Best three album run by an artist?

SECONDING CARISSA’S WIERD. Songs About Leaving is easily top 5 albums for me.

If you liked FoE DEFINITELY listen to Morrow. It’s fucking incredible. Thematically it’s about post-apocalyptic tribes banding together around the remnants of languages. I’m so very obsessed with the project.

Talking Heads: The Name of this Band is Talking Heads/Speaking in Tongues/Stop Making Sense/Little Creatures/True Stories/Naked

(Legit almost didn’t include Speaking in Tongues in this because every song off of it is done way better in Stop Making Sense. Also I will forever be salty that Bryne killed the band before we could get live versions of songs off of Little Creatures and Naked. A live version of Big Daddy would have killed so damn bad)

Florence + The Machine: Between Two Lungs/Ceremonials (Deluxe)/MTV Unplugged/How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful (Deluxe)

Lana Del Rey: Born to Die – The Paradise Edition/Ultraviolence (Deluxe)/Honeymoon/Lust for Life

Silverchair: Neon Ballroom/Diorama/Young Modern

(The best three album run in history imo. Listening to all of Silverchair’s albums in chronological order, from Frogstomp all the way to Young Modern, is such a trip and I highly recommend it to everyone. Proof positive that you can become better as an artist, no matter how bad or young you may have been when you started)

Rihanna: Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded/Rated R/Loud/Talk That Talk (Deluxe)

The Midnight: Days of Thunder/Endless Summer/Nocturnal

Carly Rae Jepsen: Kiss/Emotion/Emotion Side B

Kate Miller-Heidke: Curiouser/Live at the HI-FI/Nightflight/O Vertigo!

Avril Lavigne: Let Go/Under My Skin/The Best Damn Thing

Gotye: Boardface/Like Drawing Blood/Making Mirrors

Janelle Monae: Metropolis: The Chase Suite (Special Edition)/The ArchAndroid/The Electric Lady

I personally hate the White Album. The Beatles holy trilogy is Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper.

One of my favorite bands growing up was Pearl Jam. I grew up in the 90s, and that period is crystalized by Ten, Vitalogy, and No Code. This was the soundtrack of my adolescence.

I’m probably just going to list my favourite artists here but:

QOTSA: QOTSA, Rated-R, Songs for the Deaf - Self titled debut was pretty much recorded by Josh Homme and gave birth to robot rock, 2nd record was the first album from the classic Queens line up, Songs for the Deaf was the definitve rock record for my generation. You could start from Rated-R and extend to Lullabies to Paralyze, but I don’t think most people would agree, as that album is a tougher listen and people are still up in arms with Josh kicking Nick out of the band for beating up his then girlfriend.

Muse: Origin of Symmetery, Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations - I used to be a massive Muse fan (my PSN and xbox live ID is still thepluginbaby. In my mind, Muse will never make a better album than Origins of Symmetery. Absolution effectively made them one of the best live acts, Black Holes & Revelations probably marked the beginning of what Muse have become now (lacking in direction, going big into the apocalyptic Queen vibes and using all those sexy latin words to make vague political points) I think they peaked with Knights of Cydonia. I can’t listen to their new stuff now.

Flaming Lips: Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, At War with the Mystics - These three albums represent the band’s symphonic era, and maybe At War pales in comparison to the previous two records which are two of my favourite albums of all time. Embryonic marked their turn into more experimental freak rock before going into darker territory in which it felt as if they gave up on all the feel good psychadelic hippie vibes of the symphonic era and embraced formless existenstial dread.

Tame Impala: Innerspeaker, lonerism, currents - I feel as if Lonerism is their most accessible album but Currents just grows in greatness with every listen.

Arcade Fire: Funeral, Neon Bible, The Suburbs - I think Funeral is probably their best album. Neon Bible was the band at their biggest and most anthemic, but I will always love The Suburbs, that album just imprinted itself on me.

Biffy Clyro: Infinity Land, Puzzle, Only Revolutions - More personal, me and this band go waaay back, from seeing them doing small gigs and daytime festival slots to one of the more popular rock bands in the UK. Puzzle marks the landmark moment in which the band became huge. That album is coloured by the lead singer losing his mother. Only Revolutions, is the band at their most anthemic - again I feel like they reached the plateau after that, an album and a double album later and it kind of all just sounds the same.

Dillinger Four: Midwestern Songs of the Americas, Versus God, Situationist Comedy.
I was torn between this run and starting at Versus God so that I could include CIVILWAR (and really I guess you could just make it a four album run), but damn these are some perfect punk albums just one after the other.

Jawbreaker: Unfun, 24 Hour Revenge Therapy, Dear You.
Once again some incredible work being done. I know acknowledging that Dear You fucking rocks means I am a sellout and not TRU PUNX, but fuck you. I would have included Bivouac but again, this is three album runs and I wanted Dear You.

The Hold Steady: Separation Sunday, Boys and Girls in America, Stay Positive.
Peak Hold Steady (by which I mean this is Franz Nicolay Hold Steady) and features some of Craig Finn’s best lyrics. They haven’t gotten back to these heights yet, though that’s nothing against their last two albums - these albums are basically unfuckwithable.

