Best three album run by an artist?

Nobody there for first 3 Foo Fighters albums? Self Titled/Colour and the Shape/There Is Nothing Left To Lose was my youth. Also backing up every GKMC/TPAB/DAMN post, and getting popcorn for the Radiohead posts (never got on with OKC personally, love The Bends…).

Such a good stretch of albums. Honestly you could probably make a case for any of their albums from Reveille on.

My own personal list would be

Deerhunter: Microcastle, Weird Era Cont., Halcyon Digest
Chad VanGaalen: Diaper Island, Shrink Dust, Light Information

and it’s probably cheating since they’ve only put out three albums so far but Lower Dens.

CAN: Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, Future Days

Also tricot because they are a fun band: The, And, 3

The only thing that kept me from putting that tricot run in the OP is that I do not speak Japanese so I’ve never really been able to fully analyze how cohesive each album is (though that probably doesn’t matter all that much for most math rock).

That being said, the musical journey from all three of the albums has been fun. And they and Delta Sleep are pretty much my go-to’s if I need that good, good math rock real quick.

Same, though I won’t deny that @KestrelPi did a good job of picking that trio

These are the three CAN albums I own (keep meaning to get the Lost Tapes CD set and some of the other stuff).

Tricot are a band I need to investigate further. I was obsessed with the fun mathy gloriousness of their early singles

Lotta extremely good choices in this thread!

I’d like to recommend Neon Indian‘s Psychic Chasims, Era Extraña and VEGA Intl. Night School . And yeah, that’s basically the dudes whole discography, but they’re all so so good. Each of those albums has a special place in my heart

CAKE - Fashion Nugget, Prolonging the Magic, Comfort Eagle

I don’t know if it’s really the best three-album run, but if you give me a chance to drop CAKE into a music thread, I am taking it.

Oh, that’s a good three-album run.