Bungie Takes Down a 'Destiny 2' Cheat Maker With a Legal Threat

The developer of Destiny 2 forced the makers of a popular cheat service to take down their bundle for the game with a cease and desist letter. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wx8epw/bungie-takes-down-destiny-2-cheat-perfectaim-with-legal-threa

Kind of curious to see how this would play out in court. There’s plenty of software that can hook into destiny right now that Bungie doesn’t care about such as Discord.

Also I feel like doing a selective pick of who Bungie goes after seems unfair, there’s plenty of other cheat creators out there why this one? Why not go after something larger like say Cheat Engine? Do the courts care that Bungie isn’t going to go after someone like Cheat Engine because that’s much easier for Bungie to detect?

Is there even legal ground to sue a cheat creator? The users the one violating their EULA not the cheat creator. They’re just selling them software.

Not defending cheaters just want to know if there’s even actual legal ground for a company to sue, it seems like it would be a hard case to win as you would need to at the very least prove damages and I’m not sure how you begin to measure that with an ongoing game.

The Destiny license agreement requires that you not:

(7) reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works of this Program, in whole or in part; (8) hack or modify the Program, or create, develop, modify, distribute, or use any unauthorized software programs to gain advantage in any online or multiplayer game modes;

Developing and distributing any sort of Destiny cheat software would violate both of these clauses, so Bungie’s case would be as sound as any other case based on license agreements.

Right but how does one enter into agreement with this license? If I come over to your house and play Destiny 2 have I unknowingly signed an agreement I was never shown?

My understanding would be that Bungie would first have to prove it was me who actually viewed and clicked agreed on this.

Not to mention reverse engineering is not exactly illegal as far as I’m aware outside of a EULA. Compaq legally reverse engineered an IBM computer I do not see why the same can not be done with software. It’s why emulator authors are refusing to look at the leaked source code for various consoles.

I think this would be a much harder case to win then people think.

It’s standard legal intimidation, basically. Bungie can use this claim to send a C&D. It’s bullshit and probably wouldn’t hold up to scrutiny, but can you actually afford the legal challenge? That’s the situation the cheat creators are in right now.