Big RPG recommendations

So I just finished Dragon Age 2, after playing Inquisition a couple of times, and it was just my jam. I love a big RPG with romance, fun interactions between characters, and I’m hankering for something new, instead of returning to the well of RPGs I have played too many times.

So! I’m reaching out and hoping for some suggestions. What I’m looking for:

Long-ish: I’d like at least double-digit hours
Romance: I’m a sucker for a game that lets me find love
Interesting NPCs: I like a world that excites me!
Not too hard: I like a game that doesn’t present too much of a challenge. I play BioWare games on casual, as a frame of reference.

Any ideas? I’m eager for something new and just plum out at this point.

If you haven’t played Alpha Protocol yet, then definitely that! It basically has all the points you’re looking for, and on the easiest difficulty the game’s mechanical shortcomings are minimized.

The Witcher 3 seems like it would be right up your alley if you haven’t tried it yet. Yakuza as well if you have a PlayStation.

If you’re accepting anime-ass JRPGs in this then The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is the best one (and also the second-best one, since the first game ends in a big old cliffhanger that you need to play the sequel to resolve) and it has all those things that you want.

Seconding Witcher 3 here - the writing in that game is great, lots of simmering romance and a cool world. I’m also in the camp of it being more fun on the normal and casual difficulty levels.

Obsidian’s got some gems like Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity; no romance in the latter, but there will be in PoE2 so you can think of it as a very, very slow burn!

There’s also Torment: Tides of Numenera - again, no romance per se, but it has some incredible worldbuilding and NPCs, and with the right stats/perks you can talk your way out of almost every combat encounter.

Ever thought of the Persona games?

Bad idea, those games are littered with insta-death, despite being the easier spinoffs to the Shin Megami Tensei series.

You should check out Dragon Age: Origins if you haven’t already. It is a very good game that also has romance options (though only one option for gay men and woman) and should be fairly easy on the lowest difficulty setting. Otherwise, I would check out Fallout: New Vegas, which fits all of your criteria to me.

Over half a decade later, I still can’t believe that GB got through a whole True Ending run of Persona 4, on their first go, and only got bullshitted to death once.

Final Fantasy VII ticks all those boxes and is probably my favorite game of all times.

Thanks for the recommendations, all!

Alpha Protocol looks like it might be just what I was looking for. I might just have to bite at only $15 on Steam…

I have thought about Witcher 3 - I remember trying Witcher and being frustrated at the combat, and also bouncing off Witcher 2 in, like, fifteen minutes. Maybe I should give them another try.

Obsidian’s isometric games have been more hit-or-miss with me; I have both PoE and Tyranny and found them both slow and boring. It’s also why I’ve never been able to finish any of the Baldur’s Gate-era CRPGs.

Really, I should probably just give DA:Origins a try again. I have played it a few times, but have always gotten hung up on some of the bigger boss battles - the closest I ever got was to the archdemon but I just couldn’t beat him despite trying a dozen times. Maybe I should play it as a mage? I found DA:I much easier as a mage than as a rogue.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming! :slight_smile:

Jade Empire and the Knights of The Old Republic games if you haven’t already.

Divinity Original Sin 2
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption

Final Fantasy 8 checks all those boxes for me, but if you’re looking for something with action elements it’s probably not the best choice.

Maybe I should stop talking about how good FF8 is whenever I am given an opportunity on this site.

Oh! I forgot about the Tales of series!

No romance, as you are following a set of characters and not having your own player stand-in, but they’re all heavily action focused and are kind of revolutionary in that regard. The actually quality of them, though, is…questionable.

The old games are a crap shoot. The entire PS2/Gamecube era is generally strong, with Symphonia and Abyss having the best stories (and Abyss having about thirty plot twists that all somehow manage to work). Legendia has the best battle system, made with some Soul Calibur devs, but it suffers from the worst second half of any RPG ever made, both in terms of gameplay (four dungeons are literal copy pastes) and narrative (DO NOT EVEN GET ME STARTED).

The series is generally pretty well received in all major releases after. The crossover games are light on story, though, and I would not recommend Symphonia’s Wii sequel.

Also, beware of the PC ports, they’re all notoriously buggy.

If you like Star Wars: KOTOR 2

If you hate Star Wars: KOTOR 2

That… thats the final boss.

Boot up that save, knock it down to easy and beat it!

The archdemon is the final boss for that game. If you can’t beat it, it’s totally fine. From what I remember, you just get a few cutscenes that wrap up the story. Those CRPGs are a lot slower paced than most video games and are fairly obtuse, at least for me. You might want to check out Nox, a Diablo-like game that is fun and fast paced and has loot. I haven’t played that game in a long time, but I remember it being goofy fun.

WRPG’s: Kotor 2 (There’s a same sex romance mod sort of, if you want it),
JRPG’s: The Ar Tenalico series (if you can find them), Record of Agarest series (a tad difficult though, they’re SRPG’s), .hack/g.u. recode

I played Persona 4: Golden for the PS Vita and there it has a super easy difficulty mode were you basically never can die. And yes i had some problems with Persona 5 towards the end but that was mostly because i was to naive to change the difficulty down to easy.