Best Racing games?

Maple Valley! That’s a random and awesome favorite track. I think my favorite track was Spa, but that was added in Forza 5

Always my answer to “What game would you add the Nemesis System to?”

This video makes me realize that the couple times I tried playing Episode 1 Racer, I was definitely doing something wrong. I remember thinking it felt really sedate compared to everyone saying how fast it was.

I remember this game, it was so good. Me and my friends recently played through it all and i would 100% a game like this would be awesome with a “Nemesis System”

I have in my heart a WipEout-shaped hole. I keep hoping that one day Sony will bring the series back, but for now the Omega Collection on PS4 is the closest we’ll get.

Pretty much any Wipeout game is the best racing game in my mind, but the peak of the series was Wipeout Pure on PSP.

I came in to make this suggestion too. My favorite part is how varied and silly the roster is, particularly on the Steam/PC version. It takes full* advantage of classic Sega’s back catalog, modern Sega’s diverse portfolio, and some honestly baffling wild cards. Characters include, but are not limited to:

• Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Eggman (obviously)
  • Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
  • Alex Kidd
  • Ryo Hazuki driving an Outrun arcade machine instead of a car (Shenmue, DLC)
  • A guy in a suit driving a soccer ball themed car (Football Manager, PC only)
  • General Winter in a tank (Company of Heroes 2, PC only)
  • Danica Patrick for some reason (complete with Hot Wheels and GoDaddy sponsor logos)
  • MeeMee and AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)
  • BD Joe (Crazy Taxi)
  • Wreck-It Ralph
  • A VMU that turns into a Dreamcast controller, a car (Hornet) from Daytona USA, and a Northrop Grunman licensed F-14 Tomcat
  • A samurai dude and a Roman soldier (Shogun: Total War and Rome: Total War, respectively, PC only)
  • Spy, Pyro, and Heavy (Team Fortress 2, PC only)

*The only other additional characters I’d hope for in a hypothetical sequel would be Kiryu/Majima (Yakuza), Grimgor Ironhide (Total War: Warhammer), and/or Gabriel Angelos (WH40K Dawn of War)

Outrun 2 is one of the best driving games. Ridge Racer 4 is my favorite racing game. they’re both about hitting curves and improving your times more than sim or competitive aspects tho

oh yeah and I second All Stars Transformed. it’s just straight up one of the best kart racers ever made

Personally I want some Valkyria Chronicles characters. There are even iconic tanks and planes from the game to use.

I’m just here to fucking scream about BEETLE ADVENTURE RACING

I have a soft spot for midnight club los angeles, it was really relaxing to just drive through the city

Shift 2 is one of my favourites.

Outrun 2 and NFS Underground here! I miss those games.

Outrun 2 is lowkey the best Arcade racing game. The original Outrun is dope and is probably one of my favourite games but yo Outrun 2 is good.

Speed Freaks is the best cart racer there has ever been.

But seriously, I don’t think I’ve had as much fun with a racer than Burnout Paradise. Though Forza Horizon 4 sure did close.

There was just something about the crashes in Burnout that was so amazing. By that same metric, I really loved the latest Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, though I guess it came out 2010… The feeling of speed was amazing, the multiplayer in which you had these long ass races where the rival cops are constantly pursuing you led to some really tense moments especially towards the end of the race.

Outside of that, I think the best thing the Star Waws prequels ever gave us was the Episode 1 Pod Racer game. It’s the way the pod racers don’t feel like cars at all. Literally two engines attached to a cockpit by bendy metal lines. It’s the way your boost can set you on fire if you aren’t careful. It’s the way the John Williams score kicks into the last lap. Dying for an update here. Maybe even a movie or TV series. Plucky young human/alien travels the galaxy to participate in these death defying races.

Oh and Driver: San Francisco. I loved the way they told an actual story via this mechanic of car swapping. It was such a great idea that was used in so many different ways. It’s the unicorn of the racing genre in my opinion. Good car crashes as well…