Blades in the Dark vs. Scum and Villiany

Hey y’all,

I’m trying to do a tabletop game with some friends during quarantine. I REALLY like the two Friends at the Table seasons that used Blades in The Dark and Scum and Villiany and I know they’re very similar.

I was wondering if there were any huge differences between the two that would make you suggest one over the other for newer tabletop players? It seems like the biggest difference is theme but I want to make sure i’m not missing any big rule that would make one an obviously better choice.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I played Bladed in the Dark very briefly, and I’m in the middle of a campaign of Scum and Villainy with some friends. There are some small differences in terms of the faction systems I believe, as well as heat, and money IIRC, but as far as I know, they’re too small to make a big deal about. It ultimately does come down to theme. Again, I don’t have hours of experience with Blades in the Dark, so maybe someone else could shed some light on that, but in my experience, there’s not much different besides theme.

3 Likes

First, ditto what @AlexLemoine said.

Some of the key differences for me:

The default tone of Scum & Villainy is slightly more heroic/cinematic/forgiving than that of Blades. This reflects both the touchstones and the fact that in S&V the crew has Gambits an additional, crew-level resource for bonus dice.

In Blades, the group sheet is the Crew. In Scum & Villainy, it is the ship. There are fewer ship types than crew types. Ships are fairly customizable but break down into the archetypes of “Smuggler” “Bounty Hunter” and “Rebel”.

1 Like

Thanks y’all! I ended up going with Scum and Villiany because my friends will probably dig scifi more than industrial fantasy.

4 Likes