Blizzard's Hong Kong Screw-Up Is Officially an International Incident

Outrage at Activision Blizzard is mounting after the company suspended Hearthstone pro Chung “Blitzchung” Ng Wai for declaring his support of Hong Kong’s protest movement. Fans are mad, U.S. politicians are angry, and there’s evidence that even Blizzard’s employees are upset.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bjw535/blizzards-hong-kong-screw-up-is-officially-an-international-incident
1 Like

Wow, who knew siding with an aggressive, authoritarian regime over your own fans, players, and commenters (who literally did nothing) wouldn’t go over well.

4 Likes

I hate Rubio, he’s my senator, but it’s always fun to see him turn his terrible gaze on someone else instead of traumatized teenagers.

What a catastrophe. I am glad Blizzard is getting a massive clapback for this.

2 Likes

Imagine fucking up so bad that Marco Rubio gets to condemn something you did.

12 Likes

Much like EA with loot boxes, if a US Senator knows what you did, you done goofed.

2 Likes

Wonder who else will have ample opportunities to stick their feet in their mouths as things escalate over there. League is pretty popular in China still, isn’t it? Has Riot said anything or are they just standing perfectly still behind the nearest Blizzard-shaped object?

In a world where western companies had forced labor from the internment camps in xinjiang in their supply chains, this blizzard response is incredibly not surprising

1 Like