'Call of Duty: WWII' Seems Like Yet Another Hollywood Take on World War II

Our understanding of WWII has expanded since 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Medal of Honor.' Will the new Call of Duty understand that?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/call-of-duty-wwii-seems-like-yet-another-hollywood-take-on-world-war-ii

big red one is the most underrated call of duty with the most impactful story. judging by the amount of big red one images in the trailer id assume the devs are trying to go for the same story structure as cod 2’s predecessor.

Great article, but I feel the need to point out another overlooked American World War 2 campaign: that time the Japanese invaded Alaska. Contrary to popular belief we are part of America.

The aside about World at War’s invisible morality system blew my mind a little bit, because I just played it a few months ago and I had no idea that system was there. (I got the “good” ending, btw.) A lot of adventure games like Life is Strange, Telltale’s library or Dreamfall Chapters are obsessed with choice and consequences, and they take every opportunity to tell the player “what you just did will change something.” So it’s cool to see Big and Dumb Call of Duty do something clever and subtle in its storytelling, even if all it changes is part of the epilogue. Even though WaW is almost 9 years old it feels like a hint of what blockbuster action games will be in the future, taking the player’s actions into account behind the scenes, allowing role-playing without breaking the flow of the action and narrative.

I’m glad someone noticed this. Many tend to forget that several of the Aleutian Islands were occupied for a long period of time by the Imperial Japanese military.

A lot of the disappointment for me with this lies in the fact that Battlefield 1 at least made an attempt to tell stories about World War I through multiple perspectives. They showed how dangerous and terrifying the circumstances were during that time (Especially that paragraph about the short lifespan of early combat aviators) The moment COD:WWII showed the Omaha Beach scene it felt like they were basically making a polished and better looking Call of Duty 2.

It probably would’ve been better if it had been set in other theatre of operations, much like WaW tried to (That game just had bad timing coming out after COD4) by covering Peleliu and the Soviets’ push across Eastern Europe.

Also, while I agree that while The Pacific wasn’t as popular because it showed the war in a more brutal light its predecessor, the jumping around between characters also made that series a little disjointed personally and it wasn’t until Sledge gets into the Marines (Halfway through the series) that I started liking it.

You’d think that in a ‘world’ war there’d be plenty of perspectives to choose from.

It’s hard to dispute this article and I definitely agree with it. I think the ‘long break’ from World War II games has encouraged a conservatism in this game’s setup, as the Normandy beaches no longer feel so ‘done’ in the pitch room than they might have done ten years ago. As a historian, it’s a definite shame, because I feel like, as Rath points out in the article, World War II went far beyond Europe in its importance.

I’m not going to bag on the developer for deciding to go with what they did and this game may still be surprising, although I’m not a Call of Duty player.