'BioShock' is Still Great, 10 Years Later. Here's Why

It's been 10 years since we first set foot in Rapture.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/3kkv93/bioshock-is-still-great-10-years-later-heres-why

In a cultural sense, Bioshock always reminded me of The Dark Knight, in that it came out of general obscurity, blew up attention for both itself and the media it was aligned with(superhero movies for TDK and Vidya gamez for Bioshock), causing people to write a whole lot of ‘X can truly be art and this proves it!’ takes, which were then followed by a bunch of ‘was X actually good?’ takes, with those coming around back again every couple of years.

(The answer of course is that yes, Bioshock really was good, it was fantastic. It’s one of the best games ever made and is still the best immersive sim)

I played through both 1 and 2 this year (and Minerva’s Den) and while both definitely are still great games, I feel the second one has aged much better. So yeah, you should replay that one if you have the time.

Also Immersive Sim is the worst name for a genre and I’ll never not hate it.

I’m still a little mad at myself for not coming back to this game after getting “stuck” in a Big Daddy encounter (I REALLY sucked at this game).

The story and atmosphere were right up my alley, but I never finished it.

This is one of the few games where I don’t get what people go on about. I played it just a few years ago (on 360) for the first time, and I really didn’t like it. It’s perhaps not a bad game exactly, but certainly a bad action game?
It’s filled with predictable scripted sequences, bullet sponges, weird boss fights.
The audio logs was a terrible influence on games overall.
The story is… what it is. You guess who the villain is the exact moment he appears but whatever.
Gameplay is frustrating at every moment, but at least you can run through most environments if I remember correctly. If you die you just spawn at the thing and try to run again. Pretty sure that’s how I managed to power through the game.

You know what I want? A game set in Rapture where I can walk around in peace talking to people and I dunno, do anything besides the things you do in Bioshock.

Infinite is hot garbage and BioShock 2 (mostly Minerva’s Den but the base game too) is the best in the series.

@mango This happens in the DLC for Infinite, which is the least bad part of Infinite.