Canadian Politics: 43rd Parliament

Based on the previous thread by mnec (42nd Parliament) found here.

Overview of Government:

Monarch

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada and her other realms and territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada

Senate

House of Commons

By Riding:

By Province (colour intensity denotes vote %):

Major Headlines So Far

Donald Trump has the blood of 63 Canadian citizens (and some of their families) on his hands.

I am so pissed off right now, that’s all I can say.

1 Like

I don’t mean for this to be a call-out, but at every crisis there’s always an emphasis by the Canadian media on the number of Canadian lives affected, as if the fact that we share a citizenship would make me feel worse than I already do.

E: Giving it a bit of thought, there are reasons to note it, bringing it to the attention of loved ones being one.

3 Likes

Y’know, I try the best I can to let the shitshow down south be their own problem, but seriously, fuck the US war machine sowing chaos and death wherever they go.

5 Likes

It’s a tragedy that anyone was killed, that’s absolutely certain. And I don’t want to downplay the other deaths as any less tragic, even though I know full well that I unfortunately am.

But the thing that makes this a political issue, however, is not that our closest and longest ally, the ally Canada shares one of the longest borders in the world with, the country in the world with the biggest stick and has a history of hitting other countries for unjust reasons with it, a nation with a history of just leveling societies with that stick for no other reason than “well, we thought they might have a stick”, the United States of America, has a leader that has spent the last several years antagonizing a country across the world on little more than Fox News drivel, has been constantly pointing that stick in their direction since he’s been in office, and has now, after years of threats and the diplomacy of a tantruming two year old, used that stick to kill a member of their government, leading to a situation where everyone is on high fucking alert at all times, even to the point of shooting down a plane full of Iran citizens because they don’t want thousands of people to be bombed to hell and back.

The thing that makes it a political issue is that 63 of those people were also Canadian. And the only one to blame is Trump.

So, yeah, it is a tragedy that all those lives are gone. Every single one of them. But it’s been over thirty fucking years of the US (and others, ourselves included in Afghanistan) just massacring people over there and no one seems to give a fuck, on either side of the border. Maybe this time saying how people suffer and die and how their families and communities will be forever changed will have a different impact when it’s happening in almost every major Canadian city in Canada right now. Maybe that will snap people into reality and think, hey, maybe we shouldn’t let that horse just run loose and do whatever he wants in that hospital.

Maybe the best thing is to get the horse out of the hospital by any means. Otherwise people fucking die.

5 Likes

Yeah, even in my relatively small town there are news headlines of local people who died in the crash. It’s human nature to feel tragedy more acutely when it’s closer to home. I don’t necessarily think it’s heartlessness for other countries’ citizens.

2 Likes

As much as I didn’t want to sound all “we’re all citizens of the world, man”, I probably did, and could have benefited from thinking about the situation more than I did, especially given the current state of the world.

3 Likes

It’s all good. I am just… very angry and frustrated and took it out partially directed at you. Sorry about that.

We’re good though.

2 Likes

So the most likely scenario was, in fact, what happened.

• Iran retaliated against American bases for the killing of Soleimani (justifiably so, considering the legality of what America did is dubious at best)
  • This lead to all of Iran being on high alert for further American aggression.
  • The plane, due to that heightened tension, was incorrectly thought to be a threat and shot down.
  • Now, through human error brought upon by intense pressure, stress, fear, and anxiety directly caused by an absolute madman threatening and hitting people with his big stick, 176 people died, 57 of which were Canadian citizens (a clarified number from the Canadian government) and another 81 of which were coming to our country, most of which were visiting family and returning to school.
  • Trump killed 57 Canadian citizens.
  • Trump killed 131 people who were part of our families and communities.
4 Likes

when the mask comes off

4 Likes

If this is Canada doing its best, then the whole country is a spectacular failure.

Solidarity with the Wet’suwet’en nation. Fuck Trudeau.

5 Likes

It’s logical endpoint of “woke” capitalism, softly telling indigenous people to stop resisting colonialism

2 Likes

:fist: :fist: :fist:

5 Likes

Andrew Scheer, having a normal one

1 Like

Hey all, if you’re looking for stuff to read to get a picture of the Wet’suwet’en situation, APTN’s got a good page that collects all their reporting on the subject:

3 Likes

Why isn’t he in jail for stealing taxpayer money again?

Oh right free market capitalism protects the top and makes them completely unaccountable for any of the shit they do.

1 Like

IIRC, he didn’t steal taxpayer money. Rather, he took Conservative donor funds to pay for his kids’ private school. Sometimes I wish I lacked the morals to just cash in on the right wing scam.

1 Like

I admit, the prospect of abandoning all my principles and rooking all these fools for massive amounts of cash has crossed my mind more than once

2 Likes

This is a really depressing, but entirely unsurprising statement from Singh, especially given the arrests today

2 Likes

I don’t like him praising the CEOs of the company, who are just as at fault as the government for this whole colonialist bullshit, but it really is the police that are escalating things nationally.

Props to everyone out there protesting and continuing (or even starting!) to protest after yesterday’s arrests.

3 Likes