Better late than never? Sony to allow PSN ID changes in the near future

So after the past couple weeks of implementing long requested features regarding PS Now and Cross Play, Sony is apparently ready to tackle the next big wishlist item–PSN ID changes.

via the Playstation Blog
“During the preview program, you will be able to change your online ID as many times as you want. The first change is free, and changes after that will cost $9.99 USD / CAD. For PlayStation Plus members, it will cost $4.99 USD/ CAD after the first change.”

One interesting thing to note is this bit: “This feature is compatible with PS4 games originally published after April 1, 2018, and a large majority of the most-played PS4 games that were released before this date. However, please note not all games and applications for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita systems are guaranteed to support the online ID change, and users may occasionally encounter issues or errors in certain games.”

Not sure how friends list and name changes work on other services like Xbox Live, but I’d be interested to see how this part shakes out.

Anyway, I likely won’t be using this feature, I’m happy with my ‘BlueBl1zzard’ I’ve kept throughout the years, but it’s cool other users who’ve wanted to change their names for so long finally get the chance. Fellow Waypointers, excited or nah?

Honestly, I don’t really care about what my PSN name is, but if the switch is generally bug-free I’ll probably switch it to another dumb joke that I’ll get sick of a couple months later.
Coincidentally, no one take xX_AngelaMurkyall_Xx please and thank you.

In looking through the comments on the PS Blog post, I saw somebody said they are transgender and made their PSN ID based on their dead name, so they are very glad for the changes. I didn’t even consider that scenario, so it’s cool it gets to help someone out in that way.

That’s basically why you’ve got to offer screen name, real name, and e-mail address changing services for platforms. Also marriages, etc as other classic examples of why this is required. As a society we absolutely expect people to change names occasionally.

My 11 year old PSN name is my greatest shame… Well second greatest, but what happens in a Dave and Busters, stays in a Dave & Busters.

Glad this is happening as I didn’t really think it would ever become a thing. Now I can finally change SephirothItachi- to match my username everywhere else.

I’m interested, but will be even more excited if it allows for short names (4 or 5 letters).

I mean, if you consider “Games made before April 2018 might not work right or at all” bug free. But this seems like the kind of thing you might not want to use unless you REALLY want that name change. They’re upfront about the limitation but that’s a pretty big deal imo.

Overwatch and Tekken 7 are the only online games I’ve spent a decent amount of time playing on my PS4, so as long as those are fine and it doesn’t screw with my online library I think I’m good.

I’ve been thepluginbaby on PSN for about 13 years now. And let me tell you, I am not as big into Muse now as I was when I was 20…

I dislike my PSN username a lot but I’m lucky to have not tied any dead names or exes or insensitive phrases to it, just the product of an edgy teen with much more infantile English language comprehension.

I would’ve abandoned it ages ago had it not been so tied to literally everything I’ve ever purchased on a Playstation console. I’m so glad to see this change finally start to spin up, especially for those who are burdened with more unfortunate name choices, I just hope they don’t take too long to iron out potential issues that crop up from doing it.

My Muse appreciation seems to have disappeared into a supermassive black hole.

Oh god y’all, now I’m dead inside.

I barely use my PSN account these day but thank fucking god I can be ClairvoyantVibes everywhere now and not the shitty name I came up with when I played RuneScape when I was 10 and used because fuck man idk