Best three album run by an artist?

i hear you. i should note that the first album i heard from him, virgins, remains my favorite.

Are we going consecutive here because that’s kind of tough, but I’ll try.

Big Star - #1 Record :arrow_forward:️Radio City :arrow_forward:️Third/Sister Lovers
Superdrag - Regretfully Yours :arrow_forward:️ Head Trip In Every Key :arrow_forward:️ In The Valley of Dying Stars
Wilco - Being There :arrow_forward:️ Summerteeth :arrow_forward:️ Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I’ve also lost track of what the Guided By Voices chronology looks like so I’ll just say Bee Thousand :arrow_forward:️ Alien Lanes :arrow_forward:️ Isolation Drills

Fall of Efrafa’s Owsla, Elil, & Inlé aka the The Warren of Snares Trilogy. Albums based on the universe of Watership Down told through string driven doomy crust punk.

It’s fucking great to listen through the trilogy because you can hear how it grows from the mostly punk stylings of Owsla into something much more, but that core sound is always there. Also the lyrics are fucking fantastic. All of Alex C.F.'s lyrics across all of his bands (I can’t wait for the 3rd Morrow album just so I can recommend it here hahah)

We wane in remembrance, drained by our scorn. The flocks of the patriarch throttled, forlorn
We gasp with epiphany, perception unmasked. Ranks of black muslin litter our path

Empyrian empties, on our woeful malaise, engulfs and entwines our impious parade.
These are the embers, the fetid ideal, the end of our chastity, allow us to feel
Nerves remain tender, to touch makes us cry.
We see through these windows now become eyes

Honestly, I think you can put The Tragically Hip down for the best ten album run by an artist, something I can’t really say about anyone else (maybe The Pillows? As they’re basically Japan’s equivalent to The Hip? kinda? maybe?).

Anyway, all the albums up to We Are The Same (which is still good, but not on the same level) are the fuckin shit and any run in there I’d say is completely valid for this thread.

You’re entitled to that preference! I do prefer Glowing Man, but even so, I do like having all three 2-Hour-Double-Albums with 30+ Minute Tracks together with Symbols in the Center of the Cover. They have a unity to them that appeals to me when grouping. :slight_smile:

Still figuring out the reply functionality.

I’m quite like M83/Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts/Before The Dawn Heals Us by M83.

Without repeating other great trilogies people have already mentioned:

Modest Mouse - A Lonesome Crowded West/The Moon and Antarctica/Good News for People Who Love Bad News (don’t @ me either)

St. Vincent - Actor/Strange Mercy/St. Vincent

Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones/Rain Dogs/Frank’s Wild Years

also Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards is basically a trilogy

and for a local cut

Eraserheads - Ultraelectromagneticpop!/Circus/Cutterpillow

can’t think of any other Philippine act that put out such an iconic set of albums that defined a decade’s sound

I was going to suggest Hecker but couldn’t think which three album run to pick. I’ve been really into his earlier stuff recently (Radio Amor is beautifully evocative).

Haha, I wasn’t sure whether suggesting MBV would look like I was taking the piss or not. Really looking forward to whatever is percolating (and apparently due for release soon) from them

ACTUALLY
It’s Taking Tiger Mountain/Another Green World/Before and After Science

almost entirely on the basis of this song:

Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind / Talking Book / Innervisions / Fulfillingness’ First Finale

So glad you said Calculated Use and not Scurrilous. And I’m with you on Alexis too.

Anamanaguchi - Power Supply/Dawn Metropolis/Endless Fantasy (Alternatively, Dawn Metropolis/Scott Pilgrim vs the World: the Game OST/Endless Fantasy)

I don’t think I’ve ever been more disappointed in an album than Scurrilous. I was such a big fan of them one minute then they just dropped out of my life the next. I hear their new album is great, but haven’t gotten around to listening to it yet.

Also, A Calculated Use of Sound is the best album ever made by 16 year olds on a $0 budget.

As for Alexisonfire, their my favourite band and I love all of their work, but that is really the only way to arrange their work. Their first album is still their best and, even if I like it a lot, Young Cardinals/Old Crows is definitely their weakest album, even including Dog’s Blood.

Tegan and Sara - So Jealous/The Con/Sainthood
Saves the Day - Sound the Alarm/Under the Boards/Daybreak
Bon Iver - All of it, Blood Bank included.
Opeth - Blackwater Park/Deliverance & Damnation (I count it as a double album)/Ghost Reveries
RATM - RATM/Evil Empire/The Battle of Los Angeles
Paramore - All We Know Is Falling/Riot!/Brand New Eyes

Looks like someone beat me to it, but to me, Stevie Wonder owns this post…

In the 70’s, pretty much anything he touched with the TONTO synthesizer became gold:

Music of My Mind/Talking Book/Innervisions
and/or:
Innervisions/Fulfillingness’ First Finale/Songs in the Key of Life…

…just an amazing run creatively, critically, commercially…

I am 100% with you, what I always enjoyed about Kezia and Fortress was that they were very technical, but they didn’t sound like just guitar wankers, they were real riffs with direction and purpose, but then it was just aimless shredding and Rody’s piss poor lyrics, and like nah, not for me thanks. I mean, the step down from Turn Soonest to the Sea to comparing smoking to bad relationship with a woman in Hair Trigger?

I’ll be the first to defend early Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. But as far as three runs: Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!/Push the Sky Away/Skeleton Tree.

It’s been a wild and tragic ride since 2008.

Anghellic, Absolute Power, Everready (The Religion) - Tech N9ne

damn i used to LOVE this band. i remember seeing them twice when they did their final (only?) u.s. tour. elil was my shit

some personal favs:

xiu xiu - a promise, fabulous muscles, la foret

cat power - what would the community think, moon pix, the covers record

casiotone for the painfully alone - twinkle echo, etiquette, vs. children

the softies - s/t, winter pageant, holiday in rhode island

carissa’s wierd - ugly but honest, you should be at home here, songs about leaving