrono Trigger)

The Sun Rises (Okami) vs Lakshmi ~ Beauty’s Wicked Wiles (FinalFantasy XIV)

I’m My Own Master Now (Metal Gear Rising) vs Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower (Bloodborne)

Vote here!

Man, Pyre losing by one vote actually kind of hurts. Glad that at least one of the groovy tracks made it through though.

I’m gonna be honest, I haven’t liked a single song from Final Fantasy XIV, I’m a bit confused as to why there’s so many in this competition.

The FFXIV music is good but weirdly I wouldn’t have picked Lakshmi or Ramuh to represent it but hey it was nominated and it’s gotten fair treatment.

No way it’ll beat Okami though I figure.