British Politics

For some reason I feel like confessing. So, here we go:

Political Mistakes I Have Made: A History

In the 1997 general election when I was 15 years old, I argued strongly for the tories. In my defense, I was extremely politically unaware at this point and all I really had to go on is a deep instinctual mistrust of Tony Blair which I feel actually turned out to be justified. But the memory of me spouting off at how people should vote Tory when I didn’t know what the fuck I was talking about haunts me to this day.

I once voted Boris Johnson for mayor of London. I didn’t like him or the other candidates, but in the case of Boris I thought ‘hey, what harm could he possibly do as Mayor of London, better there than in some really crucial cabinet role’. At the time I didn’t recognise it as a stepping stone to greater prominence. This was an error.

I backed the Lib Dems in the 2010 election. I quite liked what Clegg had to say, I still mistrusted Labour from the Blair years, and I didn’t expect him to go into coalition with the Tories. They turned out to be worse than useless in power, squandering an opportunity to transform our electoral system forever and failing students with their compromises.

Having joined the Labour Party in the hopes of getting it to align with its stated core principles for the first time since I’ve had the right to vote, I left the Labour Party in the middle of the post-referendum leadership squabble. I was disappointed with Corbyn’s reaction to Brexit and lack of opposition and I was disappointed with the PLP for initiating a leadership squabble at a time when it was crucial to be united. I don’t regret leaving, I think in that moment they didn’t deserve my membership.

My mistake was in joining the Liberal Democrats. It made sense to me at the time, even though I’d told myself never again to trust them. I had some hope that they would be able to put forward the anti-Brexit argument in Labour’s relative absence, and that the social democratic wing of the party would inflate to fill the vaccuum created by Labour’s squabbling. They were far from perfect - still far too happy to defend their record, and far too centrist over all, and I disliked their leader, but with help, I thought, maybe there was common cause there.

They disappointed, of course. Not as unified against brexit as they would claim, refusing to work with Labour in a progressive alliance or coalition, and oddly defensive of a leader who… nobody really seems to think is any good, I started to see them as this kind of useless blob in the middle of British politics. So I gave up on them and on reflection they hadn’t done nearly enough to earn a second chance. I just wanted something to hope for.

I believe that’s all

My local Tory MP had a bit of a meltdown in his speech after successfully holding his seat, accusing the local Labour party of running a negative campaign (uh, mate, look at Theresa May’s entire campaign, e.g. talking about how people don’t want to see a naked Jeremy Corbyn), and get back to me. Also, the negative campaign? Pointing to his voting record (anti same sex marriage, anti human rights, reducing corporation tax), and how he’s a part time MP. All verified facts. Also, he was taking and possibly still takes(?) £2,000 a month for allegedly 10 hours work “providing advice to the centre on its work on international relations covering Europe and the Middle East”. He says that the organisation is “an independent think tank based in Riyadh and not funded by the Saudi Government”. It’s called the King Faisal Center. Oh, and it’s run by the children of the late King Faisal, who are part of the ruling Saudi Arabian royal family. Oh, and on a totally unrelated note, this was an oral question from February last year:

The international community had previously asked Arab countries to do more in the fight against Daesh [Isis]. Having just returned from leading a parliamentary delegation to Saudi Arabia, I understand that the Saudi authorities are prepared to send ground troops into Syria to defeat Daesh but require air cover for their international partners. Will the United Kingdom and other partners look at that request?

But I’m sure that’s totally unrelated.

I honestly cannot get over Canterbury. Like, I know this isn’t a deep take but, like, wow.

Politics in NI is so polarised, that by compromising to reach an accord as they did in the early 2000s the SDLP and UUP are now virtually unelectable in a first past the post system. The DUP and SF have always stuck to their (extreme, sectarian) positions, and so have very loyal support.

Mate, that was huge.

Last leader to take it off them was Gladstone. Gladstone! Just amazing.

I think you underestimate just how much Rowling hates Tories, given the entirety of HP started as basically anti-Thatcher fanfic

A bit of an aside here, but this thread has been a really comfortable corner of the internet since these forums started up with lots of interesting and well-informed people talking politely and carefully about what is going on. I have really appreciated that. Thanks everyone :+1:

I think her Corbyn hatred may finally break her.

god i hope the DUP tell the Tories to get fucked but also we can’t rely on tim farron to not be a huge prick

I don’t trust the Lib Dems for shit, but I get the feeling they’re at least aware that going back for seconds with the Tories would probably finish them off, particularly because they would probably have to ditch or at least heavily alter their anti Brexit stance to get anywhere. After all the shit Clegg got for the tuition fees betrayal, they’d have to be properly masochistic to countenance it.

Clearly doesnt hate them that much because shes shilling for the lib dems now

Nobody should lose hope, even with the support of the disgusting DUP they have a majority of 2. They need all their MPs to show up, all the time to hope to pass anything, they’ll create a clusterfuck of politics in Northern Ireland. Just because May is attempting to form a government doesn’t mean she can and it doesn’t mean it will work. She’s dead in the water

What is it about supporting the Lib Dems that makes it impossible to dislike the Conservative party in its current incarnation?

There’s a lot of high-grade schadenfreude to be found in Blairites’ old tweets. It’d be a lot more fun if a bunch of them weren’t still convinced that Labour would totally have won for real if they hadn’t been held back by Corbyn’s unquestionable unelectability, though.

I really wish the Blairites would just fuck the fuck off.

(any excuse to post this)

Is anyone else wondering what would have happened if May had lost in a landslide and Labour got a majority? I’m starting to think she’d still be planning her authoritarian state and expecting the army to shoot anyone who tried to evict her.

Also I now feel like applying for research jobs (I do dependable software and systems work) in the UK is possibly the most pointless thing I’ve ever done as those jobs are simply not going to exist if this happens.

What is it with BBC Question Time always having a shower of scum as the audience.