Best three album run by an artist?

My friend, you are in for beautiful and amazing ride. Have fun!

I feel like you could make the argument that any succession of his 70’s material or any succession of his 80’s/90’s material would be the best 3 album run of all time. There’s so much good stuff in his entire discography it’s kinda ridiculous.

Just wanted to say there’s so many good, informative answers here and I have a ton of music to listen to now :sunglasses:

I’d like to add a few more:
Mew: Frengers/And the Glass Handed Kites/No More Stories…

Genesis: A Trick Of The Tail/Wind And Wuthering/And Then There Were Three
(I’m sorry but this post Gabriel run was incredible, after these three I’m not as keen, but these three albums are rad as hell and the arc of the band trying to find footing again is really interesting)

If I had to pick a run for The Dear Hunter: Acts 1-3

Mew is a damn inspired choice, I never got too into them despite them being from the same country as me, but Frengers and Kites are absolutely stellar records in their own right worth checking out on their own regardless of their place in Mew’s larger discography.

Frengers is such a good gateway into art rock! I’ve probably lended it to everyone I knew in highschool at some point.

Sufjan Stevens’ run of Michigan, Seven Swans and Illinois ain’t bad

I mean you’re definitely not wrong but also: Romance Is Boring/No Blues/Sick Scenes imo

Brockhamption - All 3 Saturation albums
Dance Gavin Dance - Downtown Battle Mountain II, Acceptance Speech, Instant Gratification
(I don’t count Tree City Sessions, even though I should, as a fourth, and fifth is Mothership. I just feel DBMII is like, a real start to the period of DGD I love the most.)

looks left, looks right

Dave Matthews Band - Remember Two things, Under the Table and Dreaming, Crash.

Aerosmith - Aerosmith (1973), Get Your Wings (1974), and Toys in the Attic (1975).
My friends will forever give me shit for being super into Aerosmith, but there is just something about these early albums that just fucking rips. Especially Toys in the Attic.

Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose (2002), As the Eternal Cowboy (2003), Searching for a Former Clarity (2005).
I want to sneak The Disco Before the Breakdown EP (2002) in here as well (three of the best songs I think they have written). Against Me! was my go-to band in high school. The music and the lyrics of all three of these albums spoke to where I was at in certain stages of life and they continue to be played on heavy repeat whenever my friends and I start drinking and need a singalong.

BLINK 182 Dude Ranch, Enema of the State, Take Off Your Pants and Jacket

Those Aerosmith albums are legit great and definitive of the band. I think the run of Permanent Vacation, Pump, and about half of Get a Grip is also super strong. Maybe my taste changed, but it feels like everything after that just sounds like Cryin’ and Crazy revisited. We get it, Steven, you’re earnest now.

(Did I hallucinate SNL or something similar doing a parody of a Cryin’ and Crazy mashup?)

For sure. LC! is one of those bands for me where my favorite album is whichever one I am listening to. I grew up with them and so every album reflect how I was thinking and living at a particular time.

Not too sure about the SNL mashup (though it makes complete sense), but I’m thankful I have found someone who enjoys Aerosmith like I do hahaha.

This run from Andrew Bird feels pretty strong to me:

Andrew Bird & the Mysterious Production of Eggs / Armchair Apocrypha / Noble Beast

Oh! This might not count as they are Soundtracks but Darren Korb’s last three OST’s for Supergaint Gmae’s work has been Killer

Came here to post OK Computer / Kid A / Amnesiac. Since Amnesiac is basically B-Sides from Kid A recording sessions, makes perfect sense. Add in the OKNOTOK version of OKC and this three album run is definitely among the best ever.

Deerhoof: The Runners Four, Friend Opportunity, Offend Maggie

I was thinking about Deerhoof but couldn’t do it. This is however a very good choice of run. One of the greatest bands out there.

OOIOO: Gold and Green/Kila Kila Kila/Taiga

The more spacey atmospheric OOIOO is not my fave iteration of them overall (I prefer the nasty noise rock stylings of their s/t) but that 3 album run is absolutely the pinnacle of what they were going for and is fantastic as a result.