Quoted for truth. That series is exceptionally good, and unfuckwithable is a word I’m going to try to use more often.

This is tremendously fun!

Los Campesinos: Hold On Now Youngster / We are Beautiful, We are Doomed / Romance is Boring
Titus Andronicus: Airing of Grievances / The Monitor / Local Business (could also run from the monitor to the most lamentable tragedy)
Hold Steady: Almost Killed Me / Separation Sunday / Boys & Girls in America (really a toss up on ending with boys and girls or stay positive for me)
The Clash: The Clash / Give Em’ Enough Rope / London Calling

This is wild. I was just about to post the same jawbreaker Albums with the same reasoning you had regarding Dear You.

Also, I agree - D4 is such a difficult one to do because all four of their albums are fucking fantastic. I would have included ‘C I V I L W A R’ because I honestly think that it’s their most complete album yet. I really hope they make another album.

I’m ashamed of you all for not thinking of THE BOSS.

The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle/ Born To Run/ Darkness on the Edge of Town.

Probably my fav three album sequence, followed closed by any section of Kanye West’s career.

The reason I couldn’t do Bruce is because I wouldn’t know where to start/end. Like, your list is absolutely solid, but don’t you feel bad about leaving off The River or Nebraska?

This is the best thread ever. In all my internet years I’ve never seen such a solid list of albums.

To add a few I’ve not seen mentioned yet:

Russian Circles Geneva/Empros/Memorial
Chairman Mag Soup/Paint/Zoo
Kikagaku Moyo Forest of Lost Children/House in the Tall Grass/Stone Garden

Mogwai ought to be in here somewhere as well but I’ve never worked out their album chronology.

I think I’m just partial to big band, melodrama Springsteen. Much of the River starts into Bruce’s more poppy phase, and Nebraska is obviously so stark, that they don’t quite scratch the same itch for me. Also, those were that trio were the albums that I listened to the most as a teenager, so I think I have a strong identification with them.

With that said, The River is probably my favorite Springsteen track and Nebraska is just so damn good, so it’s a hard call.

Yeah I was agonizing over C I V I L W A R or Midwestern Songs of the Americas. I agree that C I V I L W A R is their most complete album, hands down. I think I gave it to Midwestern Songs out of pure nostalgia for singing along to 21 Said Three Times Fast and DoubleWhiskeyCokeNoIce while hammered on, shockingly, double whiskey cokes with no ice in college.

Ah, memories.

also @YoungTurnbuckle those first three Los Campesinos albums are immensely good. I think you could probably get away with bundling their last three albums together as well. Fine work from those good good Welsh lads and lasses.

I thought about Titus Andronicus but I honestly wasn’t huge on Local Businesses. The Monitor and Airing of Grievances are mind-blowingly good, though. I should probably check out their more recent stuff, huh?

Slowdive - Just for a Day / Souvlaki / Pygmalion

The Good Life - Black Out / Album of the Year / Help Wanted Nights

Italics = oh yeah

Pygmalion is such an underrated album.

I read somewhere recently that their recent reunion was planned with two albums in mind – one more representative of the Souvlaki style of songwriting, and a second more experimentally-minded (I guess more in the Pygmalion vein).

I need to give Just For A Day another listen at some point; I’ve always dismissed it a bit as being a bit too in awe of the Cocteau Twins (speaking of whom: Head Over Heels / Treasure / Victorialand :wink: )

There have been a lot of 90’s bands reuniting and releasing full-length albums in the last 5 or 6 years, and Slowdive’s self-titled submission into this category impresses as more than just a long-held curiosity, finally sated. (Shout-outs to Veruca Salt and Cibo Matto while I’m on the subject)

also, Rutti is one of the most beautiful songs ive ever heard

It’s been really nice hearing / reading interviews with them, where they talk about feeling genuinely happy that audiences / contemporary artists are interested in their music (they seem to have come about at precisely the wrong time in the 90s, where our often over-fashion-minded music press in the UK is concerned).

Thinking about shoegaze has brought to mind a few other three album runs: the first three albums by criminally underrated shoegazey weirdoes A Sunny Day In Glasgow were like holy texts to me in my late teens / early twenties.

Same with the three High Places albums (throw their EP comp in there, too, for good measure). One of the biggest influences on my own music making, too.

And Rachel Goswell almost going deaf!! man what a wild ride for a band. They seem like sweeties and I love all of their offshoot work, Mojave 3 in particular.

Haven’t listened to ASDIG in years!! ugh my shoegaze phase was the biggest fuckin mood. stoned on a sofa under purple rope lights after a breakup…ah, to be young and sad again

It’s weird. They’re a band that I think are so great, but they’re so of a specific time in my life that I (kind of naturally) don’t listen to them as much as I used to. Still haven’t heard their very most recent release, actually.

Miles Davis: In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson
Zeppelin: 4, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti
Last three Mastodon albums have been great too.